Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Yaesu ATAS-25 Portable Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu ATAS-25 Portable Antenna
Yaesu ATAS-25 Portable Antenna Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $299.95
Description: The ATAS-25 is a manually-tuned portable antenna system ideal for the FT-817, FT-897, and FT-857 transceivers. Capable of operating on the Amateur bands between 7 MHz and 450 MHz, the ATAS-25 is designed for mounting on a standard 1/4" camera tripod stud (tripod not supplied), and includes an innovative fine-tuning system allowing precise SWR adjustment in the field.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/4044.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu ATAS-25 Portable Antenna.

VE3JAQ Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2004 21:48 Send this review to a friend
Nice little antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
The ATAS-25 antenna matches my FT857D perfectly. I was able to work many DX stations including FO5, ZK1, JA's ZL's... Easy to setup and very portable. My whole antenna fits in a small tripod bag and mouts onto a small tripod about 4 inches from the ground. Although initially the antenna is cumbersome I managed to find flat swr readings on all the bands except 6M ( which I haven't tried yet). I marked each band with white adhesive tape so it makes tunning the antenna a breeze. Don't expect miracles but if portability and reasonable performance is what your looking for this antenna has it.

WK0C Rating: 2/5 Sep 20, 2004 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Not so hot  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Tuning drifts dranatically when the wind blows. Top aluminum collet that screws into top of coil section strips out easily...be careful when tightening. Tuning changes as you move the sliding section with your hand...takes a while of trial and error to get it dialed in.

More hassle than it's worth for the money you're spending on it. Expect more for $229

KE3VG Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2004 00:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna during the trip to Orlando, Florida from the AES and tried with 5 to 100 watts using FT-817 and FT- 857 with no luck. I was on vaction for 2 weeks and had not contact a single station. XYL already concluded that it was $229 in drain. At the last day of the vacation I found out that the motel building was powered by 2 amp supply through steel rebar ( Concrete Building) to preotec it from corosion. well that explain why I was not able to make a single contact.

Any way I cam home and installed the antenna on deck without much hope . With my surprise within an hour I was able to contect several Dx station in South America, Europe, Europian Russia and many more west coast station. I was using Yeasu FT- 897 ( 5 to 20 watts).

The antenna is very light weight, easy to transport, Only 2 feed in length, when deassembled. Very easy to tune with less than 1.1.2 SWR. Very good construction quality.

I can not wait to try out outdoor and will provide feed back soon.

I would recommand this antenna to anybody.