Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Lightning Bolt HF 5 Band 4 Element Quad Help

Reviews Summary for Lightning Bolt HF 5 Band 4 Element Quad
Lightning Bolt HF 5 Band 4 Element Quad Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $725.00
Description: NOTE: I AM MIKE DUDDY FORMALLY LIGHTNING BOLT ANTENNAS. WE ARE NO LONGER IN BUSINESS. WE ARE OUT OF BUSINESS AND WE DO NOT WISH TO SELL THE BUSINESS OR THE NAME. WE HAVE REMOVED OUR WEB PAGE. THANK YOU.

You can write your own review of the Lightning Bolt HF 5 Band 4 Element Quad.

N3ZR Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2002 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Correction  Time owned: more than 12 months
The review below should say 5-band, 4-element. No matter how many times I proofread something, I often miss the obvious! So, just to be clear -- it's 4 elements on 20-17-15-12-10 and 6 elements on 6 meters.

N3ZR Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2002 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: months
I have the 5-element 4-band HF quad with the 6 meter add-on kit. Very well-designed product, very good materials and construction, straightforward and well-documented assembly, excellent performance. Mike Duddy is a pleasure to deal with, very responsive, and provides first-rate assembly instructions -- unlike those that come with some antennas where you quickly realize the writer or editor never put the thing together himself! Definitely get the boom truss -- I think it's standard now, but when I ordered mine several years ago it was an add-on. I replaced the five supplied Plexiglas spacers for the reflector elements with Adiprene rods from the junkbox just because I like things a little extra beefy, though I'm sure the Plexiglas would hold up fine. You need a helper to measure and cut the wires, which are actually aluminum welding wire and very springy. Other than that, you can assemble the whole thing alone. We cut all the wires at once. I used my PC to make a label for each wire, and we wound the set of wires for each spider assembly around an empty 3-pound coffee can. That way I was able to thread the wires onto the spiders later without a helper.

W4GN Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2000 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Should Have Gone To Quads Years Ago  Time owned: unknown months
As a Dx'er and "casual" contest op during my 46 years as a ham, I've used yagi-type designs,phased arrays-wires,verticals and curtains--curtains are still my low-band favorites,but,on the HF bands, give me a quad over a yagi any day.Mike's 5-bander 4 elm. quad is made of heavy-duty stainless,aluminum and extra-stout fiberglass spreaders mounted on a stainless-trussed 3"x 24'boom,about 85lbs total weight.Basic stats are:F/B 25dBd(I've seen as high as 40 depending on condx.);F/S 50db;forward gain-about 10db.The comparison over my former German yagi and various other top-name beams can be stated in one word--quiet.Yes, it's by far easier to construct yagi-types, but the end results speak for themselves.Sturdy?I live in southern Alabama near the Gulf coast where we get hurricanes, tornadoes and straight-line thunderstorm winds as high as hurricane strength.One tornado destroyed my tower two years ago-had the quad mounted on a hazer-the quad survived unscathed!Coincidental?Perhaps.The toughest job in construction of the quad was working with the wire.A VK station told me to simply keep one end nailed to a tree and hook the other to the bumper of my car,drive as fast as I could until it slowed down the car-then measure.Touch-up time for getting the swr where I wanted it was about four days with an Autech analyzer.With a quad, everthing you do to the driven element has an effect on the relector and directors, so your job is four-fold usually.Satisfied?It is beyond my vocabulary to tell you how much fun DX'ing becomes when quiet replaces noise-like a vertical to a beverage.If you don't have the room for a four element array, the 2 element 5-bander is also a winner.Mike now has e-mail service.Lightning Bolt is located at RD 2,Rte.19,Volant,PA 16156(Pittsburg area)phone:(724)530-7396.The 4 elm.5-bander retails at about 725.00 and the 2 elm.5-bander at 289.00.This is one fine family operation with friendly service and a high-quality product.One last thought-why spend several hundred additional dollars on trapped or inferior antennas with unfriendly service when you can do it correctly this way?Feel free to e-mail me.