Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Buddistick Portable Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Buddistick Portable Vertical
Buddistick Portable Vertical Reviews: 55 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$125.00
Description: Designed as a multi-band, portable antenna for 40m - 10m, the Buddistick™ is an excellent performer with any rig up to 250 watts.
More info: http://www.buddipole.com/buddistick.html

You can write your own review of the Buddistick Portable Vertical.

W7SAG Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 14:41 Send this review to a friend
A Great Antenna System  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love operating portable and have used many varieties of antenna. I have used both the Buddipole and the Buddistick configurations and have had excellent results. When I first received the Buddipole, I had a difficult time getting it to tune up properly. After some frustration, I decided to check the continuity of the various components and found that I had a defective Versatee. After a call to JD at BP, I got a replacement Versatee and all is well. The service you get from BP is excellent and the product is well constructed, very high quality and works well. I alternate between the Buddipole and the Buddistick depending on what terrain I have to work with and what I want to carry. Few things in ham radio are as fun for me as working Japan on SSB from a portable location with 5 watts using my KX3 and the Buddipole. Read and follow the "Buddipole in the Field" book and you will enjoy these antennas.
John
W7SAG

N2MVV Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2013 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this antenna for over two years and wanted to write a follow-up review from last year. Initially, understanding how to tune this antenna was very difficult with an SWR meter but became very easy with an antenna analyzer.

I have used this antenna for SSB, SSB QRP and also PSK-31 with different rigs.

My best contacts so far with this antenna has been 25W SSB on 10 meters this weekend from New York City to West Africa on the Radio Shack HTX-10.

I also have had a 5000 mile plus SSB contact at 100 watts on 17 Meters from New York City to Russia as well as many PSK-31 contacts in many countries with my Icom 718.

On my Yaesu FT-817ND at 5 watts, I made a 17 meter SSB contact from Florida to Portugal from a 5th Floor oceanfront balcony.

This antenna has also performed very well for me on PSK-31 which I had some DX contacts over 4000 miles as well with my Icom 718 at 30 watts.

I primarily operate only from 10, 12, 15, 17 and 20 meters as I cannot run the counterpoise wire far at my home QTH.

I will take it out to the mountain and beach area for some QRP work soon.

This antenna works for me out of a New York City apartment and can be used by anyone out of a window. I have it mounted with the jaws mount to a 2 x 4 and swivel it out of my window when operating and take it back inside when complete. I always get great signal reports and many hams with much better antennas and towers couldn't believe I was using the Buddistick antenna.

Great band conditions are a plus in this hobby when we can get them. The Buddistick worked for me in poor band conditions too!

KN2M Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2013 18:51 Send this review to a friend
I even made indoor QSOs  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased at Dayton last year but never used it until Super Bowl Sunday. I set up my IC703, key and battery. I heard stations on 40 CW and using 10w easily worked some about 300 miles away. The antenna was clipped to my coffee table and the radial was strung across the kitchen table. I could not believe how easy it was to use BUT I did use a tuner to adjust the coil trap. Planning to take this on vacation with me and use it by the ocean and give it a real try for DX.

GILGSN Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2012 13:17 Send this review to a friend
It works quite well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna surprised me. Right after getting it I clamped it to my coffee table inside the house and tuned it for 30m. Minutes later I was heard by a friend 800 miles away using only 2W! It works well up to 30m, not as well on 40, which is to be expected. I plan on getting a longer whip and an extra lower element to improve performance on 40m, maybe even the larger coil, but that is a bit expensive. Great to have when there are no tall trees around.

WR5D Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2012 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Portable Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned Buddipole products for many years, and have taken them all over the US as I travel. Over the past 3-4 years, I've used a BuddiStick exclusively on my hiking/camping trips and the antenna has performed remarkably. Buddipole quality is outstanding, and the antenna has survived many hours in the sun, snow, rain, and dust. Never a complaint. Once you get it resonant and matched, it is amazingly good. Often I use it near water, which only makes things better. The shock corded whips are just about bombproof! Buddipole rocks!

KD7UCH Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2012 12:01 Send this review to a friend
A great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the BuddiStick because I wanted a portable antenna that would set up quickly, could be used on several bands, and tear down to fit in a small package. The BuddiStick certainly does all of that. The build quality is excellent and support, if you need it, is unparalleled.
I am just a beginner in HF but I set it up and began making contacts soon after I received it. A station in Georgia that I contacted told me he couldn't believe that I only had a portable vertical antenna that was up only 8 feet. Pretty good from Idaho.
I would buy stock if they went public.

KJ4VTH Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2011 20:47 Send this review to a friend
use an analyzer  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first few months with this antenna were less than stellar. I was about to give up and declare it just so-so. Then I got an analyzer and found where I was going wrong in terms of resonance and SWR. Since then I have had incredible success with the Buddistick!

Taking it to nearby parks and setting up for an afternoon is a lot of fun. Sometimes folks come by and ask questions which I am glad to answer (some people stare from a distance but never had any trouble otherwise). At any rate with this setup and an antenna analyzer I have worked the world and received good signal reports. Even QRP power SSB contacts to Europe under decent band conditions.

N4JDU Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2011 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like the company. It is a father-son comnpany with great customer relations. Service and advice after the sale are vital to future business. I have owned the Buddipole system for 5 years and it still works fine. The new Buddistick is a real gem. Easy to set up and fairly easy to tune. I use the analyzer but could tune by ear as well. From Alabama in October 2011 I have worked Europe, Asiatic Russia, Finland, Japan on 10 and 20 mtrs. A wide range auto tuner will help you save time if you set the coil to mid frequency and counterpoise at a resonable swr. I have tuned it with the long telescopic whip to 1.5 on both 20 and 10 meters easily. The antenna will tune with either the short or long whip. I worked Wales and Finland with short whip with ret of 5/9.Signal gets out surprisingly well for the small package it is. The higher the height the more vital a good tri-pod and guy system. Even if you clamp it to a table guy it because the long telscopic whip will break if it blown or falls over. That's not a design flaw but rather a short between the headset hi hi. I like em both and reccomend the company highly.

VE6SZR Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2011 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Construction and Packaging, Works Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I echo most of the comments below...great construction, packaging and performance (given the limitations of the size of it).

I too had a problem with the received accessories. I requested a mini-tripod and was sent a second clamp instead. Judging from some of the other comments...evidently there are quality issues with their order pickers and shipping.

W5GW Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2011 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Ok, but a throw-in-the-tree dipole is a cheaper alternative  Time owned: more than 12 months
I knew going in this was an antenna with convenience, good materials and nice packaging more than efficiency.

I also like the convenience of not needing two or at least one point to attach a dipole, which is my preferred way to go in portable QRP. Sometimes there are no trees or places to attach a dipole.

After modeling this on EZNEC I still liked the idea of a nice compact antenna despite the loss in efficiency over a dipole. It works best if you can get it high and more than one radial (yes I call it a radial despite what the literature says), but will still work even at low heights with just the included radial. The coil taps were machined wrong or something and the plugs would not go into them. A bit of reaming with a drill bit solved that issue.

I had built a homemade buddipole from pvc and a couple of Radio Shack telescoping antennas and had had good luck with that design as well.

I can get it usually within a 2:1 SWR just by listening to the background noise and then fine tune it with the SWR meter in my IC-703.

It is not the only portable antenna in my arsenal, but is pretty good.