Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MFJ-4225MV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-4225MV
MFJ-4225MV Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $149.00
Description: 25A Continuous (32A peak) Switching Power supply with variable voltage output.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-4225MV.

AD7NQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2012 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Fan Noise Fix  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this unit for free when I purchased a transceiver from a fellow ham. Once I tried it out, I realized he didn't want it because of the fan noise. A 50-ohm, 2-watt resister in the fan circuit did wonders...almost whisper quiet with adequate ventilation. Considering how well it's built, I'll have it forever and will give it a 5/5 rating.
KB8BAB Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2012 09:49 Send this review to a friend
We're ready for take-off Captain...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like the power supply, nice and small. Sounded like there was a jet engine ready for take-off! Put a 50 Ohm resistor inline to slow the fan up a bit.
Other than that, no complaints.
KF7YEL Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2012 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently recieved my new MFJ-4225MV power supply and so far I am very pleased with it.It is light weight and easy to carry around. There is a slight noise from the fan but hardly enough to be a problem. Overall, a very good power supply.
WB6FLY Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2011 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Nice unit, but...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Although the MFJ-4225MV is a very capable unit, it does suffer from the same design flaw that is found in many Astron units: The negative terminal is internally connected to chassis ground. This often causes AC hum to occur in audio circuits, due to a ground loop, and it may cause data corruption in repeater controllers.

I was able to eliminate this ground connection by inserting a thin insulating washer beneath the PC board, at the screw nearest the voltage adjust pot. The procedure and photos are posted on the Repeater-Builder list.

When I ran a load test on this unit, I discovered that the AC current draw exceeds the rating of the 5A mains fuse, even at 22 amps load. The fuse should be 6.3 amps to permit full rated load. The load test report is also posted on the R-B site.
W8KQE Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2011 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Great power supply and value! Works great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having an Astron 35M all these years (14 years and still working perfectly!), this is my first foray into lightweight switching type power supplies. I needed an all around, value driven PS to use to operate 'backyard (patio) portable', since I enjoy being outdoors a lot during the summer months. The MFJ 4225MV more than fits the bill. I love the compactness, twin meters, variable output, and 13.8 VDC detente position, as well as the lighter plug socket. I've also not experienced any hash or noise as well, and was encouraged at the QST test reviews on MFJ switching supplies that seem to confirm this. My only minor nitpick would be the constant on fan being a tad bit noisy, but this is less of an issue if you position the power supply a few feet away from your transceiver, or under a desk. In summation, fantastic job MFJ!
W5NM Rating: 1/5 Oct 28, 2010 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Noisy Agreed!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one of these for 3 years. It drove me crazy.
Good power supply, but the fan noise was just too much for my shack.
I sold it at a ham fest and bought 2 Samlex power supplies...
NO noise... and only a little RFI down low on
HA4ZD Rating: 2/5 Oct 27, 2010 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Noisy fan  Time owned: more than 12 months
This PS is very noisy! When the cover is removed the fan noise strongly reduced, so with some care during redesign this PS could become a very good one. There is no improvement during this long long life cycle of this product.
N5VEG Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2010 04:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent supply, price not withstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At the New Orleans Hamfest the other day I got a new MFJ 4225MV 25 Amp switching power supply. I have been using the old Pyramid and Astron plain face models for years but needed something that had more features. This MFJ supply caught my eye because it had all the features I wanted plus a couple more!

This supply has two large lighted meters one for current and one for voltage. It is adjustable from 9 to 16 volts and has LED's for both on/off and fan. Power poles and a 7 amp car lighter plug are up front. I like the fact that I can now see the amount of current my radio pulls with just a glance at the meter.

Some have complained that the fan is noisy but I don't notice it when the HF rig is on as it easily overpowers it. Did I mention it is very light weight? No hernia with this supply! There is NO noticeable "hash" on my particular example. (it is also grounded)

Overall, I think MFJ has got a good product in this unit and the bonus of dual metering is a definite attraction.
WB8UUJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2010 21:37 Send this review to a friend
I'm quite satisfied....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Believe me, I'm willing and able to label a specific MFJ product as "a piece junk" when it is, but I've had my MFJ-4225MV since October 2007 and I am honestly quite satisfied with it. I carry it back and forth from Michigan to Florida each winter and I use it with HF as well as VHF/UHF rigs. Its specs and its physical size seem to suit my needs well. I also enjoy the "lighted" meters and the detent power adjustment knob. A negative factor for me, however, are the 5-way high-current binding posts. I realize that these 5-way posts are what everyone considers state-of-the-art these days, but for proper connections they do require either commercially manufactured spade connectors or "homemade" spade connectors, formed by using diagonal cutters on ring connectors. And yes, to be sure, the fan is not silent. But I'm somewhat hard of hearing at this point in my life and I keep the supply either under my operating table in my Michigan shack or around the corner on a shelf in my Florida shack.
KE4GRP Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2009 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Works just fine.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had bought one of these about 8-10 years ago for outdoor operation, and it has worked just fine for that period of time. Very light weight-easy to move around. Bought another one last year to run my Kenwood TS 480HX(it takes two).

Anyway, yes, there is a fan noise, but everything else I have running also has a fan noise, which is not really noticable after while. After hauling around the Astron 35 (another fine ps), it is a pleasure to move MFJ.