Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TK-280 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TK-280
Kenwood TK-280 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $550.00
Description: Trunked (600 ch.)& Conventional (250 ch.)FleetSync Digital messaging&Signaling,multi-scan funtionals,12 character DOT Matrix,10 character Alphanumeric,QT&DQT coded squelch,security features,and flash memory advantage.
More info: http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/pmr/tk280380.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TK-280.

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2010 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent multi-use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I went looking for affordable VHF handhelds that meet current narrowband type-acceptance requirements for public safety as well as working into the 2M ham band. Among others I found the TK-280, which was great as I have Kenwood 900 MHz radios that use the same software and programming cables.
The TK-280 IS a commercial VHF radio, so things like a VFO knob and other bells and whistles found on ham-only HT's aren't there. But the TX and RX audio are great, it's at least as sensitive as a ham-only HT, scan works beautifully, seems to be less subject to front-end crossmod than ham HT's. 250 channels seems to be adequate for my needs.
I use this radio for volunteer firefighting also, and it is adequately tough for that service. One concern: The bottom of the radio near the battery latch is quite thin, so if the radio is dropped and lands on that area it might crack. I use a lanyard to keep the radio from hitting the ground should I drop it, avoiding that particular issue.
This radio is only available used, but a good one should be in the +/- $100 range.

KM6X Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2010 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Solid HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
One solid HT with lots of accessories. These are becoming available as public safety moves to higher bands. I discovered the TK-380 after getting a job at a LMR shop and was so impressed I got a couple 280's used. Type 1, 146-174 version easily works down into the Ham 2m band. Checked it on the service monitor and transmit and receive were within specs at 144Mhz. The lack of a VFO requires you to get an older PC to program. There are so many options offered in the programming, they are too numerous to list them all. One that is very useful is the LOCK. Set the channel and lock, only the vol up-down works. Great for loaning out at public safety events. Plenty of channel capacity for all your freqs and type accepted for your out of band needs. I put in the MURS frequencies so non-Hams can use them. As you might expect, the accessories are high quality and available from many vendors. I rated it a 5 for high quality and that legendary Kenwood audio.

The good:
MIL-SPEC rated
Commercial quality (of course)
Excellent audio quality
Simple to operate
Part 90 type accepted, and narrowband capable
Dozens of accessories available, new and used
D-swivel belt attachment superior to everything else

The bad:
No VFO (we know that)

W2WRX Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2004 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent (VHF) Portable HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
This HT is another great radio by Kenwood.This one is a VHF model with Trunking or Conventional systems.In the Trunking format,you can access 600 channels,while in the conventional format,you get 250 ch.I've got it set up in the Conventional mode and got everything I could possibly think of.This is a Tough Built Radio and Sealed proof from extra hard weather you can throw at.The Audio check from another ham said that it was better sounding than my Motorola GP-300 Radius,it had a more fuller and Articulated sound to it.The motorola sounded more treble to it's tone.Don't get me wrong Motorola ownners,I do love my Motorolas,but in real test on the audio,the Kenwood TK-280 is a winner.I even swapped the radio and letted him do the two radio Audio check and by far it came to the Kenwood.Transmitting and recieving was excellent.There are some interference on the recieve side from being to close to the computer,that it was to sensative on the input ,so I had to get in the program and cut back on the sensativity recieve side and the problem went away.You can also set the Squelch gain less or high if you wanted too.The Audio on the Recieve side is really excellent too,it has a Beefier Sounding to it,either on the radio external speaker or the KMC-25 speaker microphone that is also MIL-SPEC.When you handle one of this ,you'll know a good quality from the texture feel and constrution being put by Kenwood and the Durability.The VHF 280 model is the same as the 380, except it is in the UHF mode.There are alot of accessories to the TK-280.I'm using 3 KNB-22N batteries @ 2100 mAh's,the new drop in charger KSC-24 will charge a Ni-cad's or Ni-mh's with no problems.I even use it for the Satellites too,just hook up your program cable to the computer with the Software and your in business.
Do you want a TOUGH and PROFFESIONAL Radio,this is the ONE !!!!!! It cost more,but it worth it in the years to come. ;} Carl W2WRX !!!!!