Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Tokyo Hy-Power HL-130Usx Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HL-130Usx
Tokyo Hy-Power HL-130Usx Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $498.00 USD
Description: 430 ( 440 )MHz band power amp for handy and mobile xcvers. GaAs FET RX pre-amp. Remote controller operation available. 5W, 10W, or 35W in, 120W out.
More info: http://www.thp.co.jp/thp%20hp%20Eng/amateur_eng/uhf430_2_eng.htm#250udx

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-130Usx.

WA8EBM Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2006 19:06 Send this review to a friend
High Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been looking for a medium power UHF amp for over a year. The market is very sparse. The loss of Motorola RF transistors has probably hurt the availability of parts for the old designs of the TE Systems and Mirage amps.
Tokyo Hy-Power only sells to US buyers via internet sales. Every email to the owner of THP, Nobuki, resulted in immediate responses.
To start, I mailed a US Postal International Money Order to THP in Japan. I sent it Tuesday and received an email that they had it Friday. I received an email that they were just finishing up a run on the amp and requested if I wanted it tuned for 430-440 or 440-450. The amp was then mailed to me the following Thursday. I was given the tracking number and tracked the 1 day trip from Tokyo to Chicago, 30 minutes in customs, then the 1 day trip to my QTH in Michigan. Had it in my hands on Saturday morning.
I have had the amp a week now. It has a very large heat sink and for a brick amp has a real class look about it. It comes with a N to PL259 short jumper, mobile bracket and small hardware and fuses. Input options are 5, 10 or 35 watts via a slide switch on the rear panel. There is auto shutdown protection if overdriven. It works!
There is a auxiliary plug on the back that can be switched for either relay contacts or 12v in to key the amp if you do not desire to use the COR function. There is also a 8 pin DIN plug for use with their external remote control. I did not buy the remote. From the schematic of the amp the switching is merely pumping 12 volts from one the pins to other pins that turn on transistors for Power, Preamp etc. switching. I am sure I will build up my own remote box.
The preamp gain is continuously adjustable on the front panel of the amp and also can act as an attenuator.
I do not have the test equipment to give a technical review of the distortion or true power output. Using my wattmeter, compared to the known output of other radios, shows well over 120 watts from the amp. The amp also has high SWR shutdown and reverse polarity shutdown protection. The bottom line is that the purchase was painless and the product, after just a short time of ownership, appears top of the line.