Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | DX Engineering Baluns Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering Baluns
DX Engineering Baluns Reviews: 59 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $29.95-79.95
Description: High Power Transmission Line Transformers and Baluns with Patent Pending Maxi-Core™ Technology
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/search/product-line/dx-engineering-maxi-core-high-power-transmission-line-transformers-and-baluns

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering Baluns.

N5MNX Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2014 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Current Choke  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was being eat up with Common Mode current in the shack all over everything. Installed one of these current chokes in line with my antenna and it took it right out! Love the performance and I run full legal limit power thru it with no noticeable loss or issues.
JJ
N5MNX

KC1AKV Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2014 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Really well made  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am using the 1:1 DX Engineering 1:1 current balun on my 10 meter dipole.It took a hard fall so I opened it up to check the connections and this thing is really well put together. Solid clean connections (shiny solder) etc and like a previous poster suggested built like a tank. It is actually signed and dated. This is A++ quality.

bb
KC1AKV

W6IZT Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2013 05:24 Send this review to a friend
DXE-BAL450H10-B  Time owned: more than 12 months
This 9:1 balun is built like a tank. I use it on the output of a tuner to match 66 ft dipoles fed with 450 ohm ladder line on 40 and 30 meters. While not the advertised application for this product I find that it is superior to the high quality 4:1 balun that I was using previously, which was subject to core saturation during contest operation at the legal limit. Adjustment of the tuner is less critical, current balance is exceptional, and this balun does not exhibit any signs of heating up during long periods of transmission. Unfortunately DX Engineering now only sells these baluns in pairs, but from my experience it is well suited for use on the output of a tuner.

Update to my previous review, this balun is available for purchase as a single unit, also in pairs

WB4PJF Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2013 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had a fiberglass 43' vertical up for nearly a year. I've installed all the required components, including the ground plate, radials, and different baluns. All together, I was able to make great DX and local contacts just fine, but the bandwidth was very limited even with the manual tuner. After installing the DXE 43 Balun, the results are much better. I am well pleased with the quality, the instructions, and the physical installation. I would recommend this balun to anyone with the verticals, especially if running high power. Thanks DXE!

Mike, WB4PJF, OH

W9OO Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2013 00:17 Send this review to a friend
DXE-BAL050H10AT Superb!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Baluns and transmission lines oft are a complex subject, even for the experienced ham. I had a 135' long wire--with radials--fed by coax to a Palstar antenna tuner and --used on all bands from 160 to 6m. The antenna was noisy on receive and had some common mode current issues.

I was amazed that they offered a balun designed for auto tuners--even one that would deal with severe SWR and the resultant voltage/current issues.

Opening the balun I found nothing but quality.

The instructions were clear and installation easy. Not only did it cut down noise significantly, the antenna tuning went much smoother.

It's taken the full brunt of 1500 watts on digital and cw in contests.

OM7VV Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2013 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Just simply doing expected job  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not a big comment's writer, but beeing asked I have to be honest. With baluns from DXE you will be never dissapointed. Quality, ruggedness, reliability are exceptional. You can be sure, you will get what you pay for. I have some of them, my last one is 2:1 and again only five stars.
73 from OM7VV

WB9WHG Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2013 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Quality & Support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've lived in a couple rental places for the last two years, found it necessary to use an end-fed wire. I started by reading DX Engineering's article on Choosing the Correct Balun. I decided to use their BAL200-H10-AT 4:1 Balun fed by 6 feet of RG-213 from a MFJ-994BRT remote tuner out in the yard. It really works great, and their support is great, too!

AD5QP Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2013 10:23 Send this review to a friend
AD5QP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have 3 of these in service right now and will be using a bunch more... Hook them up and they work.. no hassle.. I've used lower cost and quality before, but when it comes down to it, these are definitely worth it...

VE2TH Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2013 15:45 Send this review to a friend
4:1 & 1:1 baluns  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased twice times baluns, because I want to rebuilt my wire antennas, now the spring is upon us.-

"HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT BALUN" it is very helpful to help amateurs to choose the right one. I love it.-

Now, these baluns are very well designed and made of high quality products, very sturdy, and most important, all the bolts nuts etc,
are stainless it is really built to last.

Another very useful thing I bought, is the BALUN MOUNTING BRACKETS KITS, what a wonderful idea, it is much more easier
to install and it does a real neat and solid job. especially a top my fold over mast.-

Just for fun I checked them on my RIG EXPERT model AA-54 antenna analyser,with the appropriate resistor as an antenna,
and those baluns are completly flat 1:1 on all bands, it is amazing.-It is the first time I see a Balun with such an uniformity all over the spectrum.

About the service, hats off, it is the best service I have got up to date.I t is fast, and most of all really well packed with precaution.-

Two times I ordered on sunday evening, and it arrived to my door on thursday. I live in Québec city Canada.

We will definitely buy again, for sure, as we are two sastified customers.

73/88,
Michel VE2TH
Georgette VE2RH
The OM/XYL team.

KE7FD Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2013 07:46 Send this review to a friend
The buck stops here  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After trying various balun kits which failed outright I bit the bullet and bought a DX Engineering DXE-BAL200H10AT to put at the feed point of my multiband loop. Sure it cost more than the el chepo kits but there are just some things that work better than others. The before and after was astonishing: Before not being able to tune the loop safely enough to transmit (solid state radio) and then after holding rag chews. If you're reading this and saying, "But the DXE balun costs too much!", ask yourself if you like spending all your spare time (and spare money) trying to get on the air or actually operating? I'd put my building skills above average with an eye for detail with the end in mind as I go. Most of the DIY kits are fine and I own a few of these but I found that over time coax deteriorates, and balun components fail. When you're done messing around save a few more dollars (walk past the beer aisle once in a while) and buy the right balun and coax for the job, then get back on the air. Get a DX Engineering balun (and new coax while you're at it).