Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | WIREMAN - w2du design - Current BALUN Help

Reviews Summary for WIREMAN - w2du design - Current BALUN
WIREMAN - w2du design - Current BALUN Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $26
Description: WIREMAN Model 827 BALUN is the w2du design available with So-239 on one end of a PVC enclosure and 6" pigtails on the other end. Teflon type coax is used in this Current BALUN surrounded by ferrite doughnuts.
More info: http://thewireman.com

You can write your own review of the WIREMAN - w2du design - Current BALUN.

WA2SFT Rating: 2/5 Jan 17, 2014 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Water Water Water  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The BALUN was GREAT when I first purchased it. After about a year I noticed that the SWR was unstable and bouncing all over the meter. When I removed and inspected the BALUN, I could hear water swishing inside when I shook the unit. I also notice slight water drops from around the eye-bolt (that was tight) after having it inside the house days later when it was shaken.

Since the BALUN was under a wood plank porch, it had some protection to the rain. However, if this unit would have been 100% exposed to direct rain, I am sure it would have failed much earlier.

N3AHC Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2008 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent design, really works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a good dependable coax fed Balun to use with my 80/40 dipole/Vee, something that could stand full power and not blow up under a miss match with a tuner. After some research I decided to contact Walt Maxwell W2DU himself. Walt turned out to be a very nice man with a world of experiance and knowledge about Baluns and antenna's. My old antenna was a 80-40 dipole/vee without a balun so the coax was part of the antenna, not good but it worked with some RF in the shack running 100 watts. So I built a new 80/40 dipole and assembled it using the WIREMAN brand of W2DU High Voltage balun. I no longer have any RF in the shack and the antenna works extremly well without a tuner. The only time I need the Palstar 1500 CV tuner is when I'm on 20 meters. I haven't tried to tune on 15 as yet. I'm running a Ameritron AL80B full steam into the antenna and not a spark, crackle, or pop. I think the balun cost 34.00 and some scrap wire. Thank you Walt W2DU. The people at the Wireman company are great as well.

W7JK Rating: 1/5 Jan 30, 2008 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Unsatisfactory  Time owned: more than 12 months
The W2DU Baluns (2) were fine until they absorbed too much rain water and shorted out. This possibly could have been avoided by appling some sort of sealer around the eyebolts. Regretably the Wireman declined to replace the pair that leaked.

NK2B Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2007 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Spi-Ro 4:1 Balun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Outstanding service. Asked Press a question and got a very quick and accurate answer. Ordered balun on Monday, got it on Wed (OK SC to VA is close). Matching my AT897 to a ladder wire feed to a long wire. My question was do I need an 8:1 balun to match my 50 ohm TX to 400 ohm ladder line. Answer is no, 4:1 gets me close enough. Dont want to start a discussion about baluns, let's just say the 4:1 with AT897 works just fine and loads the antenna. Quality of the balun from Press is great, should last quite a while.

Clark

WV4R Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2005 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Now UP for a YEAR & is still ticking...  Time owned: more than 12 months
my Wireman - w2du design - Current BALUN is now up for One Year this month & still working like Day One according to my MFJ Analyzer and my Mirage Wattmeter.

I am sticking with my Original Product Review for this product.

73 es God bless, murf/wv4r.