Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-950SD Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-950SD
Kenwood TS-950SD Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3800.00
Description: former kenwood flagship
More info: http://kenwood radio

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-950SD.

IK0ZTB Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2009 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Rock radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have buyed this radio with some problems: final stage with missing parts, frontal panel key with poor contact, tx power control defect.
After repair this rtx is now fully operative, it have a good receiver and wonderful trasmitter.

W4EPA Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2008 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my seventh Kenwood TS-950sd. I would buy them, repair if needed and ealuate them .This one wound up the best. Great receiver which is not over done with controls that should have been fixed origionally and excellent tx and audio reports. The slope tune and 1.8 optional filter makes contesting a lot of fun. The other six were sold but this one has found a home. The SP950 speaker is esential with the 950sd. It makes the audio sound natural and robust. All in all could not be more satisfied. Jim W4EPA@arrl.net

2E0TZM Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2007 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Best Ever  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Im going to keep the review very short this is quite simply the best radio ive ever used. Top notch receive and everone comments how good i sound. If you get chance of one buy it.

N8HB Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2006 18:34 Send this review to a friend
The best rig I ever had  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best rig I ever had for all the years I have been on the air.
I had troubles with the finals unsoldering and
when I wanted to have it repaired by the dealer who sold it to me 15 years ago they told me they
do not repir them any longer I have to buy a new radio !!!!!!!
Well Kenwood East Coast told me that they are still repairing them so my problem was solved.

The only problem I see is with the two receiver
outputs that they are not on seperate sides for each output on the headphones. I sure would like to get help from someone to rewire the phone out-
put Left for main receiver and RIGHT for 2nd re-
ceiver so I know who is hollering where what happens to me with VU4.

I hope to hear from somebody, maby even in Northwest Ohio.

M1BNK Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2004 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio - well worth the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I parted with my TS850 and FT847 and went to look for something else, I had no idea what. Anyway, I got offered this cheap and it's fantastic. Receive performance is superb. At my home where garden space is non-existant, I need a good RX to make the most of small antennas. RX & TX audio are good, even on the original hand mike. I now use a MC60 which perks the audio up a bit, and I have the full filter set installed. Real rock filters are so much more pleasant on the ears than DSP - much nicer than the 847.

Tuner is noisy, and a problem in the SWR meter circuit means my tuner stops at 3:1 - an easy fix when I get round to it an a common fault I believe - but I use a manual one anyway so I have not been bothered yet.

I wish it used a SMPSU for less weight and heat, and I still look for a DC radio for /P working - trouble is none of them live up to this!

I0JX Rating: 4/5 Jul 18, 2004 06:24 Send this review to a friend
Caution!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A serious problem with the TS-950SD has been discovered (not occurring with the TS-950SDX). If you switch the transceiver off, and these two conditions occur:
1) the TS-950SD is in the CW mode
2) no antenna is connected to the transceiver
one of the two final transistors will fail!
A deterministic test has been done, sacrifying several transistors: in 100% of the cases, one transistor blew up. This problem was occasionally discovered by a friend of mine who used to disconnect the antenna from the transceiver (as a safety measure) before switching the radio off. So, be careful!

W6IML Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2004 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Best..almost  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my TS-950SD for almost one year now, and consider it one of the best ham rigs ever made. There are a few things I am not fond of, like the slope tune. It seems to be a audio filter, and not much more. The speech processor is nothing to write home to MaMa about, nor is the vox controls. Other than these few things, the rig is a pleasure to use.
Would I buy another one? Only if I could not find a Yaesu FT-1000D!

TF8GX Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2004 19:03 Send this review to a friend
The BEST ?  Time owned: more than 12 months
The best resever i ever had and full 150w out !
I like this rig more than the FT-1000 .
The tuner is quick and silent in my rig .

Expencive ..... but one of the BEST !!

G0DJT Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2003 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Noisy ATU  Time owned: more than 12 months
My TRX - which I mainly use for HF Packet radio - has recently developed a sqeaky/squealing noise in the ATU when changing bands. Has anyone else experienced this and managed to get rid of the noise?

73, Per (G0DJT/LA9GG).

M0CUS Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2003 18:13 Send this review to a friend
joy to use  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned my 950sd for just over 6 months and I have nothing but admiration for the radio.When I first got it I used it with an Adonis desk mic and got a few complaints about the audio and a background hum. I have used the mic with other radios and never had that problem so I decided to try a kenwood MC85 mic before suspecting a faulty radio. The tx audio improved way beyond expetations and all background noise and any hum dissapeared. Not sure why the radio does not like the Adonis though. The receiver works really well especially when used with the SP950 speaker. I am not over impressed with the DSP on ssb but I have used DSP on other radios and never been that impressed anyway. The one annoying thing is it lacks a fine tune but I belive this is included in the sdx model,It would also be useful if the sub receiver operated on other bands apart from the one your using so it dont get much use on my radio.I purchased this second hand and have no regrets, but if you have a SDX that you want to part with then do give me a call, I maybe intrested.