Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | DX Engineering Baluns Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering Baluns
DX Engineering Baluns Reviews: 60 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $29.95-79.95
Description: High Power Transmission Line Transformers and Baluns with Patent Pending Maxi-Core™ Technology
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/search/product-line/dx-engineering-maxi-core-high-power-transmission-line-transformers-and-baluns

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering Baluns.

KE7FD Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2013 07:46 Send this review to a friend
The buck stops here  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After trying various balun kits which failed outright I bit the bullet and bought a DX Engineering DXE-BAL200H10AT to put at the feed point of my multiband loop. Sure it cost more than the el chepo kits but there are just some things that work better than others. The before and after was astonishing: Before not being able to tune the loop safely enough to transmit (solid state radio) and then after holding rag chews. If you're reading this and saying, "But the DXE balun costs too much!", ask yourself if you like spending all your spare time (and spare money) trying to get on the air or actually operating? I'd put my building skills above average with an eye for detail with the end in mind as I go. Most of the DIY kits are fine and I own a few of these but I found that over time coax deteriorates, and balun components fail. When you're done messing around save a few more dollars (walk past the beer aisle once in a while) and buy the right balun and coax for the job, then get back on the air. Get a DX Engineering balun (and new coax while you're at it).

W1FUU Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2013 09:07 Send this review to a friend
This is a quality product that works well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a DXE-BAL050H10AT 1:1 balun on the advice received by Dx Engineering. When I received the balun, I opened it and inspected it. It was truly well made to commercial specs. I installed it on my 126' 80/20 meter fan dipole with a 32' element for 20 meters and fed it with about 100' of RG 213 coax. With my tuner, I can work all bands. I have been receiving very good signal reports by most stations that I work. I would recomend this balun to anyone that uses a tuner and dipole combination. Also it is a good choice if you run any amount of high power because this balun can take it.

K1BZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2013 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have nearly 1 of each ratio & use them for experementing from QRP to QRO. Never a problem. Commercial quality from my observations. /DL

AD5QP Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2012 13:39 Send this review to a friend
High quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These are very well designed and high quality products. Have 2 on the air now... no problem.. Won't be using any other when I put up the antennas I have planned...

W8CAR Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2012 07:52 Send this review to a friend
excellent product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this on the web on Sunday and it arrived on Tuesday ( I live in Ohio home of DX Engineering) Great service. I got the 4 to 1 balun to use on a beam. In a bench test the SWR with a 200 ohm load was flat from 1.8Mhz till past 70Mhz with zero reactance ( I stopped testing at 70MHZ). The antenna is back up and the balun works great. A peak inside the box shows heavy duty, quality components assembled correctly.
Very happy with this product.
Dan W8CAR

NF4A Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2012 11:33 Send this review to a friend
excellent service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Order was received on time and as promised....installed immediately so I could be in the WPX RTTY contest.....burned up a cheaper balun trying to load my 40m on 30m to work a rare dx station......don't think this one will burn up ;)

VE3UPZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2011 10:48 Send this review to a friend
DXE 1:1 10 k Balun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ive been an amature since 1992 and have had alot of Baluns from everything to do with long wires and beams . when i decided to put a 20 meter monobander here i was looking at the brandX baluns from the antenna manufacturer, and even though they suggested its power handling at 4 kw i was sceptical as ive burned alot of such rated baluns out before .. so at the suggestion of the dx engineering associate i spoke to on the phone at the time of my order i picked the DXE1:1 10 kw balun .. upon arrival i was curious and opened it to have a look at its construction .. this thing is very well built and will possibly handle even more than its rating .. ive thrown almost 2500 watts at it through the dummy load and it still keeps working the size realy says it all and although i was concerned about the large case being inside the gamma rods on my beam when i assembled the antenna, its functioning perfect . if your looking to use a beam with high power or dipoles for that matter, this product is up to the task .. please unclude the mounting kit though guys .. the extra 25 bucks wasnt worth the cost of a piece of aluminum and two stainless steel hose clamps .but they do make a mounting kit to fit just about everything .. in summary a good high powered balun where others i have tried failed miserably .. thanks alot

VE3-UPZ Randy

WA2ILB Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2011 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
About two months ago, I decided to get back on HF after a few years of in-activity on the HF bands.

I have been an amateur for over 52 years. I was an electronics engineer for AT&T Bell Labs and knew Gerry, W2FMI, who wrote the definitive books on baluns.

I put up an end-fed Zepp for 40 meters (66 feet) and used the DX Engineering 1:1 10 kW choke balun (bigger is better) to feed the 33 feet of 600 Ohm open wire feed line. From the balun into the shack was about 35 feet of LMR-400 coax to the tuner.

It works great on 40 and 15. To my surprise it is a very credible antenna for 75 meters. It is probably acting as an inverted L on 75. I am able to maintain my schedules throughout the Northeast on 75 in the mornings.

You would have a very hard time finding a better balun either in construction or performance.

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2011 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Good stuff  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used a DX-E 4:1 current balun with my DX-E 43-foot multiband monopole antenna with good results. I now use their 4:1 Un-Un designed for this same type of antenna with equally good results. I feel they are both well made and are good value for the money. They seem to work well and have low insertion loss (as measured by my Elmer using some rather sophisticated equipment he owns...) and appear to work as advertised (according to both my MFJ and RigExpert antenna analyzers.)

---- James - K8JHR ----

K2JX Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2011 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I'm using a 66' end fed wire for my secondary antenna in addition to a 43 foot vertical by DXE.
After fooling around with different matching methods and home brew current baluns I decided to order a Balun from DXE. The one I ordered is made for an end fed wire used with a tuner in the shack. I mounted the balun on 2x4 pressure treated post in concrete, drove an 8' copper ground rod close to the post. I feed the input to the the Balun with 15' of RG-213U and ground one side of the balun to the ground rod with 1" braid terminated with crimped connectors on each end.

So, how does it work, well perfectly, the Balun handles 5KW CONT, 10KW ICAS. No way can my 700 watt amp swamp this Balun. The construction is excellent the materials used first rate. I can easily tune the wire on all bands without RFI in the shack. Tune up is quick and easy with very small adjustment excursions of the tuner. Big difference in receive, with one side of the balun grounded, static is drained off before it gets into the receiver. This product performs exactly as advertised, is very well made and worth every penny of it's $129 cost.