Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Workman SX-144/430 SWR-Wattmeter Help

Reviews Summary for Workman SX-144/430 SWR-Wattmeter
Workman SX-144/430 SWR-Wattmeter Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $50
Description: Cross needle VHF/UHF SWR/POWER meter. Model #SX144-430. Frequency range 120MHz~500MHz, power range 0~500W, includes 12VDC meter illumination.

You can write your own review of the Workman SX-144/430 SWR-Wattmeter.

N4ZAW Rating: 1/5 Apr 6, 2014 07:33 Send this review to a friend
ZERO QC.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought it new and stuck it inline ,where it has stayed for almost two years. Recently,I put up a new beam. I noticed it was giving me a much lower reading than I got when I was outside, working on the beam with my factory-calibrated SWR analyzer. I compared it to my LDG and a friend's Diawa.. They both agreed with the the analyzer's readings, this POC did not...I could've lost my radio's finals over this and am not happy. I had no idea it has been jiving me all that time!

When something breaks around here, I usually open it up and try to find out what went wrong -- but not this thing. I opened up it alright. Then I ripped the meter out of it and chunked the rest!

KB4BJM Rating: 4/5 Oct 26, 2011 02:48 Send this review to a friend
Has some extras  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this new a week ago on Ebay for a total of $37.00 after shipping. It has a few features that other new meters don't have. The power cable is fused. The back light has an off/on switch and the cabinet is vented too. It seems to be as precise as any other inexpensive meter. So far... it works out of the box with no issues.Thanks..

KD0NFF Rating: 4/5 Jan 7, 2011 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Not bad!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Not as accurate as a Bird or other more costly meter, but mine reads with enough accuracy to get the job done, no more than +-10% variation. Large cross-needle meter element is easy to read and looks good. No regrets regarding this purchase.. Works equally well on 2m and 440, not sure about 220 since I don't use the band myself.

KJ4FGI Rating: 1/5 Aug 8, 2009 23:01 Send this review to a friend
Didn't last long.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked for about two weeks and than went south, no tech support and no service manual or any other information to aid in repair, JUNK (I should have relied a little more on the reviews) what do you expect buy cheep get cheep. Picked up a Diamond SX-400, I had it for a year now and itís not the best but I am happy with the results I get.

W1LVT Rating: 3/5 Mar 23, 2009 08:38 Send this review to a friend
Not bad - not great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
GOOD STUFF: Have had mine for over 6 months now and it is a good little meter. I used the MFJ antenna analyzer as a comparison for SWR at various frequencies and they matched pretty closely. Also, the wattmeter turned out to be accurate as well. Overall, not bad at all for the bucks.

BAD STUFF: 1. the meter lights did not work right out of the box - lousy soldering job on the lamps (no sockets-they are soldered in directly).
2. Someone had written on the back of the plastic meter shield with a magic marker at the factory - this distorted the meter lights once they were working. A little soap and water took care of that.

Overall good except for shaky quality control - otherwise would have rated it higher.

K0UA Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2008 07:13 Send this review to a friend
works well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had mine for almost a year. Its accurate, and all functions work. I keep mine in line on 2m rig at all times. Worth the money. I really needed it to get my J pole tuned up.

KG6POG Rating: 4/5 Jul 20, 2007 02:54 Send this review to a friend
Ok, but not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this meter for awhile now. The first year it was such an improvement over the MFJ 2 meter SWR/Power meter I had I thought it was worth a 5.
But after a few years, though it's ok, I bought a power transformer so I could light the face. Guess what, it doesn't work. I tried two different new Radio Shack power adapters and though they both worked on other items they would not work on the this meter. So I took it apart (very easily done) and saw the bulbs but they are both soldered in and kind of a pain to deal with.

So for a 2 meter SWR/Power meter, it works pretty good, but the fact that the face lights don't work on mine, was a little dissapointing.

KE5HFM Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2006 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Good - when used right  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I Picked up my SX-144/430 off of E-bay for $25 or so. I've heard a number of horror stories from people buying gear off there, but so far, I've not been bitten. (knock on wood).

First, let me say this. I bought this meter for NO OTHER REASON than to protect my base station. I wasn't interested in how accurate the meter was, numbers-wise as long as it was consistant... and it is. I was interested in measuring the SWR on my rig in RELATIVE form. (i.e. I know my antenna is 1.2:1 at 146mhz on the meter. If it suddenly jumps, somethings wrong).

So with that said, I'd say for the moola, this is a good little meter. I've had mine up and running now for about 30 days non-stop and it's been reliable. It's actually saved my radio once when a solder joint came loose on my antenna, It also let me know that when my double J-pole gets wet, the SWR's go up beyond 2:1, allowing me to fix the little homebrew workhorse before I destroyed the radio.

So, for what it is and how much it costs... heck yeah! Hook 'er up, and leave 'er alone. save your expensive rig with a $30 meter!!

I did find however, that the meter is quite accurate. It's within .1 swr of an MFJ-259B, which is pretty respectable. Wattage outputs shown so far are also pretty accurate.

I haven't had the loose solder joint problems that others have described, and the case is nice and sturdy.

Heck, I'd buy another one at that price.

KG6YTZ Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2005 07:01 Send this review to a friend
One defect, fixed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought mine from an eBay seller and keep it inline in the shack. I did have one problem with it right out of the box - when I connected it to my supply, the lights did not work. A little bit of continuity testing found the culprit - one of the solder blobs which hold the bulbs in place was not making contact. Needless to say, it was an easy fix, and I have not had a single problem with it since. It seems to be accurate as far as I can tell, the cross-needles show forward and reflected power simultaneously, so what more could I want? Well, aside from maybe a little quality control...

WA2FAA Rating: 0/5 Jul 15, 2005 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Mine was JUNK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yes I joined the croud and spent very little money for this jewel. It lasted about 2 weeks tops, then put out nothing but false readings. After looking it over, I decided to pitch it against the wall. Not worth my time and effort to repair it.