Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | DinKey portable paddlette Help

Reviews Summary for DinKey portable paddlette
DinKey portable paddlette Reviews: 38 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $30. USD
Description: Miniature iambic paddle for the Yaesu FT-817/897
More info: http://dinkey817.com/

You can write your own review of the DinKey portable paddlette.

N3JJT Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2010 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Makes the 817 Very Portable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I told Fred I would make sure I wrote a review. Well, here it is! This little paddle is just what makes the 817 a more portable rig than it was. I have been using the paddle here in the shack, getting used to the size and feel. Very easy to use, unless you let your finger or thumb stay too close the paddle, it does not take much to key it! I am happy that I purchased this paddle for the 817. So, this year when I take the 817 out in the field, this will be right there. Thanks, Fred for the great product!

73..de Scott N3JJT

K6RCS Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2009 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Great product, Great support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After buying the Dinkey for my new FT-897, I was excited (perhaps too excited) to get the device up and running for our club campout. As is clearly stated in the manual, the 897 chassis's are all just a little bit different. I filed away a bit of the plastic (over did-it, actually) and the device worked. This is a limitation on the Yaesu and *not* the Dinkey. But like any new kid with a new toy I didn't pay close attention to the way to initially get the Dinkey in the rig. I contacted the designer and he supported the product 100% and refixed the "O-rings" for me at no charge. To me, the responsiveness of product support and the effort by Fred to "make it right" was beyond anything I've seen in any product support capacity. For this reason alone I would have to rank the Dinkey high on the scale.

Now on to the product itself.... The device works precisely as advertised. This is to say that it works great! I have the remote mic for the 897 and consequently I have to disable the remote mic when using the Dinkey (Menu #59 in the 897). I set the Remote mic P2 memory to this function so that I can change it on the fly.

The device is responsive and not cumbersome (I don't get tired using the paddle at all). I showed my new paddle off at our club picnic and wow'ed the members. How cool is it to carry a tiny paddle with you when you have a truly remote rig with batteries and the tuner built in?

The only concern I would have about the Dinkey is related to the nature of RJ-45 plugs (who hasn't broken the tab off an RJ-45 plug in their lives?). But knowing Fred's level of commitment and service to the product, I know that if I did break the clip Fred would fix it for a nominal service charge once outside of warranty. I cannot ask for anything else from a manufacturer.

What a neat design, great paddle, and lightweight setup for remote rigs like the 897. You won't be sorry you bought one of these if you are looking for a lightweight paddle to use in the field.

Absolutely no complaints about product, service, or warranty. The device is exactly as promised and arrives quickly as well. I've been using the paddle now for over a month as I refine my CW skills (which is to say I am using the paddle quite a bit). For the price and the product you cannot beat this unit for your Yaesu's. But be a little careful with an 897. You really don't need to adjust the Dinkey to your chassis much (if at all) unless you are stupid (like I was). Kudos to Fred and the Dinkey. Thanks so much!

XE1UFO Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2009 08:47 Send this review to a friend
GREAT IDEA  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sometimes there iss no place to rest a paddle or key, such as when you are pedestrian portable. This is the catīs meow!

IZ4KBS Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2009 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Very handy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This key is one of those clever ideas that pop up in someone's head every once in a while. As simple as it is, it is one of the most clever accessories that I have got for my Yaesu FT-817, and it is quite honestly priced too. I got mine after a few weeks since it was mailed, but that's because of our lousy Italian postal service, that takes ages when it comes to importing stuff from other than EU countries (they not only add extra fees, they also apply VAT on the total amount too! That's taxes upon taxes!), so I was prepared to both the long lead time and to the 10 extra Euro rip-off. Apart from that, this key is a really nifty addition to my portable setup. Good job Fred!

N7EDK Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2009 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Just great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received mine last week,great little set of paddles.I'm still working on my CW,but it's so smooth and easy to use.These will go with me when backpacking and camping.Fred is so good to work with also,he keeps you informed on the progress of your order,and lets you know when it's shipped.The price has gone to $30.00,but it's still a bargain for what you get.A great addition for your FT-817,thanks Fred!

AB2NJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2008 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Try it, you'll like it too!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great lil key at a super bargain price. It is well designed and solidly built to last. The 100% money back, 30day guarantee is good enough for the tightest fist in our hobby and it leaves no room for dissatisfaction. Fred is easy to deal with and gives you every penny's worth as a vendor. This is one cool product for portable use and "show & tell" at ham gatherings.
-Briggs, ab2nj Gloucester, Ma.

KD7VRG Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2008 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my DinKey the other day. Fred kept in touch with me via email, and let me know when it was shipped. The design is ingenious and well crafted, and it fits very snugly in the mic socket. This is a neat little gadget and a definite "must have" for any FT-817 QRP'er/backpacker. Kudos to Fred and his DinKey!

Mike
KD7VRG

HC2S Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2008 15:07 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Miniature  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a DinKey to my FT-817ND, innovative idea, excellent for portable or mobile operations, works flawlessly plug & play; and the Fred's client service is a world class. Thanks again Fred.

Rene
HC2SA
Guayaquil - Ecuador
South America

K8RBW Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2008 20:46 Send this review to a friend
A Real Joy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am trying to refrain from reviewing things until I have had a reasonable period to assess them. The recent large number of premature and poorly written reviews of the FT-950 has served to substantiate my opinion.

I have had the DinKey for about eight months and found it to greatly enhance the pleasure of operating the FT-817 as a portable radio. It minimizes the load one has to carry while serving as a very functional paddle. Although appearing to be slight, it is really quite robust and travels well.

In spite of this review, I won't be doing much portable operating in the current sub-zero temperatures!

Prior to posting please reviews, it pays to first heed the advice of Abraham Lincoln: "Sometimes it is best to say nothing and appear a fool rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Vy 73,
de Dick, K8RBW
(an "old" ham who likes tubes as well as solid state components)

WD5WR Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2008 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Great accessory for the 817  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Stumbled on this key while trying to find an inexpensive small key solution to my newly acquired FT-817ND.
Works great and well built too. Fits well into the mic jack and small enough to put it in your pocket.
Fred makes a great product and is wonderful to deal with. If you have an 817 and enjoy CW portable this is a must have for your pack.

Will - WD5WR