Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | CT 599 Dual Lever Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for CT 599 Dual Lever Paddle
CT 599 Dual Lever Paddle Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: Ball Bearing Double Silver Contacts Plug & Play ++ Dual Paddle
More info: http://www.ur5cdx.com/index.php?currency=USD&language=en

You can write your own review of the CT 599 Dual Lever Paddle.

GI4GST Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2009 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Stunning looker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
An ebay purchase. I was amazed at how nice it looks.
The build quality and finish is excellent. Its worth taking some time to set it up to suit the operating style and the screw threads are a bit coarse, but with time and patience it can be adjusted to suit most ops . My other paddle is a Kent so I was initially supprised at the little "girlie" paddles but after a few hours practise they seem just right.

W5EGS Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2006 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Paddle  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am 75 yrs old, with arthritis. My numerous MFJ 422/Benchers just aren't comfortable anymore. I have purchased several of Tony's keyers and others. The final winner is the CT-599/MFJ-407 Combo. I can't explain anymore than, "It's comfortable, smooth, and I have less pain with it than any of the others". His shipping varies from 9 days to 27 days, but Hey, they're coming from the Ukraine. What do you expect? I have been afraid I was going to have to go back to hand keys, but luckily the CT-599 looks like it's going to do the job.

KT5D Rating: 2/5 Jan 31, 2006 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Could be better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This paddle was an ebay purchase with no prior experience with CT keys. My observations are based on nearly 40 years as an avid cw operator beginning with a straight key in my novice days and progressing to Vibroplex bugs and finally to keyers and paddles, all in pursuit of sending better morse code. I am fortunate that as I advance in age I still retain good hand coordination and years of practice have not been lost to any health afflications. So, what worked for me well years ago still does. The old Vibroplex bugs up on the shelf are finely tuned and can be placed into service at a moment's notice. Age has not affected them either, rather like fine wine in that regard. I fear however, that the CT 599 Dual Lever Paddle will not enjoy that esteemed state of being as it is off to a rather poor start. Straight out of the box, the dash lever has vertical pivot instability, with the lower bearing missing a retaining washer for the tiny balls within the bearing cup. As such, they are lose and contribute to the instability. Adjusting the spacing for the dash contact is rather useless as it cannot be maintained with the pivot point inconsistency. I do like the extremely low profile of this paddle, indeed that was one of the main reasons for purchasing it but this is definitely not a key one would travel with or even risk moving around very much. It will not survive a fall to the floor due to it's very fragile build quality. This is a key destined to join the old Vibroplexs on the shelf to be looked at often but rarely, if ever, used.

K5WK Rating: 2/5 Jan 2, 2006 16:01 Send this review to a friend
quality control missing, support non-existant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thr paddle arrived wired incorrectly. The leads had been reversed, and I had to redo the paddle myself. One of the spacers that allows feedthru from the bottom to the top terminal was broken, and I requested a new one. It is 6 weeks later, and nothing was ever sent. I had to go to the hardware store and look for a plastic washer that would work.

I now have it working, but no thanks to anyone.

W0AZ Rating: 3/5 Nov 10, 2005 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful but flawed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I bought a CT 599 paddle after reading the reviews here (and have to admit that what really got me was the appearance of the paddle). I think it might be the best looking paddle Ive ever seen. The lines are elegant and clean; the finish is gorgeous. I bought the polished brass model, and it shines like a gem.

Im a sucker for elegant simplicity, but maybe that simplicity is this paddles downfall. In order to create the incredibly clean lines, the CT 599 uses a machine screw running through a single bearing as a pivot that supports each paddle arm. Each of the pivots is supported at the base, but not at the top. If the bearing through which the machine screw/pivot runs has any play in it at all, the paddle arm will wiggle up and down, and that wiggle will translate into a lot of up and down motion at the contact end of the paddle arm. My dit paddle bearing is a little wobbly. My dah paddle bearing is really loose. The paddle works okay because the keying motion is side to side, not up and down. But the wobble is disconcerting.

This problem may be quite variable, which would explain why so many of those who have reviewed them here love their CT 599 paddles (the difference in looseness between my own left and right paddle arms is fairly great). If you are lucky enough to get one of these with a tight set of bearings, the paddles will look great and probably work very well. If you are unlucky, youll end up with an unsatisfactory situation. The manufacturer is in the Ukraine and sending them back and forth would be a real pain. I wrote to the supplier (Welsh) when mine arrived asking if there was something we could do about it; that was nearly two weeks ago. Im still waiting for a reply.

Id love to see more feedback here from other CT 599 owners to learn if this problem is unusual, or if it is more common than the existing reviews seem to indicate.

VE7AGW Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2005 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my CT599 in the mail this morning # 84, bought if from Welch and it was shipped from the Ukrain. Very impressive and smooth to operate. I'm impressed with the guality of workmanship. It sure gives Vibroplex a run for their money. Even after the shipping costs this came in well under what a new Code Warrior would cost and it has a much nicer finish. Very nicely done,I couldn't find a defect in the finish at all and I'm a metal crafter/plisher.
Of all the dual paddle keys I've used in the past this one is at the top of the list for looks and performance.

KG6TT Rating: 3/5 May 22, 2005 02:13 Send this review to a friend
Finish poor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I expected far more but there is something lacking in these paddles. I have had mine for over a year now and I almost immediately noticed three areas of dissapointment: 1) The highly polished brass finish disappeared within about a month after which you could see imperfections and minute surface scratches everywhere and I really take care of my equipment. Cosmetically this is very disappointing. 2) There isn't enough range in the spring tension contol. I have to set mine to the point where the adjustment screw is ready to drop out (and it has) before I get the tension close to right. 3) The tension adjustments are too crude so hard to set up initially.

K9JP Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2005 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the second CT product I have purchased from Mr. Welsh on his Ebay auction site. The CT 599 arrived triple wall packed, and then insided of a foam lined shipping box. The paddle it self was secured to the inner most container, with machine screws and a backing plate. I have never seen a better way of shipping something like this!

The paddles are very well made, finish is perfect, adjustment was easy, and using them felt like they have been there for the last 35 years. Workmanship is Outstanding!

Thank You CT, for doing a super job and a very nice price. 73, and Good Health, Jeff - K9JP

W0PEA Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2005 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Great Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Vibroplex & Bencher, move over. I gave it a 5. I bought mine off Ebay from Anthony Welsh in England but it was shipped from the Ukraine, where I assume it was made. I like the feel very much. I found it easy to adjust. It is very well made and is very attractive on the desk. It took a long time for it too arrive but I am more than pleased with this key.

AF4O Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2004 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Best out of 2 I have used  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Rating it against the only other paddle I have ever used (Bencher) I gave it a 5. I bought mine off Ebay and its serial # 45. Mine was bought from Anthony Welsh in England but was shipped from the Ukraine (made there ?). I like the feel very much and it obviously helps me make fewer mistakes than the bencher. I am a slow speed operator so take that into account. I found it easy to adjust (easier than the bencher). It seems very well made and is pretty on the desk. It took a long time for it too arrive but I am happy.