Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Buddistick Portable Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Buddistick Portable Vertical
Buddistick Portable Vertical Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$125.00
Description: Designed as a multi-band, portable antenna for 40m - 10m, the Buddistick™ is an excellent performer with any rig up to 250 watts.
More info: http://www.buddipole.com/buddistick.html

You can write your own review of the Buddistick Portable Vertical.

KC0CDX Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2014 20:21 Send this review to a friend
great quality, good performance for its size  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really like the build quality of this portable. A step above the super antenna mp1 in my opinion. It can be difficult to tune without an analyzer but it is possible. Just takes a bit more patience. I've had many great contacts all over the world on 10, 17, and 20 meters so far. Best part is how compact it is when broken down into its carry case.

N7ISS Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2014 19:44 Send this review to a friend
BEST ANTENNA EVER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really wanted to try this antenna after reading so many good reviews. I bid on several on EBAY and they always went to about $200.00. I looked it up on the Buddipole website and saw they are only $139.00, crazy. I then thought it must be a long wait to get one. I ordered it anyway and guess what? I had it in ONE day... That was impressive. I just set it up using a light stand I had and followed the simple instructions. I did use my trusty MFJ antenna analyzer however.. In no time I had it at 1.0 on 20 meters WOW.. Then I set it up for 40 meters and got it to 1.5 right away. This is great antenna. I bought it for an upcoming SOTA activation I have planned in October the the volcano rim of Mt Saint Helens. Its going to do a great job. It built tough and accurate and looks cool. I got the all black antenna as everybody knows that black is the fastest and lowest drag color. Comes in a nice carry case also. Like I said, best antenna EVER.....

KA0USE Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2014 13:01 Send this review to a friend
i love it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
first off, I was unable to tune it using instructions from buddipole (mfg'er)and other users.
another ham (kc0txv, THANKS!) and I went to a large open place and started s'perimenting.
my squeaky new mfj 259-c analyzer was no help, so he connected a diamond swr meter and that helped. the awkward part was finding resonance using the counterpoise. took some winding/unwinding, but when we hit the sweet spot on 20m it all fell together. tuned the other bands, click, click, click, all below 1.5:1. far out!
made a couple of contacts and headed home.
I next took it to a park w/damp grass and trees. the winding settings changed a little, but not much, a half turn +/-
make notes of terrain and moisture for each band and future set ups should be quick.
don't rely on exact wavelength fractions- let out the windings to resonance and forget measuring lengths. I count turns on the winder instead of measuring; much quicker.
I got an extra arm extension and extra taps. the taps are left in place when disassembling. skip the included table clamp and optional micro-tripod. instead use a full size camera tripod for stability. I didn't have any luck finding a table that the clamp would fit on and the micro tri is unstable- a whisper of breeze or a light tug on the cable/counterpoise will make it fall over.
I have panniers on my bicycle. the tripod goes in one, the antenna in the other and I have a camera bag for the ft-817 that straps to the rack.
the 817 has a built in swr meter, but it uses coarse bars, so I got an mfj meter and use that for really tightening down the swr until it squeals for mercy.

nice things to say:
it is a quality product
really compact in it's case
light weight
I got the deluxe package and it includes a spare telescopic whip
accessories available
it can be modified to a buddipole dipole using extra available parts
once the taps are placed for max noise they can stay there when disassembling
it can work in the rain (not like yaesu atas-25 manual screwdriver antenna which specifically says not for use in wet weather)
once you get used to assembling it it will take only ~3-4 minutes to set up

other comments:
available only from maker
received it in 6 days
it meets my needs/wants

N6QIH Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2014 22:50 Send this review to a friend
QRP Vertical antenna and more.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a Buddistick Deluxe antenna on Ebay for the unheard price of $90 with all the extras that came from the seller that included a Buddipole shock cord 4 section whip a MFJ BNC whip for 80-10 HF. This buddistick looked brand new and set up just as the instructions recomended. Before I knew it I had checked into to my Utah Beehive net 7.272 QRP controler in Oregon and the Noontime net 7.268.5 Controler in Reno NV I was blown away with the easy setup and performance of my Yaesu FT 817.

K0QC Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2014 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Used /KH6  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the Buddistick during our recent visit to Big Island. Was looking for something that would not take up a lot of space and this set up met that requirement. Purchased the deluxe package and also purchase the Iportable antenna analyzer. I ran my IC706 and AT180 and the Buddistick from the Lanai of our condo. The Lanai was on 2rd floor, about 20 feet AGL. The clamp worked fine on the Lanai railing. Tuning the antenna is the key and the Iportable really made that a much easier job. I logged 28 countries, including the FT5ZM Dxpedition, in 19 Zones, all running 100W. Most of the QSO's were on 10,12 and 15M, but did make QSO's on 17, 20 and 40M. Worked pretty much everything I could hear. The antenna is very well made and for the price, it certainly fit my needs. I plan to use it more this summer with the RV.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Apr 2, 2014 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Patience!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Antenna, for a vertical, works very well....but you must have patience when tuning this thing as it's a very Hi-Q antenna.

We were camping up near Yosemite so I used vertical most every day to keep up with W1AW contest. No matter what band, if I could hear them, I could work them using the Buddistick - not bad for a vertical!!

Quality if excellent

1. Don't leave home without your antenna analyzer, it just makes tuning this thing much easier.

2. I've found a small, mobile antenna tuner like what MFJ sells is a must to QSY on any given band.

3. The ground wire is key to lowering your SWR so take your time and get it right

For whatever reason, my experience is that 40mtrs is easy to get tuned up, but the higher you go in frequency the more difficult it is to find the SWR dip.

Cheers All

KJ4NWZ Rating: 3/5 Mar 27, 2014 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Buddistick FB Group.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello to all Buddistick owners and users. I've started a Buddistick group site at Facebook. All are welcomed to join.

I mean no disrespect to the Buddipole group site already on fb but there is a reason both antennas are listed separately on eham.net. Thanks.

YV5OF Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2014 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Great portable antenna for QRP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using Buddistick since 2010 practical and versatile. Fully transportable and can operate in various weather conditions. This antenna use it much for QRP operations, made very good QSO.

Pre and Post Sales Service very good, and excellent support.

W4YAT Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2014 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Delivers as Advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had an old Radio Shack HT-10x for about a year now, but didn't have an antenna that I could quickly put up and lower, so the radio has been gathering dust. I did a lot of research and considered other options, but decided on the Buddistick Deluxe for my HOA challenged environment.

I received it on 12/29 and used it for the first time this morning. I set it up on a camera tripod outside of my home office window in less than 10 minutes. Wow, what a pleasant surprise when I fired up the radio. Within minutes I worked The Netherlands and Austria, followed up a little later with Italy, The Azores and England. There was a decent band opening that helped a lot for sure, but man, this simple little vertical really delivered for me today. Very happy with my purchase.

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2013 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Why Did I Wait So Long?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been active in the HFPack and Milpack radio communities for years. My philosophy has always been to deploy the largest aerial in the field as possible...in this case an AT-1011/U.

However, the 1011, as good as it is, is heavy and not really suited to light pack deployments.

I received a basic Buddistick kit recently and I was amazed at how well a properly engineered and installed short loaded vertical can perform.

I've made many contacts this past weekend on all bands except for 80m. I will need to get a coil for this band.

The key to making the stick work is that you MUST deploy a correct length radial wire and ELEVATE if off the ground per the destructions. Failure to elevate the radial wire will increase you losses dramatically.

Fine product. Thanks Budd!

Philip Neidlinger, PE