Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond CR320A Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond CR320A
Diamond CR320A Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: The Diamond CR320A triband is a 2 meter, 220 MHz (1.25 meter) and 440 MHz mobile antenna. It is a 1/4 wave on 2 meters, a 1/2 wave on 220, and a 2 5/8 wave on 440 MHz providing 5.5 dB gain.
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/

You can write your own review of the Diamond CR320A.

N4UED Rating: 4/5 Nov 16, 2012 07:55 Send this review to a friend
BREAKS EASY   Time owned: more than 12 months
I loved this antenna . The antenna stayed vertical even at interstate highway speeds . The only problem is watch out for garage doors or TREE LIMBS . I drove into my mother in laws driveway , when I did a small tree branch broke the antenna in half . I called Diamond and I was told the part that I would need would be more than half the price of the antenna . The Comet 2m/220/440 version is flexable and goes under tree limbs and garage doors .The comet model number is SBB-224 . Good luck with this antenna , the diamond is built solid .

KF7BSI Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2012 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Good Deal  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use mine daily on the semi /w a modified vise grip mount and use it on many different trucks... i got it so i could use all the bands on the FTM-350R is capable of and on aprs..

have had no problems and has been almost 2yrs i think the only thing i need to do is put new coax on it.. works fine

KD7SYS Rating: 1/5 Jul 18, 2012 21:32 Send this review to a friend
Not worth it.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this antenna for its tri-band feature. It worked for one year then failed on the 440 band. I replaced it with a Comet; so far no issues.

K6DEA Rating: 1/5 Jun 22, 2012 19:36 Send this review to a friend
*** UPDATE ***  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Pure junk. Sleeve for foldover op wore out, receive sucks. Gain is okay but after compairing it in real world the tram1150 smokes it on VHF and my uhf phantom also smokes the diamond. Antenna was not worth the price paid!!!!! Buy Larsen,maxrad,antenex or tram stay far away from Diamond antennas.

WV1K Rating: 2/5 May 10, 2009 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Disintegrated  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna works very well but lasted a sum total of 8 weeks on my Jeep. Hit by a piece of insulating foam flying off the roof of a passing local nitwit, it disintegrated leaving the base and a sprung copper wire behind unlike my Tarheel or Diamond NR770.

So, it's not about Diamond in general !

As an aside, so much for your fellow man since the police said that's how they end up with fatalities. The loser didn't even stop despite pieces of his 4x8 foam boards trailing one by one in his mirror.

W8FLC Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2009 12:28 Send this review to a friend
I mean well built and durable!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first ham radio in 1995, which was a Kenwood TM-742a Tri-band. I also bought the 220 module to go with it. The Diamond CR320A antenna was recommended to me. I bought the antenna along with the Diamond hatchback mount and the trunk mount. I am writing this review today as I still have the same antenna and mounts but on different vehicles.
Needless to say they are still working as if they were new. I would transfer the antenna from one vehicle to the other, depending on which one I was going to drive. After 14 years it still does not look like I will need to replace any of them. Diamonds are a quality product as far as I am concerend. Would I recommed them to any one else? They are all I have recommeded for the last 14 years for VHF/UHF.

73, W8FLC (Fred)

KG6YGT Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2006 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was looking for the antenna that will do 144/220/430 and there are only 2 on the market right now, I started with Comet first then took this one for a test. After playing around with both antennas I decided to keep this one. Both antennas a 1/4 on 2 meters but Diamond gets out a little better otherwise performance is pretty much the same on 220 and 430. It has a fold over feature, but is very rigid, so watch out for low clearance signs.

KC9HKN Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2005 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had mine on truck for about a year now. No problems well made as usual for Diamond. I went with a tri band so that if I wanted to, I could hook up my Yaesu VX-6R and take advantage of the 1.25M part of the antenna. Perfect size, and have it mounted with the Diamond K400C on my hood.

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2004 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Well built, attractive, and the performance you'd expect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been running the Diamond CR320A for a month or so on my Honda Civic wagon. It's a small antenna, much smaller than the CR224A it replaced. I was willing to trade a little in performance in order to get the third band (440MHz) and the ability to run my triband rig (Icom IC-901A with the UX-39A 222MHz module) on one antenna. I know some hams don't mind if their car looks like a porcupine. I do :)

The antenna is black in color and is much less noticable because of it. It does fold over, and while it's small enough to get through some drive throughs I did need to fold it down to get into my garage. This is a huge plus over the comparable Comet antenna that I saw -- it didn't fold. It was well worth the extra $8 to get that feature.

Unlike many other Diamond antennas this one comes fully assembled. There is nothing to adjust or tighten down. Construction is very good indeed.

In moving to the CR320A from the CR224A I went from a 7/8 wave to a 1/4 wave on 2m. The result is what I expected. In town it makes no difference. Once I get to the fringe area of the repeaters I've lost some coverage area, but not a huge amount. I went from a 5/8 over 5/8 colinear on 222MHz down to a 1/2 wave. Here the reduction in coverage area was even less. I live on the fringe of the 224.84 repeater in Grifton, NC and was still able to get into a roundtable discussion on it going to and from the grocery store. Not bad! The antenna is a 5/8 over 5/8 colinear on 440MHz, and this is where the CR320A shines.

For the record: I am using the antenna with a Comet triplexer and a Diamond K400 hatchback mount.

Diamond antennas are never inexpensive, but considering the fit and finish of this product and the expected performance I think it's worth the money. I'm completely satisfied.