Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Buddistick Portable Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Buddistick Portable Vertical
Buddistick Portable Vertical Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$125.00
Description: Designed as a multi-band, portable antenna for 40m - 10m, the Buddistick™ is an excellent performer with any rig up to 250 watts.
More info: http://www.buddipole.com/buddistick.html

You can write your own review of the Buddistick Portable Vertical.

KD7UCH Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2012 12:01 Send this review to a friend
A great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the BuddiStick because I wanted a portable antenna that would set up quickly, could be used on several bands, and tear down to fit in a small package. The BuddiStick certainly does all of that. The build quality is excellent and support, if you need it, is unparalleled.
I am just a beginner in HF but I set it up and began making contacts soon after I received it. A station in Georgia that I contacted told me he couldn't believe that I only had a portable vertical antenna that was up only 8 feet. Pretty good from Idaho.
I would buy stock if they went public.

KJ4VTH Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2011 20:47 Send this review to a friend
use an analyzer  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first few months with this antenna were less than stellar. I was about to give up and declare it just so-so. Then I got an analyzer and found where I was going wrong in terms of resonance and SWR. Since then I have had incredible success with the Buddistick!

Taking it to nearby parks and setting up for an afternoon is a lot of fun. Sometimes folks come by and ask questions which I am glad to answer (some people stare from a distance but never had any trouble otherwise). At any rate with this setup and an antenna analyzer I have worked the world and received good signal reports. Even QRP power SSB contacts to Europe under decent band conditions.

N4JDU Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2011 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like the company. It is a father-son comnpany with great customer relations. Service and advice after the sale are vital to future business. I have owned the Buddipole system for 5 years and it still works fine. The new Buddistick is a real gem. Easy to set up and fairly easy to tune. I use the analyzer but could tune by ear as well. From Alabama in October 2011 I have worked Europe, Asiatic Russia, Finland, Japan on 10 and 20 mtrs. A wide range auto tuner will help you save time if you set the coil to mid frequency and counterpoise at a resonable swr. I have tuned it with the long telescopic whip to 1.5 on both 20 and 10 meters easily. The antenna will tune with either the short or long whip. I worked Wales and Finland with short whip with ret of 5/9.Signal gets out surprisingly well for the small package it is. The higher the height the more vital a good tri-pod and guy system. Even if you clamp it to a table guy it because the long telscopic whip will break if it blown or falls over. That's not a design flaw but rather a short between the headset hi hi. I like em both and reccomend the company highly.

VE6SZR Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2011 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Construction and Packaging, Works Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I echo most of the comments below...great construction, packaging and performance (given the limitations of the size of it).

I too had a problem with the received accessories. I requested a mini-tripod and was sent a second clamp instead. Judging from some of the other comments...evidently there are quality issues with their order pickers and shipping.

W5GW Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2011 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Ok, but a throw-in-the-tree dipole is a cheaper alternative  Time owned: more than 12 months
I knew going in this was an antenna with convenience, good materials and nice packaging more than efficiency.

I also like the convenience of not needing two or at least one point to attach a dipole, which is my preferred way to go in portable QRP. Sometimes there are no trees or places to attach a dipole.

After modeling this on EZNEC I still liked the idea of a nice compact antenna despite the loss in efficiency over a dipole. It works best if you can get it high and more than one radial (yes I call it a radial despite what the literature says), but will still work even at low heights with just the included radial. The coil taps were machined wrong or something and the plugs would not go into them. A bit of reaming with a drill bit solved that issue.

I had built a homemade buddipole from pvc and a couple of Radio Shack telescoping antennas and had had good luck with that design as well.

I can get it usually within a 2:1 SWR just by listening to the background noise and then fine tune it with the SWR meter in my IC-703.

It is not the only portable antenna in my arsenal, but is pretty good.

N5IVZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2010 08:49 Send this review to a friend
5 X 9 WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had the pleasure to finally run my Buddistick with a special event station, USCG Station South Padre Island, K5C, celebrating 220 years of USCG service to our nation. I set up the buddistick on the mess deck of the station which is about 15 feet up along with my TS 570D at 60 watts... It performed absolutely great! a lot of 5 by 9 reports and it was a real pleasure to set up and use... to keep it from blowing away(had a front blow in), i put the antenna in a bucket with pieces of brick...it worked! looking forward to using it again...tunes up easily by ear...

W0CKI Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2010 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It takes a bit of work and tuning. Mine has a feedpoint 8 feet above the ground, tip about 19 feet above ground. I have had consistent good results on 10-20. The service and advice from Buddipole is fantastic. If you want to work portable or as I am, in an HOA, antenna police, this is a great choice.

KC9LCS Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2010 11:55 Send this review to a friend
Easy Set up, Easy Tune!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great antenna!!!! In the first hour I was using it I made five contacts, all 5x9!!!! I don't have an SWR meter, so I tuned it by ear. The tune by ear method works very well!!!! This is a great portable antenna!!!

M0WZM Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2010 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started with one of the cheaper "base loaded" verticals but wasn't impressed. The Buddistick is slightly more expensive but is in a league of it's own. Tunes very easily and the construction quality is first class.
I use it with a FT-817 and a LDG auto tuner- excellent.

N0MUD Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2010 17:07 Send this review to a friend
excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Only problem I have ever had was winds blew mine over and bent an element. I ordered a new one plus some extra parts that were new to Buddipole at the time. I've never had any problems tuning the antenna to my FT-857d. I like the way it packs up into a small package for traveling. Mine is under the bed in my camper. If you need a small antenna then this will fit the bill. It's easy to set up and tune. Just have to remember to anchor it down and it won't blow over.

Go ahead and buy one you will like it. The Buddipole people even showed up at the HamCon in Estes Park, CO and they were very professional and answered all questions put to them. They even sold out of all the antennas they took to the HamCon.

73's Mike, NØmud