Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Drake 2NT CW transmitter Help

Reviews Summary for Drake 2NT CW transmitter
Drake 2NT CW transmitter Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$129
Description: 100 W Input CW transmitter (reduces to 75 W for novice). Operates Break-in CW, Semi Break-in CW or Manual CW with Drake 2-C or other rcvrs. CW Coverage on 80,40,20,15,10 Meters.
More info: http://www.dproducts.be/DRAKE_MUSEUM/2-ntcw.htm

You can write your own review of the Drake 2NT CW transmitter.

KG8LB Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2016 05:30 Send this review to a friend
The DeLuxe Novice Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these for $5 at the Lansing, MI antique radio show in 1993 . That was long before the MARC in their infinite lack of wisdom moved the show to a venue nearer Planet Mars !
The transmitter is a real gem . Very stable, tunes up nicely and the keying is about as good as it gets with a novice rig. This is head and shoulders above the competition of the day . Nice looking little bugger too . In a weak moment I donated it to a YL that claimed she was about to get her novice ticket but never did . Would like to find another that is as clean as that one.
If you like CW done well with tubes it is hard to miss with this transmitter.

K5MO Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2010 17:39 Send this review to a friend
The best in tube CW stns?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a 2NT paired with a 2C rcvr and 2CQ speaker q-multiplier. Its simply the best it got with a fully integrated CW stn. I use a Halli HA5 vfo and it all works together flawlessly. 50W gets QSOs any time I want , front panel sidetone adjust, front panel T/R delay adjust. The heck with novice rigs, this station blows a lot of full featured rigs away.

If you enjoy cw and enjoy tube gear, this is as good as it gets.

KG8LB Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2009 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Solid, well designed  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one of these for $5 at the MARC antique show in Lansing MI a few years ago. It works like a champ ! Easy tune tune and very stable. The keying envelope is quite good as well. Liked it so well I picked up a 2C receiver a few months later. I likely would have passed on the 2C had I not already owned the 2NT. They make a very nice pair.

WA9CWX Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2009 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding basic CW rig.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a great condition 2NT on Ebay simply because I love Drake gear and had never owned one. I paired it with my 2-B and WOW! a great vintage CW station, smooth and simple to operate, works wonderful with my original VFO, an Eico 753, easy to tune and saved me the hassel of digging up an old Dow Key relay!

K7UA Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2007 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful old TX  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Last winter I picked up a 2NT and matching 2C on Ebay auctions to play around with. I got them both all shined up and have been having a lot of fun with them. I never could have afforded such a "cool" rig as a teenage novice. The 2NT is small, compact, puts out a clean signal, is easy to tune and has all of the TR switching, etc all built in. Running with the 2C makes for an excellent old time or SKN station. Lots of fun. K7UA

WB8CAC Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2007 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Transmitter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Needed something to pair up with my HQ-129X. Walking around a recent hamfest I ran across the 2-NT. Had owned one YEARS ago but forgot about it. Guy selling it kept telling me that it "didn't do SSB and I'd need to know the code to use it." (what's this world coming to?) Anyway, it is now a happy healthy member of my shack. The internal antenna relay and adjustable delay make it a dream to interface with any receiver. I don't use the muting... like to listen for my receiver drifting away while I'm sending ( using the rig crystal only, just like old novice days ). FUN !!!!

KE6YX Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2007 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Great old rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Drake 2-NT off Ebay, and have it paired with the same Drake 2B I used as a novice back in the 70s. It is a delight to operate because it is designed to interface completely with my receiver, the internal mute, and TR switching work flawlessly. I added an RCA socket to the receiver to be able to use the transmitter’s side tone although the side tone sounds kind of wimpy.

Forget about crystals. I also purchased a Johnson VFO 122, which also does a good job. There is a small square cutout from the factory on the top of the 2-NT transmitter chassis which allowed me to bring out both power to the VFO, and a coax that I soldered to the back of the crystal socket. Now all the connections are behind the rig, and out of sight.

A side note, these older rigs have a lot of voltage on the keying circuit. I purchased a "keyer accessory" from Harbor Press. It cost $12.00 incl. shipping, and is about the size of a postage stamp. This isolated my keyer from the high voltage. A neat little prodect

I have been getting very positive signal reports; so I feel it was a good investment. If you can find a Drake 2-NT buy it!

K7SU Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2007 21:07 Send this review to a friend
A fun CW rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you are looking for a fun CW rig for ragchews or SKN, this is the one! I purchased mine awhile back on the online auction site. It was in great shape and as mentioned previously, it IS idiot proof. Mine is paired with a Hammarlund HQ-180A receiver. Compared to the size of the receiver, it looks like an accessory to the 180A rather than a separate transmitter. :>) If you enjoy CW and vintage rigs like I do, you will enjoy the 2NT.

WA0RJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2004 21:03 Send this review to a friend
My Novice Transmitter  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 2-NT was my first rig as a new novice. I bought it used in 1978. I paired it with a Hallicrafters SX-101a receiver. I still have both today and they work FB. The 2-NT is a great fun rig and as others have said, almost idiot proof. I would say that if you can find one of these in good working order or restorable condition, buy it! It is great fun and really soothes the nostalgia bug when it bites.

Transmitting crystals are still available, contact me and I will give you a good reliable and reasonable source. You will have fun!

KG6KB Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2004 15:54 Send this review to a friend
A great, simple to operate transmitter.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 2-C,2-NT and 2CS were purchased as a package for $286 in Oct. '76. They continue to operate perfectly. I only drive the single 6HF5 to 50 watts out. Tuneup is very simple. Signal reports are excellent. The "SPOT" control assures the 2-C is on the same freq. These are great rigs to learn how the older gear operated. You can't go wrong if you can find them in good shape. Be prepared to pay $400 for a nice setup.