Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | MFJ 1701 Six Position HF Coax Switch Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1701 Six Position HF Coax Switch
MFJ 1701 Six Position HF Coax Switch Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $50
Description: Six position antenna switch. Select 1 of 6 antennas. 1.8 - 30 MHz. Unused terminals are grounded. SO-239 connectors. 2kW PEP, 1 kW CW. 50 - 75 Ohm loads. Covered by MFJ one year limited warranty. MFJ will repair or replace (at our option) your MFJ product for one complete year.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1701

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1701 Six Position HF Coax Switch.

W8KX Rating: 4/5 Dec 24, 2012 22:17 Send this review to a friend
Good value and quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Basically a copy of the B&W 595.
I would only use this for HF. Quality of the switch is about the same as on the B&W equipment. I like the mounting ears on the case and the wing nut grounding lug. Screws holding the case together are substantial. Unlike the 595 the wire connecting the "common" connector to the switch is long and will add a constant impedance bump to the switch (not a big deal at HF). The SO-239's are about the same quality as on current Japanese radios. I like that they are screwed on so they can be replaced.
Paint is soft and will scratch easily.

N8JUQ Rating: 2/5 Aug 31, 2011 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Quality has dropped  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having read some of these reviews, I had to dig out my MFJ-1701 and look it over. I've not had it in service for maybe 10 years. On closer inspection, only a hole on one end is provided but no ground stud, the PL259's are installed with nuts and bolts, not the pop rivets as was reported, so a later change was maybe made, probably to cut production costs at some point. The quality of the PL259 are cheap - something of Radio Shack quality, but not a better Amphenol quality. I gave it a 2.

KZ1W Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2009 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Works fine for HF modest power  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought (8/08) a MFJ-1701 to switch some Beveridges so wasn't too concerned about SWR, but the prior posts encouraged me to look a little deeper. And it was a good chance to try out my new AIM4170C analyzer.

Here are the results (after calibration and with the same 50 ohm load PL259 on the port under test)
All measurements are from common to the selected port.

As manufactured, return loss in db

port 1Mhz 29.7Mhz 60Mhz

1 SWR 1.014 1.455
loss 43 14.64

6 SWR 1.022 1.924
loss 40 10

The SWR curves are smooth from 1 to 60Mhz, no bumps or dips. A quick check of the other ports showed no significant deviation from the above numbers. The construction seems to have improved as the SO239s are fastened with machine screws and the nuts are glyptoled. The switch looks like a decent quality ceramic but I wouldn't trust it if you have a full power with a high SWR situation. The results are only slightly different with the small cap across the output. Since there is no attempt to maintain a 50 ohm impedance with the 14 gauge wires to the switch, my guess is it is a compromise attempt to compensate for the extra inductance of the bare wires.

For HF work and up to modest power it will do the job at an ok price.

W6AKF Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2009 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Ground Lug and Cap.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my 1701 from AES and noticed a problem of where the ground lug is located,right in front of where they drilled the mounting hole on the left! I took apart the box apart a drilled like-sized hole 1 inch from up from the original hole, and put the ground lug back in play.

Does anyone know why they put a 3M 3KV cap. on the COM SO-239 port?

Works fine.

Stephen
W6AKF
stephenmcd1comcast.net

RADIO_RANDY Rating: 3/5 Mar 18, 2009 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Maybe OK for HF, but...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'll start by stating that I didn't take notice of whether or not this switch was rated for 6 Meter use. After sweeping the inputs and outputs, I've determined it isn't good enough for my use. The SWR increases, logarithmically, from a 1.3:1 at 25MHz to 1.7:1 at 50MHz. I expected better performance. Oh well.

Secondly (or, should I say Firstly), the design needs help. Who, in their right mind, decided to mount the grounding stud directly in front of the screw hole on the mounting flange. This required me to disassemble the switch, mount the back plate, then reassemble the switch. Duh! That was big flub on someones part.

The knob coming loose after just a few uses appears to be a common complaint, so I won't beat that dead horse.

Lastly, the CHEAP SO-239's used are a recipe for intermittents. Trust me, I've already been there.

As they say, "You get what you pay for.". With that in mind, I give the MFJ a 3 rather than a 2. If I want low loss on 6 and 10, I'll buy the Alpha Delta.

KD8EZU Rating: 3/5 Jul 14, 2008 14:13 Send this review to a friend
MIxed feelings  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought one so I could use Three rigs into one or two antenna's. The unit is nice looking and mine used screws not pop rivets to hold in the
PL-239 connectors. The switch does not feel flimsy. I have two LDG antenna tuners and notice that when I key up one rig , the tuner on the other rig will start to autotune, so there is some leakage somewhere. I can live with that. I gave it a "3" because one of the sockets does not work at all , and it's due to a loose connection at the switch. If I "Jiggle" the switch while on that socket ,it will work intermittantly . This is not acceptable. Mine appears to be grounded and has a ground wing nut. Oh Well..., for $59.00 I can live with that also. It's a shame because the unit actually looks and feels pretty decent. All the other switches were very expensive. MFJ provides a "niche" market ( people like me who have little cash) and you can't be too hard on them. Not all of us can afford the expensive equipment that is out there.
Check your unit before using for shorts or quality control lapses at the factory .

WV4R Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2007 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Leaks 'signal'... it's MFJ  Time owned: more than 12 months
After using the MFJ-1701 I must agree with previous Reviewers... there IS signal leakage on the GROUND side since the ground is Not isolated. HOWEVER... "For The Money" it still is an economical 6-switch and mine looks gud on the inside and is tight and works gud if you can handle the leakage. Hey... you know what MFJ's OTHER name is! Reliability/Quality/PRICE still earns the WV4R FOUR start. 73 es God bless, murf/WV4R.

K3MOV Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2007 01:07 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely no problems after five years!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I mounted this switch permanently to my operating desk about five years ago and have used it with many different combinations of antennas and rigs. I have had absolutely no problems with it - nothing loose, switch still makes good internal contacts, no observed loss in signal strength. I know with MFJ it's always a roll of the dice, but this product has performed fine for me.

PD0AC Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2007 02:07 Send this review to a friend
Value for money  Time owned: more than 12 months
This switch still works well, even after a year of extensive use. It's not fancy in any way, but it does what it's supposed to do. I substracted one point because of the poor quality control - I had to tighten about every screw.

K1SMM Rating: 2/5 Sep 25, 2006 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Poorly designed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just acquired this switch for an estate and, while I like the layout with all lines coming in/out in the same direction, I find that all the SO-239 connectors are mounted with pop rivits. These are poorly installed resulting in most connectors being loose to the touch. Sorry MFJ, the smae current must flow through the ground side. To use this switch, I would first solder a copper line to the ground side of each connector. Buy something else.