Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | DX Engineering Baluns Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering Baluns
DX Engineering Baluns Reviews: 66 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $29.95-79.95
Description: High Power Transmission Line Transformers and Baluns with Patent Pending Maxi-Core™ Technology

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering Baluns.

WB5UAA Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2016 11:25 Send this review to a friend
It works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the DXE-BAL050H10AT, Balun, Maxi-Core, 1:1 Ratio, 1.8-30 MHz, 50 ohms, Top, Aluminum Enclosure. I use it to transform the coax out of my transceiver to my home made 600 ohm ladder line. The other side of the 55 feet of ladder line has a 300 foot dipole attached to it. Works as advertised. No noticeable loss on receive. Consistently good signal reports. No arcing or smoking or signs of stress when matching a near 0 ohm antenna impedance (~3.5 Mhz) and putting 1000 watts through it. It works! DX Engineering is world class in product and service.
W1EBM Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2016 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Feedline Current Choke did the job  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

The Customer Support people at DX Engineering helped me to understand the problem with my 80M Quarter-Wave Sloper antenna, and the effect of feedline radiation + back-path RF signals getting into the digital control circuits of the ICOM PW1 amp. DX Engineering recommended I install a Feedline Current Choke (Model DXE-FCC050-H05-A) at the Sloper's feedpoint on the tower. I bought & installed the Current Choke. It made all the difference ! The SWR is tunable to 1:1 across 80M (3500 KHz to 4000 KHz) using my PalStar AT2K Tuner. And most importantly, I've been able to raise my DX countries worked on 80M from 95 to 140 in 4 months. The DX Engineering guys in the Customer Support group know their stuff. And the Feedline Current Choke is a great product.

73 from Gary W1EBM
K2VCO Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2016 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a DXE-BAL200H10AT 4:1 balun to use instead of the built-in balun in a Palstar 1500-watt tuner. The Palstar balun was wound on a hefty core, but in my application (feeding a half-size dipole with open-wire line) it heated up rapidly. The DXE balun barely gets warm at the 1200-watt level.
I also built a high-power tuner using the 1:1 version, and it was just as satisfactory.
If you need a balun to interface an unbalanced tuner to balanced line, make sure you get the "AT" version that are designed for this very demanding service.
K9SQG Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2015 09:17 Send this review to a friend
They sell quality!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'll echo what others have said, "I'm too poor to buy cheap". I've had experiences with their 1:1 balun, 4:1 balun, and feedline chokes, not to mention various types of feedline, antenna supplies, and tools. Quality is great and prices are reasonable. Durability and reliability save you money in the long run and I'm completely satisfied with their products.

Customer service is A1. You can't go wrong here.
YL3DQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2015 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Best quality and service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Used many different baluns before but DXE products and service is simply outstanding. Baluns arrived here in Latvia within 40 hours, not bad :)
VE7WCP Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2015 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased this balun to use with their MBVE-1 vertical antenna. Exceptional quality in the product as well as with their customer service. You MAY pay a little more, but you know the 'old saying', "you only get what you pay for".

Good products, good company. Thank you DX Engineering!

73, Marc
N1RND Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2015 05:48 Send this review to a friend
dxe-bal050h10at  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
DX engineering baluns are built like a tank. Nothing but the highest quality.
I'm using this 1:1 current balun to fed dx's 40 meter dipole fed with 300 ohm balanced line.
My outboard tuner has no problem matching the antenna on all bands 10-40. I don't experience any rf in the shack or interfering with other household electronics.
Great products and great service from DX Engineering.
N5MNX Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2014 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Current Choke  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was being eat up with Common Mode current in the shack all over everything. Installed one of these current chokes in line with my antenna and it took it right out! Love the performance and I run full legal limit power thru it with no noticeable loss or issues.
KC1AKV Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2014 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Really well made  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am using the 1:1 DX Engineering 1:1 current balun on my 10 meter dipole.It took a hard fall so I opened it up to check the connections and this thing is really well put together. Solid clean connections (shiny solder) etc and like a previous poster suggested built like a tank. It is actually signed and dated. This is A++ quality.

W6IZT Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2013 05:24 Send this review to a friend
DXE-BAL450H10-B  Time owned: more than 12 months
This 9:1 balun is built like a tank. I use it on the output of a tuner to match 66 ft dipoles fed with 450 ohm ladder line on 40 and 30 meters. While not the advertised application for this product I find that it is superior to the high quality 4:1 balun that I was using previously, which was subject to core saturation during contest operation at the legal limit. Adjustment of the tuner is less critical, current balance is exceptional, and this balun does not exhibit any signs of heating up during long periods of transmission. Unfortunately DX Engineering now only sells these baluns in pairs, but from my experience it is well suited for use on the output of a tuner.

Update to my previous review, this balun is available for purchase as a single unit, also in pairs