Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7800 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7800
ICOM IC-7800 Reviews: 98 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $10,000 US
Description: The ICOM 7800 HF/6M was first introduced at the Dayton Hamvention 2003. ICOM believes it is the most advanced amateur radio ever developed. It utilizes four separate 32-bit floating point TI DSP chips, has a 7-inch wide TFT display, built in RTTY/PSK31 receive and transmit using a USB Keyboard interface, plus compact flash technology. The radio features an IP3 of +40dBm and 110db dynamic range. It features two identical, fully independent, receiver circuits. There is even a separate preamp and mixer for the 6 meter band. More information, brochures, U.S. dealers, and pricing should be available soon.
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/7800/index.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7800.

XE1ZLG Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2014 22:57 Send this review to a friend
DX dream machine !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been amateur radio for 20 years and have had many Yaesu radios in my hands, last one was a FTdx 5000D. I usually work wire antennas, most of the time a longwire with 9:1 UNUN- 90 feet long , I live in Mexico city were there are at least 30 AM BCB stations at 9 + 60 dbs in any receiver I use. Only the IC 7800 can handle this kind of Front End overload, with FTdx 5000 most of the time I had S-8 band noise level in 40 meter band, with IC 7800 most of the time is S-4/5 both with Preamp 1 ON.

Super ergonomic desing, all digital DSP REALLY works, NB is superb and much better than Ftdx 5000, Roofing filter REALLY WORKS ( Ftdx 5000 roofing filters are toys ). Icom slogan that tells " If you can copy them you can work them " IS REAL( super low noise floor with ANTENNA CONNECTED , yes, may be Ftdx 5000 or Elecraft K3 may have better BDR or IMD DR but IP3 and IP2 intercept points are not in the same league...... these means they have higher noise floor with antenna connected ). I think only Hilberling PT 8000 could be in this IP3 and IP2 intercept points league. New IC 7850 with new DDS ( less phase noise ) and new 1.2 khz roofing filter will ge the radio in top of Sherwood list . If you really want a SUPER LOW NOISE RECEIVER FOR DX ......SPENT YOUR MONEY IN AN ICOM 7800 or 7700, NOT IN AN EXCELLENT CONTEST RADIOS LIKE FTDX 5000 or Elecraft K3. Hope this helps !!

This is a digital radio that has an analog feeling !!!

XE1ZLG Luis Gtz. Mexico city.

VK2CCJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2014 17:16 Send this review to a friend
Best Ergonomics & Great dual receivers  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Probably most of this has been said before no had it for about 4 Months. Not a professional review though I have had 30+ years in avionics) but someone who has and does own some top quality Ham and Commercial receivers and a couple of SDR's

Probably what struck me at first was the size and weight this has a switch mode power supply ? Weighs as much as my old TS950SDX did with an linear supply.

looks more like the test gear I used at work carrying names like Racal, Rohde & Schwarz etc than a Ham Rig. Controls just feel like quality

Best layout of controls Main and Sub just so intuitive, and a simple hold down to change filter settings ,

Solid metal front panel rare these days

Now I have owned this 7800 for some time (bought second hand instead of a TS990) I decided to give my thoughts, I have limited antennas currently a mobile Scorpion screwdriver on a tripod and a BabyLoop Magloop . also have other TX's fully loaded K3 and a JRC 245 and a Anan-10 SDR

I find myself using the big Icom more and more just nicer to use for long periods, Better noise blanker than my K3 for my local noise. The colour display gives me everything I need at once if needed. Why did Icom go away from the colour just so much easier to look at.?

The Spectrum and waterfall not as good as the P3 on the K3 but very usable now with the Ver3 firmware. I like the spectrum is configurable and use it with a VLF RX converter for the 2200 and 630M bands. Be nice if I could turn off the first digit so it reads 472khz rather than 4472 but can't have everything.

The receivers are great , handles high power locals no problems often use the RX only on Ant Port 4 on the second receiver on a separate receiving Pixel 1B loop also, love the duplicated controls all ready at hand , easy access to most functions as to be expected on a rig this big. Had a TS950SDX also very large and heavy.

Best and silky smooth VFO control love the acceleration so no need to change tuning rates to get from one end to the other quickly, or use the 1/4 turn for digital modes and CW .

I have two 50KW bcast stations nearby and no breakthrough on 160M at all .unlike a JRC245 I have,

As I don't run an amplifier the 200W is adequate our limit in VK is only 400W anyway. Don't tell the other VK's :)

For ease of use and performance the best Tranceiver I have owned and the receivers are right up there too.

If I have a couple of criticisms it is the display is a little dull in daylight and the lack of a IF output otherwise a more variable and adjustable noise blanker and NR system.

Best 73
Cliff VK2CCJ

G4RNI Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2013 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Stunning but you need to learn about it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had many a good rig (and some not so good) over the years. I'm NOT afraid to admit if I've bought a lemon but this is one superb radio.
I considered the FT-5000 range but they're just too plasticky and gimmicky for me. The TS-990 was a possible but the pretend analogue dial made me wonder if they'd just added gimmicks to up the price.
This one I got, 2nd hand, from a dealer, with a warranty, for 60% of the new price so not a bad deal.
Weighs a ton. Built like a proverbial brick ****house but above all FUNCTIONAL.

Superb TX and RX audio. Bomb proof receiver (I live a 1/4 mile from 4 x 2.5kW AM broadcast tx) which doesn't flinch in strong signal situations.

Filtering is the best ever and the noise blanker, well! My adjoining neighbour bought a new PLASMA TV for Christmas. S9+20dB buzzes everywhere and where my TS-2000, FT-847 and (ex) IC-775DSP NB's do remove some of the racket, the IC-7800 mk II NB completely eliminates it.

Expensive, yes but the difference between giving up or having HF.

Money I could have done with keeping but you're a long time dead.

F5MAG Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2013 12:54 Send this review to a friend
ic7800  Time owned: more than 12 months
beautiful tranceiver a better tranceiver that I have after using the other device range Yaesu TENtec sdr
very good very good very sensitive receiver no dynamic modulation on and after putting the 3.0 firmware there are many changes on the dsp and different menu I recommend

KB5BIP Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2013 15:49 Send this review to a friend
A true Flagship  Time owned: more than 12 months
First the build quality on this radio is unmatched by anyone. The receiver is as good as anything on the market even up to today's standards. Bells and whistles it has them all. Easy to use and learn. Audio on receive is warm and can easily be set to match your taste. I also have a new K3 and the 7800 easily holds it own and in some respects is better than the K3 receiver. A true flagship indeed. 10 grand yes they are and worth every penny once you use on. It don't get any better than the 7800. 3 years and has worked flawlessly.

PA9JO Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2013 07:14 Send this review to a friend
Happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well in 2008 I bought my first IC-7700, after 4 years I tryed the Flex radio 5000, great tranceiver but Flex must do more about the monitor if you like to use E-SSB. Well now a few days on my IC-7800 WOW what a receiver and warm sound from the speaker !!! I'am really happy with the new rig !!!
73 Jo .

KI0Z Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 09:31 Send this review to a friend
IC-7800 RCVE ANT  Time owned: more than 12 months

Subject: IC-7800 FYI FINAL..!

the IC-7800. If you need or want more ability to hear signals in the noise floor one needs to tell it what you want ! it's easy the AGC controls what you hear ! I adjusted the fast to .2... FOR CW . Now trying to hear a WEAK signal in the noise floor use FAST this hears farther into the noise floor than slow. next push on AGC VR adjust to near CCW the signal and noise will come up and you will see a 2 + S unit increase yes it is noisey BUT the signal is now 2+ S units stronger and copy is from none to Q4??? adjusting the AGC VR & NR for best copy with APF to WIDE. when finished push AGC VR to off you are back to fast agc... I use a DX eng RP-1A preamp you do not tune it, it is broadbanded and I put a Power switch on the power cord with a Green Led + resisror on it. the preamp is switched on or off with the power switch.(ant goes thru it when off) the xcvr does all the antenna switching when connected in the back of the radio YOU CONNECT IT TO THE BACK OF THE RADIO AND GO TO ANTENNA SETTING AND USE (ANT 1/R*)=1 XMIT & 4 RCVE ANT (TH11, etc.)I USE THE TH-11 FOR RCVE WITH THE RP1A PREAMP ONLY WHEN SWITCHED TO THE IC7800 rcve with 2 position Diawa switch..USE DIGI SEL ON 160 METERS FOR AN AMAZING REDUCTION IN NOISE ,
IT IS AN AMAZING COMBINATION.. .+50 SIGNALS GIVE NO PROBLEMS WITH IT HAS A BETTER FRONT END THAN THE RCVRS DO A GREAT PREAMP.(THANKS W8JI ) I DONT USE IT ALL THE TIME JUST WHEN I WANT MORE GAIN . This gives you 3 preamp combinations.... Note those that think they need a better radio just havent or dont know how it works ,OR HOW TO USE IT... few radios have AGC-VR .. Im taking this rig in the coffin with me and the TS-590's an Icom in Kenwood clothing .. they keep up together no matter what they encounter on 160 contests ect , etc.SSB/CW..!...when using AGC-VR it works a LOT better If you also use APF in WIDE and ONLY USE agc-vr in 250HZ or narrower or you will not like the selectivity ..!!! GL & DX.. i COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH THIS XCVR...!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST RAN THE CQ WW CW & PHONE ,ARRL CW . I also WORKED MIDWAY A FEW YEARS AGO ON 160,80,40,30 METERS on the TH-11-RCVE ant, WITH A +25 DB OVER NOISE ON THE DELTA LOOP... 73 &GL..David KI0Z..

W7UTE Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2013 15:52 Send this review to a friend
The BEST!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought mine 5 months ago used on QTH.com. Serial#0201759. I paid mid 6K and hoped for the best. Got it and it was in near perfect condition. My 7600 became my backup rig. I've had the 7700 and the 781 along with all the pro's and this rig by far is the BEST. I use it for SSB with my PW1. The receiver is excellant and the transmit with my PR-781 mic gets excellant audio reports. Every time I use it I marvel at the display, the quality looks and feel. This is a keeper. The noise reduction is almost as good as the 7700 and 7600 and is by far better than any other manufacture and I've owned a lot of radios. I'd like to try the TS 990S, but it won't stay in my shack.

VE2PXP Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2013 12:49 Send this review to a friend
One word: A real Rolls Royce   Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my IC-7800 2 years ago, was 4 years old at that time, s/n # 0201291, and I operate this marvellous machine almost everday on all HF bands. Just... Perfect ! Wow... Sound is fantastic, operate that machine it's a real plesure and the feeling is like you drive a Rolls Royce... Just fantastic! I had before FT-990, FT-1000D (my second best rig), FT-2000D (really did not like that one) and TS-2000. IC-7800 is definitively the dream machine for any amateur radio "passionned" operators.

PY2WG Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2012 03:20 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had all radios on the market since 1970, IC 7800 is the best of all.