Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Buddistick Portable Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Buddistick Portable Vertical
Buddistick Portable Vertical Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$125.00
Description: Designed as a multi-band, portable antenna for 40m - 10m, the Buddistick™ is an excellent performer with any rig up to 250 watts.
More info: http://www.buddipole.com/buddistick.html

You can write your own review of the Buddistick Portable Vertical.

N6QIH Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2014 22:50 Send this review to a friend
QRP Vertical antenna and more.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a Buddistick Deluxe antenna on Ebay for the unheard price of $90 with all the extras that came from the seller that included a Buddipole shock cord 4 section whip a MFJ BNC whip for 80-10 HF. This buddistick looked brand new and set up just as the instructions recomended. Before I knew it I had checked into to my Utah Beehive net 7.272 QRP controler in Oregon and the Noontime net 7.268.5 Controler in Reno NV I was blown away with the easy setup and performance of my Yaesu FT 817.

K0QC Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2014 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Used /KH6  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the Buddistick during our recent visit to Big Island. Was looking for something that would not take up a lot of space and this set up met that requirement. Purchased the deluxe package and also purchase the Iportable antenna analyzer. I ran my IC706 and AT180 and the Buddistick from the Lanai of our condo. The Lanai was on 2rd floor, about 20 feet AGL. The clamp worked fine on the Lanai railing. Tuning the antenna is the key and the Iportable really made that a much easier job. I logged 28 countries, including the FT5ZM Dxpedition, in 19 Zones, all running 100W. Most of the QSO's were on 10,12 and 15M, but did make QSO's on 17, 20 and 40M. Worked pretty much everything I could hear. The antenna is very well made and for the price, it certainly fit my needs. I plan to use it more this summer with the RV.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Apr 2, 2014 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Patience!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Antenna, for a vertical, works very well....but you must have patience when tuning this thing as it's a very Hi-Q antenna.

We were camping up near Yosemite so I used vertical most every day to keep up with W1AW contest. No matter what band, if I could hear them, I could work them using the Buddistick - not bad for a vertical!!

Quality if excellent

1. Don't leave home without your antenna analyzer, it just makes tuning this thing much easier.

2. I've found a small, mobile antenna tuner like what MFJ sells is a must to QSY on any given band.

3. The ground wire is key to lowering your SWR so take your time and get it right

For whatever reason, my experience is that 40mtrs is easy to get tuned up, but the higher you go in frequency the more difficult it is to find the SWR dip.

Cheers All

KJ4NWZ Rating: 3/5 Mar 27, 2014 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Buddistick FB Group.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello to all Buddistick owners and users. I've started a Buddistick group site at Facebook. All are welcomed to join.

I mean no disrespect to the Buddipole group site already on fb but there is a reason both antennas are listed separately on eham.net. Thanks.

YV5OF Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2014 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Great portable antenna for QRP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using Buddistick since 2010 practical and versatile. Fully transportable and can operate in various weather conditions. This antenna use it much for QRP operations, made very good QSO.

Pre and Post Sales Service very good, and excellent support.

W4YAT Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2014 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Delivers as Advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had an old Radio Shack HT-10x for about a year now, but didn't have an antenna that I could quickly put up and lower, so the radio has been gathering dust. I did a lot of research and considered other options, but decided on the Buddistick Deluxe for my HOA challenged environment.

I received it on 12/29 and used it for the first time this morning. I set it up on a camera tripod outside of my home office window in less than 10 minutes. Wow, what a pleasant surprise when I fired up the radio. Within minutes I worked The Netherlands and Austria, followed up a little later with Italy, The Azores and England. There was a decent band opening that helped a lot for sure, but man, this simple little vertical really delivered for me today. Very happy with my purchase.

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2013 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Why Did I Wait So Long?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been active in the HFPack and Milpack radio communities for years. My philosophy has always been to deploy the largest aerial in the field as possible...in this case an AT-1011/U.

However, the 1011, as good as it is, is heavy and not really suited to light pack deployments.

I received a basic Buddistick kit recently and I was amazed at how well a properly engineered and installed short loaded vertical can perform.

I've made many contacts this past weekend on all bands except for 80m. I will need to get a coil for this band.

The key to making the stick work is that you MUST deploy a correct length radial wire and ELEVATE if off the ground per the destructions. Failure to elevate the radial wire will increase you losses dramatically.

Fine product. Thanks Budd!

Philip Neidlinger, PE
KA4KOE

KJ4NWZ Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2013 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Still Learning to Use It  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the Buddistick Deluxe package a year or so ago. It came with 3 coil taps and I eventually had to buy more to minimize having to get up and attach taps for different bands. The coil now holds 6 coils for 40, 20, 17, 15, 12 & 10 mb.

My only issue with the Buddistick is the tuning. I can't seem to fine-tune the antenna at the coil without having to unscrew the tap and rake it acroas the coil while listening. If I do that for six bands thats a lot of work. After calibrating the coil I must then calibrate the length of the counterpoise wire. Too much work per band.

I also have a Superantenna MP1 that I combine parts with the Buddistick. See my review for the MP1 for June 19, 2013 for details on how I clone the two antennas to create a great hybrid.

W7SAG Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 14:41 Send this review to a friend
A Great Antenna System  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love operating portable and have used many varieties of antenna. I have used both the Buddipole and the Buddistick configurations and have had excellent results. When I first received the Buddipole, I had a difficult time getting it to tune up properly. After some frustration, I decided to check the continuity of the various components and found that I had a defective Versatee. After a call to JD at BP, I got a replacement Versatee and all is well. The service you get from BP is excellent and the product is well constructed, very high quality and works well. I alternate between the Buddipole and the Buddistick depending on what terrain I have to work with and what I want to carry. Few things in ham radio are as fun for me as working Japan on SSB from a portable location with 5 watts using my KX3 and the Buddipole. Read and follow the "Buddipole in the Field" book and you will enjoy these antennas.
John
W7SAG

N2MVV Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2013 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this antenna for over two years and wanted to write a follow-up review from last year. Initially, understanding how to tune this antenna was very difficult with an SWR meter but became very easy with an antenna analyzer.

I have used this antenna for SSB, SSB QRP and also PSK-31 with different rigs.

My best contacts so far with this antenna has been 25W SSB on 10 meters this weekend from New York City to West Africa on the Radio Shack HTX-10.

I also have had a 5000 mile plus SSB contact at 100 watts on 17 Meters from New York City to Russia as well as many PSK-31 contacts in many countries with my Icom 718.

On my Yaesu FT-817ND at 5 watts, I made a 17 meter SSB contact from Florida to Portugal from a 5th Floor oceanfront balcony.

This antenna has also performed very well for me on PSK-31 which I had some DX contacts over 4000 miles as well with my Icom 718 at 30 watts.

I primarily operate only from 10, 12, 15, 17 and 20 meters as I cannot run the counterpoise wire far at my home QTH.

I will take it out to the mountain and beach area for some QRP work soon.

This antenna works for me out of a New York City apartment and can be used by anyone out of a window. I have it mounted with the jaws mount to a 2 x 4 and swivel it out of my window when operating and take it back inside when complete. I always get great signal reports and many hams with much better antennas and towers couldn't believe I was using the Buddistick antenna.

Great band conditions are a plus in this hobby when we can get them. The Buddistick worked for me in poor band conditions too!