Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | DinKey portable paddlette Help

Reviews Summary for DinKey portable paddlette
DinKey portable paddlette Reviews: 39 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $30. USD
Description: Miniature iambic paddle for the Yaesu FT-817/897
More info: http://dinkey817.com/

You can write your own review of the DinKey portable paddlette.

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2014 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The simplicity of design is its elegance. Easy to use, easy to plug into the mic jack, and just enable the MIC KEY setting from the full menu options. Then make sure BK and KYR are enabled.

One thing I asked Fred about was the strap clip; it actually must be removed on the right side of the rig for the DinKey to fit into the MIC jack. I thought it was something I was doing wrong, but I contacted Fred (and received a very quick response).

The FT817 is a great rig, and this DinKey facilitates lightweight, simple operation (no need to carry my Bencher BY-1 with the rig anymore!)

Thanks, Fred. Well done, OM!

KG7GDP Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2014 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Must Have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Outdid the OEM.... Dinkey takes up oh-so-little space while providing a solid feel. Function and form are blended nicely in this unique key. I can't imagine a CW operator who would not want to have one in their bag.

M0ZAV Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2014 13:16 Send this review to a friend
DinKey is a win  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered the DinKey and it arrived in a week from the States to the UK, The Key arrived in good packaging, with instruction with a personalized letter.

New to CW, and never used a paddle before, I must say that I picked it up very easy.

The DinKey is very well made and put together. All together it is a very nice product and I would highly recommend the DinKey.

It is also supplied at a very good price.

Nice work Fred, it was a good idea and thanks for sharing and offering us all a great product.

Many thanks

M0ZAV

LNXAUTHOR Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2012 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu - LICENSE THIS DESIGN!  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have had the 817 DinKey and one of the now (discontinued) versions for the 857/897 for a number of years now.

i don't understand why Yaesu hasn't licensed this item - the designer who came up with this (KF6HQC) is brilliant!

that said, my specimen for the 817 version fits perfectly... unfortunately, the 857/897 version has always been problematic for insertion, but after getting it in works - tough to extract though

you can adjust the paddles to your liking - a manual process - but works!

this little paddle fits perfectly into what every 817 and Miracle Whip owner knows as the *perfect* portable carry case - the shoulder-strapped Nintendo DS case (hard to find nowadays); in this case i can carry the 817, its mic, a MW, and of course, a DinKey - in other words, an entire QRP/P station!

get one of these - it truly is, as others have written here - an essential accessory - i just don't under why Yaesu - like another reviewer wrote here - doesn't include one with each 817 - it would be a killer combo and unlike any QRP transceiver on the market!

GM6JUU Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2012 03:57 Send this review to a friend
a must have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
if you own an ft817 then for ultimate portability in morse mode, buy a DinKey ! my one arrived in only 7 days to the uk and makes an ideal companion for my portable qrp setup. beautifully made it comes with a 30 day money back guarantee although I can't imagine anyone wanting to return one. Fred kept me well informed of my orders progress and will be sure to give any product support should I ever need it. It gives me a great incentive to improve my morse for the summer portable operating. I am sure some of the guys at my local club will soon be placing their orders !

G5VZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2011 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Quirky but a joy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a lovely idea converted into a good design then hand-built with care and precision. It definitely is quirky and it took me a while to become comfortable with the DinKey knack. But once you get the knack it's wonderful.
It has very quickly become an essential part of my portable station.
The key arrived here just nine days after I placed an order on the internet, paying with PayPal. Fred, KF6HQC the DinKey's inventor, designer and maker kept me updated all through: confirming my order by email then despatch. I can see why he is able to confidently offer a 100% money-back guarantee as I can't imagine any genuine Morse enthusiast returning such a little gem as the DinKey.
Well done, Fred. And thanks!

VK5HCF Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2011 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fred is a very good communicator and backs his product beyond belief. The key itself is very well made and TINY. It will make an excellent companion to my FT817ND and Par antenna. A Begali it aint, but it costs a minute fraction of the full size magnetic type paddles and will still do the job. It may lack the flair of paddles 10 - 20 times the cost and it may lack some of the finnesse, but, it does work and works well.

VK5FRGM Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2011 05:15 Send this review to a friend
a must for the (QRP) enthusiast  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
right lets start the ball rolling by saying i received, my(DINKEY)made by fred (KF6HQC)this morning in the post ....
now i would like to add i live in ADELAIDE, SOUTH AUSTRALIA, and it only took from the constitution of the key to my front door,9 days ......wow...when i can order something from another state over here and it ends up some times taken two weeks,
the communication from fred via e-mail was spot on with every move he made about the process,of payment and the makeing of the key's to the posting of them ...

the key (ie DINKEY) is an engineers delight, simpley well soldered, and made very very well,

if you have really do want some thing so small to maybe fit in a matchbox or just put in your pocket for when you qrp with the little YAESU 817ND this is the key to have ...as i type this im thinking maybe the key would even fit in the antenna pouch beside the radio...its that small,

any way the product, the communication,and the quality of the parts that went in to makeing it,
are 110%

i would like to add there are other small keys and paddles out there but as for size and value,and also a warranty, i think you would find it hard to bypass this one.....

HB9FAQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2010 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After buying the dinkey for my new FT-897, I must say that was exactly what I was expecting, very good idea to Fred, I use of little but are happy, excellent key for portable use, with a little delicacy of course, for me good construction,for those who want having fun CW.
Congratulations Fred!!

M0JHA Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2010 03:43 Send this review to a friend
well done Fred  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
what can you say.. it does exactly what it says on the tin.. My mrs got me one as a present.. As has been stated it just makes the 817 even more portable. if you love your 817 you will love this.. well done again Fred..

Hooked it up just now adjusted the contact spacing and ,well it works..

bill m0jha