Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | I.C.E. Model 516 - Remote R.F. 6-Switch Assembly Help

Reviews Summary for I.C.E. Model 516 - Remote R.F. 6-Switch Assembly
I.C.E. Model 516 - Remote R.F. 6-Switch Assembly Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $184
Description: ICE Model 516 Remote RF 6-Switch Assembly requires 12vdc@75ma up to 500feet from power source - Copper Strap Hardwired Relays with 2000vac Breakdown Rating - 11ms Switching Time - Remote Heated Enclosure - 0.1db Insertion Loss DC-30mhz - 6.0KW RF Power Rating - Heavy Aluminum enclosures, Stainless Steel Hardware - Automatic All Unused Port Grounding - 4-Page Manual
More info: http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/ice/rfswitch.html#3

You can write your own review of the I.C.E. Model 516 - Remote R.F. 6-Switch Assembly.

F6GNZ Rating: 2/5 Jan 5, 2016 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Problem after 6 years of use  Time owned: more than 12 months
After writing my review in 2009 I used the switch for 6 years. Recently found RX signals disappear or suddenly become too weak on some bands. Checking VSWR on my Bird following my PA indicated no problems. But my AIM4170C analyser indicated extremely high VSWR, idem on my FT1000MP running very low power. After dismounting the relay box from my tower, found almost all SO239 connectors black and oxidated inside, the PL259 getting extracted or inserted without any feel of resistance from the spring effect of the internal SO239 connector! The elasticity of the internal female sleeve has been lost with time, it had enlarged loosening contact with the male connector, resulting in arcing and oxidation during transmission of high power from my Linear Amplifier. After going to RX, contact shortly remained, then got lost. Had to replace all SO239 connectors with the new ones. Great pity for this otherwise excellent product.

K6CTA Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2009 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Well Built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the model 519, which is the 9 position version of this switch. I have owned a number of remote switches, and this one has to be the heaviest duty of all. The remote relay unit uses copper strap and heavy copper wire (very short length) rather than pc boards for all connections. Very well built. The heating element is an interesting touch. The indoor control unit is also very solid. This unit should out last me!

KK0K Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the 516R 6-position switch. It is a first-class piece of equipment; well made, with excellent quality components. It works flawlessly.

Please note that although the 516R is a rugged, well-built piece of equipment, as stated in ICE literature, the remote switching unit is not waterproof. So, if the remote unit is to be installed where it will be exposed directly to precipitation, it will need to be sealed or enclosed in a weatherproof case. ICE sells rainproof enclosures as accessories.

As a previous reviewer noted, after you order the switch you need to allow several weeks for it to arrive at your location. It took four weeks for mine to arrive, but I wasn’t in a hurry, and it was worth the wait.

Frank (KK0K)

W7WX Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2008 22:17 Send this review to a friend
519 Owner / Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 519 (9 position) which is basically the same thing. Allow 3 weeks for them to ship it as I think they build to order. Took about 4 weeks to show up, but well worth the wait. Very easy to install and straight forward instructions. I run legal limit sometimes, and this set up hasn't missed a beat.

I have nothing to compare this unit to as this is my first remote switch box. I based my decision on the eham reviews though (and glad I did). But for the little bit of price difference compared to the other manufacturers, it's been a very dependable set up for me. I'd recommend this product as a good value.

W7LJB

KA7GKN Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2005 17:19 Send this review to a friend
excellent quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Acom 2000A was giving me arc fault alarms and every time it alarmed, I found it to be my alpha delta 4 position switch as the cause. Now before you gang up on me..the alpha delta switch has served me well, and it has been in service for over 16 years!
I have replaced the discharge device, resoldered the innards etc. But it is time to replace it.

I purchased the 516 switch from previous experience of the high quality products from ICE. I also admit if it's good enough for "Murph" it's good enough for me!!!

Now, this switch is definetly overkill for my needs, but I really like it. Of course I opened it up when I received it. The inside is a thing of beauty, amazing soldering, well dressed cables, quality relays etc. I did slip a mix-31 ferrite split bead inside the relay section and the switch box just to be safe.

I use this system indoors so I am not useing the heater ..but it's a large resistor designed to keep the relays happy.

Bottom line is my Acom 2000A has not arc faulted once since I installed the new switch. I am very pleased with the unit. Anyone looking for a well made 6 position coax switch that grounds all when not powered and wants a remote or not remote switch system this is the device for you.

Marty ka7gkn

WV4R Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2004 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Engineered & Built like a modern battle tank!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using ICE products over twenty years, I decided to buy their Model-516 Remote Coax 6-Switch. I checked a number of remote switches and even briefly contemplated home-brewing one, however, ICE is simply Unbeatable for the money. The #516 arrived in two heavy plastic bags surrounded by lotza popcorn and a heavy box. Immediately you See the quality... Heavy 1/8" aluminum enclosures - commercial quality hardware using s/s - even a sexy krinkle-finish on the Control Head and 2-Handles! I soldered some wire to the Furnished 12vdc plug (the Common variety), wired up some extra 8-conductor rotor cable, replaced my Manual Coax Switch at the Main Operating Console for Testing Purposes, turned ON the unit AND the 'Heater' to see jest How hot it would heat and Voila! The switch is Fast... they spec. it at 11ms and who am I to argue. The LEDs are bright and the Switch feels like quality. I killed the power to convince myself it not only it grounded and opened but that it would come back to where it was before failing the power. All my humble tests confirmed my belief in ICE! They make REAL Commercial Stuff and it is Absolute Quality in every way. Features, Quality, Performance, Price earn this unit the wv4r FIVE-Star Rating. 73 es God bless, murf.