Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MFJ-4225MV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-4225MV
MFJ-4225MV Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $149.00
Description: 25A Continuous (32A peak) Switching Power supply with variable voltage output.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-4225MV

You can write your own review of the MFJ-4225MV.

WA2EWE Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2007 20:55 Send this review to a friend
Very Reliable!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a fine product. I bought mine to use in Iraq with 220 volt AC power (my Alinco is 120 volt only) and found that it survived the trip, the dust, and the abuse. Ok, the fan is always on and not quite quiet. Also, while this unit works very well, it would be more convenient to have five way binding posts on the back of the unit too. I will add these aling with a fan switch myself.

Jim, WA2EWE

W6EOD Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2007 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Works  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It works good, but the fan is loud. Otherwise no problems.

K0KNX Rating: 2/5 Mar 8, 2007 03:56 Send this review to a friend
Dud  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess I got a Dud. Quite a bit of hash on mine makes it unuseable on HF. I got a Astron and have not used this one since

KC0TLH Rating: 2/5 Feb 12, 2007 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Broke Twice  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I bought it it worked great for six months but then broke. It was a thirty dollar repair, but covered under warranty. Now a year later no warranty, same problem again. Also I had some problems with voltage drop at high loads.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2007 07:22 Send this review to a friend
It works.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
It pains me to say, but MFJ got this one right.....I've had mine since they came out (several years) and it works and works as advertised!! Never detected RF hash -- I use to do a lot of 6-mtr DXing and was surprised the power supply was clean on this band as well!

Cheers!

K3PRN Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2007 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Good Power Supply but Expensive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received a MFJ-4225MV adjustable power supply on a trade. The unit is very attractive with the double meters, small in size, but very expensive new. I wanted the unit as a backup for my two Samlex SEC1223 plus having the lighter socket is helpful. I prefer having rear power connectors for connecting to rigs and the fan is rather loud, as was mentioned by other reviewers. I gave the unit a four rating because of its cost and fan noise. I feel that the average ham would get more value for their money by the Samlex units and the fan noise. The unit produces very low rf hash as tested by QST. I don't have problems with either Samlex either.

OE3SGU Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2006 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Good but to expensive  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one back in 1999 and used it for travelling. It was ok, the fan was a bit loud, RF hash really no problem and finish was fine. The only pain here is the price, its double of the "Telecom" units which are basically the same and just as well (with even a less noisier fan)

W5TD Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2006 10:38 Send this review to a friend
MFJ got this one right  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I know that everyone has an opinion on MFJ (I have had good experiences with them) but MFJ got it right with this power supply. First off, go look at the QST reviews for their different switching power supplies-each one comes in as one of the quietest supplies in terms of RF hash. Can't beat that, and it shows that MFJ knows what they are doing when building these PS. I have had no RF noise from this one.

I have owned switching PS from Diamond, Astron, and Samlex in the past. The MFJ PS is a little taller than the Astron and Samlex, but it is also a little less wide, and still very light. And unlike the Astron and Samlex, the MFJ has actual binding posts. Wish Samlex and Astron would get a clue on what kind of hookup posts we need. It also has both voltage and current meters, something the Astron and Samlex versions I had lacked. The adjustable voltage is nice, I guess. Will probably never use it here.

The cigarette lighter plug on the front is a nice touch-very easy to hook up accessories with. The Diamond also had that, along with the meters and adjustable voltage, but it was also in a much larger box.

For a 25 amp PS you cannot go wrong. You get a hash free supply, with easy power cord hookups, dual meters, adjustable voltage, all in a small lightweight box. I picked this one up used from Ham Radio Outlet for $50 shipped-can't beat that.

The only difference between the MFJ-4225MV and some of the other switching PS is that the fan runs all of the time on the MFJ. There will be some Jabronis who will complain about fan noise, but it isn't that bad, and it keeps the supply cooler, which means it will last longer. I just moved it out of the way a bit to cut down on some of the noise.

W3JRP Rating: 3/5 Mar 24, 2006 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Marginal Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
This supply worked fine for a few months, then the output capacitors shorted out. No wonder: 16V caps on a 13.8V output! A problem waiting to happen. Luckily, they didn't take anything else with them when they shorted. During my troubleshooting, I was very disappointed in the poor construction inside...parts just tack-soldered seemingly as an afterthought, no documentation for internal adjustments, very difficult to service. All this being said, after repairs, the supply does work fine with a 100-watt SSB transceiver.

WB5MHA Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2005 13:08 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Could not be happier. MFJ really got it right with this power supply.