Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | CT 599 Dual Lever Paddle Help

Reviews Summary for CT 599 Dual Lever Paddle
CT 599 Dual Lever Paddle Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: Ball Bearing Double Silver Contacts Plug & Play ++ Dual Paddle

You can write your own review of the CT 599 Dual Lever Paddle.

W6HDG Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2013 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Nicest iambic paddle I've ever used  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have nothing but good things to say about Yury and his CT599 paddle. It is so nice to purchase from a fellow ham who takes such pride in his products. The paddle is a work of art and is as solid as they come. No vertical motion at all and easy to adjust. I got the brass model and it is very impressive looking. It was packed extremely well - it would have had to be driven over by a truck to damage it!

Highly recommended and priced right. Thank you Yury!
VK7CW Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2012 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been looking for a replacement for my existing paddles for some time now and came across these paddles. I ordered one directly from the website and dealt with Yury.
The paddle is a marked improvement over my existing paddles (Bencher, HiMound, Black Widow) and looks fantastic to boot. It is extremely solid with a very smooth feel and operation.
Yury was excellent to deal with and provided prompt updates.
For the price these are an excellent paddle and I would highly recommend them.
K0XY Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2011 13:48 Send this review to a friend
...another great paddle !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
...sweet machine (CT599 Chrome) ! ...I had just acquired the CT73 from Yury about a month ago and posted my eHam review (me LIKE = 5)...I thought I would try the CT599 next !...the first thing I noticed was the key was well packed and the shipping box WAS NOT "dog earred" arrived in "fresh condition"...that was good...

...unpacked the CT599, again the internal packing was substantial...prior to installing on the radio, I did a few "clicks and clacks"...the 599 had a very precise feel, very smooth bearing tension and a nice sounding "clicks" ( but a bit different from the CT73)...some paddles have "clicks" and some "clacks"...the 599 was a delicate "click" like !

...the 599 also had the fine thread adjustment screws and a nice chrome finish...the contact spacing and the magnet spacing were a breeze to the 599 does not have a top bearing support bar I checked for vertical play on the contact arms...NO vertical play...I am pleased...

...plugged the 599 into the radio, and as expected the code generated was as perfect as I can fact, the settings from the manufacturer were near to my preference (contact spacing about the width of a single sheet of paper and the magnetic return required mimimal pressure)

...all in all, the 599 feels like a finely machined product ( as did the CT73) as opposed to a mass manufactured device...the difference of feel is suttle, but the 599 feels "machined" and ever so slightly different from the CT73... the current price point (approx. $150 US) I rate the CT599 as a great value and a true "top shelf" LIKE !!!!

...and I suppose the next question would be my preference of the 73 or the 599 ????...tough question...

...I guess thats' why I bought BOTH...enjoy !!!
N4HAL Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2011 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Like it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered from Yuri on 1/20/11 and received on 2/5/11. Finish is very good and looks like adjustment screws were changed from earlier coarse screws to finer ones. Easy to adjust and extremely smooth. My other key is a Kent and like this a little better.
WQ5O Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2010 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Great paddle, very smooth.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had quite a bit of CW experience since the middle 70s (military/commercial/ham). I've used Vibroplex, MFJ, and Bencher paddles over the years. I own two Bencher paddles I bought back in the 80s along with an old Vibroplex Bug I bought in the 70s. I find that the CT 599s are about the smoothest paddles I've ever used. The Benchers are good but these are better. Easy to set up and easy to use. As for the finish, if you've ever been in the military you know you have to polish brass to keep it looking good. I'm satisfied with mine looking a little tarnished. I'm retired from the military and have no intention of polishing brass ever again! A little tarnish has nothing to do with your sending. I love them and would recommend them to anyone that's a serious CW op. 73 es gud dx!
GI4GST Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2009 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Stunning looker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
An ebay purchase. I was amazed at how nice it looks.
The build quality and finish is excellent. Its worth taking some time to set it up to suit the operating style and the screw threads are a bit coarse, but with time and patience it can be adjusted to suit most ops . My other paddle is a Kent so I was initially supprised at the little "girlie" paddles but after a few hours practise they seem just right.
W5EGS Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2006 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Paddle  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am 75 yrs old, with arthritis. My numerous MFJ 422/Benchers just aren't comfortable anymore. I have purchased several of Tony's keyers and others. The final winner is the CT-599/MFJ-407 Combo. I can't explain anymore than, "It's comfortable, smooth, and I have less pain with it than any of the others". His shipping varies from 9 days to 27 days, but Hey, they're coming from the Ukraine. What do you expect? I have been afraid I was going to have to go back to hand keys, but luckily the CT-599 looks like it's going to do the job.
KT5D Rating: 2/5 Jan 31, 2006 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Could be better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This paddle was an ebay purchase with no prior experience with CT keys. My observations are based on nearly 40 years as an avid cw operator beginning with a straight key in my novice days and progressing to Vibroplex bugs and finally to keyers and paddles, all in pursuit of sending better morse code. I am fortunate that as I advance in age I still retain good hand coordination and years of practice have not been lost to any health afflications. So, what worked for me well years ago still does. The old Vibroplex bugs up on the shelf are finely tuned and can be placed into service at a moment's notice. Age has not affected them either, rather like fine wine in that regard. I fear however, that the CT 599 Dual Lever Paddle will not enjoy that esteemed state of being as it is off to a rather poor start. Straight out of the box, the dash lever has vertical pivot instability, with the lower bearing missing a retaining washer for the tiny balls within the bearing cup. As such, they are lose and contribute to the instability. Adjusting the spacing for the dash contact is rather useless as it cannot be maintained with the pivot point inconsistency. I do like the extremely low profile of this paddle, indeed that was one of the main reasons for purchasing it but this is definitely not a key one would travel with or even risk moving around very much. It will not survive a fall to the floor due to it's very fragile build quality. This is a key destined to join the old Vibroplexs on the shelf to be looked at often but rarely, if ever, used.
K5WK Rating: 2/5 Jan 2, 2006 16:01 Send this review to a friend
quality control missing, support non-existant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thr paddle arrived wired incorrectly. The leads had been reversed, and I had to redo the paddle myself. One of the spacers that allows feedthru from the bottom to the top terminal was broken, and I requested a new one. It is 6 weeks later, and nothing was ever sent. I had to go to the hardware store and look for a plastic washer that would work.

I now have it working, but no thanks to anyone.
W0AZ Rating: 3/5 Nov 10, 2005 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful but flawed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I bought a CT 599 paddle after reading the reviews here (and have to admit that what really got me was the appearance of the paddle). I think it might be the best looking paddle Ive ever seen. The lines are elegant and clean; the finish is gorgeous. I bought the polished brass model, and it shines like a gem.

Im a sucker for elegant simplicity, but maybe that simplicity is this paddles downfall. In order to create the incredibly clean lines, the CT 599 uses a machine screw running through a single bearing as a pivot that supports each paddle arm. Each of the pivots is supported at the base, but not at the top. If the bearing through which the machine screw/pivot runs has any play in it at all, the paddle arm will wiggle up and down, and that wiggle will translate into a lot of up and down motion at the contact end of the paddle arm. My dit paddle bearing is a little wobbly. My dah paddle bearing is really loose. The paddle works okay because the keying motion is side to side, not up and down. But the wobble is disconcerting.

This problem may be quite variable, which would explain why so many of those who have reviewed them here love their CT 599 paddles (the difference in looseness between my own left and right paddle arms is fairly great). If you are lucky enough to get one of these with a tight set of bearings, the paddles will look great and probably work very well. If you are unlucky, youll end up with an unsatisfactory situation. The manufacturer is in the Ukraine and sending them back and forth would be a real pain. I wrote to the supplier (Welsh) when mine arrived asking if there was something we could do about it; that was nearly two weeks ago. Im still waiting for a reply.

Id love to see more feedback here from other CT 599 owners to learn if this problem is unusual, or if it is more common than the existing reviews seem to indicate.