Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Index Laboratories QRP Plus Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Index Laboratories QRP Plus Transceiver
Index Laboratories QRP Plus Transceiver Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $595.00
Description: All band CW/SSB QRP HF Transceiver
More info: http://home.frognet.net/~mcfadden/wd8rif/qrpplus.htm

You can write your own review of the Index Laboratories QRP Plus Transceiver.

W8ZNX Rating: 2/5 Feb 3, 2008 01:44 Send this review to a friend
nothing special  Time owned: more than 12 months
owned mine for about 9 years
its a interesting radio
made lots of contacts with it
but
never took a shine to this radio

more i used it
less i liked it

funny still love my beat up old 509 Argonaut

the Index QRP +
its too large and too blinking heavy for backpack camping
too small to be a good fixed station

strong sigs just blow it away

pain to try and change settings

never liked the keyer

did not care for how it worked

fall 2007
sold it on e bay
do not miss it one bit

mac

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2007 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Great little QRP rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got to tell you guys.... I am absolutely amazed at this little radio. I got it from a guy that "tried" to fix it. After about three hours, I can tell you that I am really amazed with it's performance. Even on 80CW it really holds it's own. See you some night on 3.552Mhz. Have not tried it on SSB, so cannot comment on that mode.
-73- Frank KG9H

XE1UFO Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2006 10:22 Send this review to a friend
RE: A NEW QRP+ AND QRP++ USERS GROUP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great little rig, built like a battle ship. It has a lot of built-in features, such as the VOGAD audio spaeech processing on TX, the RX SCAF audio filters which works VERY well, and a nice CW keyer.

Hey: We are forming a new group of people who are using (or interested in) the Index Laboratories QRP+ and QRP++ SSB/CW rigs. These rigs were the Grand Daddy and Daddy of the SG2020 series of radios. If you are interested, please visit us here:

Thanks for looking!

=====================================================
San Juan del Rio, Queretaro, Mexico

AF9J Rating: 3/5 Nov 15, 2005 10:36 Send this review to a friend
A good rig for casual QRP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned A QRP Plus (serial # 1040) until January 2005. I bought it back in the early 90s to use as a contest radio (I prefer to use dedicated QRP-type rigs, rather than a FT-1000, etc. turned down to 5 watts), and had itr factory updated to the final QRP++ iteration. It was OK for contesting, but it had its limitations.

On the receive side, the audio filter was good for both CW & SSB, and had good audio quality. But, it suffered from both AGC pumping, and blowby if there was a strong adjacent signal (even with the receiver updates installed). It also wasn't the greatest for SWLing, due to the fact that it's bandwith was too narrow for decent AM reception. Also, the receiver didn't have a Noise Blanker. I suffer from power line noise, and listening to it through the QRP+ could be a real hassle (especially on 160m).

On the Transmitter side, the CW audio was good, with nice clean keying. But, changing keyer speed on the fly (don't forget, not everybody runs 30WPM [like I can do] in contests) could be a pain, due to the fact that you had to press 2 buttons at the same time to change the keyer speed. SSB was sort of an afterthought with this radio. Even with the VOGAD update installed in QRP+, I didn't have the decent audio punch in SSB contests, that I had in my SGC SG-2020 (which had an RF processor). Part of this could ahve been due to the fact that you had to use an electret mike with the QRP+, instead of a dynamic mike (which has better audio quality). You also had to be very careful to have a decently grounded (or at the very least a current choke installed inline between the rig and your antenna). Otherwise the QRP+ suffered from seroius RF feedback. Due to my living conditions, I've always had to make do with crappy random wires (typically zig zagged 100 footers), a t-match, and a counterpoise. On 15m, my QRP plus used to seriously suffer from RF feedback, in spite of using a current choke, a t-match with an internal balun, and a counterpoise in my antenna system.

If you can live with these limitations, and don't expect the world of the radio in a contest, it's a good rig for casual QRPing. By 1997, my QRP+ was relegated to backup radio status (I had bought a SGC, SG-2020). Hard times forced me to scale back my hamming, and sell my SG-2020 in 2000, In 2004 I was financially in better shape, and bought an IC-703 Plus. It's head an shoulders above the QRP+ in my opinion. The QRP+ was sold in January of this year (I needed the extra money).

By the way, the SGC, SG-2020 is sort of the followon to the QRP+. It too was designed by Bruce Franklin, and it's control functions are similar to the QRP+. It's a better SSB rig, and the receiver issues were mostly rectified in the SG-2020. Still it can suffer from RF feedback (which my IC-703 Plus doesn't suffer from).

KD2JF Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2005 06:16 Send this review to a friend
A keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the QRP+ since early 1996 (s/n 1075). I had to replace the memory battery once in 9 years. I also bought the matching microphone for the radio. I will never give this thing up as its one of the neatest radios in my collection. I've worked QRP SSB/CW from every location I can think of and always had fun. The SCAF filter works like a charm. Only mod i've made was to remove the plastic window cover over the display. Now you can see the display clearly in any light level with no backlight needed. Also the plastic cover would vibrate when listening to SSB on the internal speaker. This radio reminds me of the days when radios had big knobs and big meters. Too bad they dont make it anymore.

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2005 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Great fun!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this from a Colorado ham (the builder) earlier this year and have fallen in love with it. Everyone's into the Yaesu and Elecraft radios but I'm partial to this one. What do I love about it? the bandwidth adjustment for one thing. By just pressing one button and turning the main tuning dial you can adjust the bandwidth from 2.4 down to 100 Hz. I operated my first contest this past weekend - the NA QSO CW contest and that narrow filter was outrageous! I like the receiver, the tuning rate, the backlit frequency display - I'm just really enjoying operating away from my home QTH with this radio!

AE4TO Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2005 16:50 Send this review to a friend
One the best classic qrp radios!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The creation of Bruce Franklin...this is a radio that is a lot of fun. It has a very low current drain of 140 ma on reception. I use mine mainly for cw and the scaf filter works very well. The radio is sensitive and I am able to copy weak signals on the congested 40 Meter band. Starting with serial number 1300 this radio was upgraded to the so called QRP++. The radio is fairly small and rugged and covers all the ham bands and has general coverage too. This is a real qrp classic that is a keeper,lots of fun, practical and can be found for $200...$300.Thank you Bruce!

W9DZ Rating: 3/5 Jul 15, 2004 14:01 Send this review to a friend
OK for casual use only!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one of the Index Lab rigs through a group purchase with other subscribers to the QRP-L email reflector. I later sent it back to Index for an update which was supposed to fix the popping AGC problem as well as low audio output on SSB transmit. The upgrade helped a little and was expensive.

Operation was OK on SSB and for general rag chewing on CW. I tried to use it on CW during Field Day and Sweepstakes. The receiver was almost useless. Other big signals within the receive passband would cause the AGC to pump badly and the weaker signal you were trying to work would no longer be copyable. The audio filter (SCAF) was of little use as the problem was the wide IF filter.

I sold the QRP Plus and Index went out of business soon after. Before buying a used one I would check on the availability of service. Last I heard the former Index employee that was doing repair work had stopped.

I now use an FT-817 and an IC-703 for QRP operation. Both are great radios. I have seen specials on the '703 selling for $399. It would be a much better investment.

W1FU Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2004 22:49 Send this review to a friend
GREAT UGLY LITTLE RIG  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Always wanted to try one. Found serial #1599, the latest version. It is a great little radio with a great receiver and knobs you can actually put your fingers on. 5-8 watts out on all bands. Have worked much dx on 40 cw with it, and more qso's than I would have believed possible on 40 ssb. The scaf filter is very adequate and like the built in keyer. found it every bit as good as the 817 on the hf band and more fun to use.
I sold my 817, rigs come and go, but I will keep the QRP +.

KB5OF Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2004 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Well built  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got s/n 0861 original model after reading QST review. This is a well built QRP rig, simple and fun. Best contact was from PHX to HOU 3 watts, very low lazy inverted vee and was accused of using power and beam (must've been a strange opening!). No longer in production. Hard to find. If you do, it is worth the price. Compact for backpacking. Simplicity personified. I'll take this rig to the grave with me!