Reviews Categories | DC Power Supply Distribution Panels | MFJ 1128 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1128
MFJ 1128 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: 40 Amp Multiple DC Power Outlet Strip w/ 12 PowerPole Connectors
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1128

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1128.

N2CBO Rating: 0/5 Jul 15, 2014 15:17 Send this review to a friend
When will I learn???  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When will I learn NOT to buy more Mighty Fine JUNK??? I liked the fact that it had a volt meter built in, plus I read one good review of this and thought I would give them one last chance. Well, I bought it new in box from a reputable store (HRO), I hooked it up and low and behold a DEAD SHORT on the DC input. It pegged the current meter on my 65 amp supply for a brief moment, then the PS fuse vaporized. I shook the unit (should have done this first since it was made by the junkmasters, MFJ) and there was a rattle . I opened up the unit and there was a superfluous screw rattling around inside. I don't know where it fell out of since it looked like all the screws were where they were supposed to be (albeit some were loose... Yep it's MFJ) so i guess the assembler decided to give me a spare...
Only problem, it lodged itself between the positive and negative bus BEFORE the fuse!!!

W6LBV Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2012 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Major Connections  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have successfully used the MFJ-1128 in my home station for about ten years, and it has now been taken out of service for inspection and cleaning as part of a complete station rebuild.

My judgment that the quality of the hardware is sufficient for the intended mission is indicated by its length of service in my station. Nevertheless this product is definitely not “space qualified,” at the level of quality necessary to go the moon, but the product’s price reflects this limitation.

I did experience a late-developing problem with the product, and this caused some minor grief. Many of my HF transceivers are fed from high-current, unswitched ports on the 1128, and in the last year one transceiver suddenly developed an intermittence problem. The radio would receive properly, but would switch off almost instantly under transmit current load. Careful circuit tracing and substitution determined that the problem was specific just to one output port on the 1128, and not to the transceiver and its power wiring. Note that this problem took years to develop and it did not also occur in the other high-current and all the low-current, switched ports.

Given the number of sliding, compression-loaded metal-to-metal electrical contacts that are used in the 1128, including in both the PowerPole connectors and the auto fuses, there is a significant chance for corrosion/oxidation of the exposed metal surfaces to occur over time. Now that my 1128 has been taken apart I can see some traces of corrosion on some of the contact surfaces, and I will clean and renew all the contacts before it goes back into service. Users of similar power distribution equipment might consider cleaning and renewing contacts after a few years of continuous service.

No particular comments need be made about the use of Anderson PowerPoles in this d.c. distribution block other than to note an observation that............those users who know how to make the connectors properly and accurately generally do not complain about PowerPoles, while other users who cannot or will not make proper connectors often do vociferate about the “worthlessness” of the product.

WA4SCA Rating: 4/5 Sep 4, 2010 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Good, mostly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up one in August, 2010, at the Huntsville Hamfest. I checked it over, and was pleased at the quality of the construction. Good solder connections, no loose parts, fuse and Powerpoles well fitted, etc. Based on past reviews, it looks like MFJ has cleaned up construction. However, it IS an MFJ. As another review noticed the calibration of the DC voltmeter was way off. The pot was at one end, so it was probably just forgotten. A quick tweak with a screwdrives, and it now read accurately.

KH6OZ Rating: 3/5 Apr 4, 2009 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Problems noted  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hooked the unit up to my batteries from my solar panel and and rig says 13.4V and the MFJ-1128 says somewhere in the area of 10 volts. So I would say the meter is not calibrated. The first Anderson connecter does not seem to connect properly. It powers the Rig but very easily comes disconnected. The other connectors I've tried so far do not.

W4MLO Rating: 0/5 Aug 27, 2008 19:42 Send this review to a friend
ABSOLUTE MFJ UNK!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been dumped before but this takes the cake. I purchased this product new at a hamfest in Dalton Ga. I did not get around to unboxing it for a few months but when I did, boy was I surprised.

Here are my issues:
1. There are no mounting holes in the strip.
2. The fuses are near impossible to replace.
3. The crimp on connectors are crap, After buying MFJ's $30 crimper they do not fit the plastic sleves properly, they are loose even when soldered.
4. They are not capable of conducting any appreciable current without breaking contact at the least bump or touch of the wires.

Save your money!

73 de milo W4MLO

K4PDQ Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2008 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Mighty Fine Junction Box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my MFJ-1128 today and as with most items from MFJ, I decided to check out the QC. This box looked very good with solid construction inside and out. The only thing I had to do was adjust (calibrate) the DC volt meter (reason I gave it a 4 instead of 5). With 13.8 volts in, it was reading 10 volts. The adjustment was easy with a single pot inside the case. The Anderson Power Poles are a great improvement over binding posts. If you are looking for a good DC power outlet strip, I recommend this one.

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2004 14:36 Send this review to a friend
MFJ got it right with this one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am not a big fan of MFJ products. The 1128 is an excellent exception and proof that MFJ can get it right. The 1128 is basically a knock-off of the West Mountain Radio RigRunner 4012 with a few important improvements. It is a DC power strip with 12 Anderson Power Pole connections. A very heavy cable ending in a round terminal lug is used to attach the strip to your power supply. Maximum total current is 40 amps. A voltmeter is included, something lacking on the RigRunner. You also get nine switched and three unswitched outlets.

I haev come to expect poor workmanship from MFJ. They seem to have learned from their experience. This power strip is well made and well finished. No worries about quality with this one.

Unlike the RigRunner, MFJ provides clear instructions on everything, including how to put together the PowerPoles. Guess what? It's not that hard. One thing for certain: don't crimp the terminals. MFJ makes it clear that soldering is mandatory for wire smaller than 12 ga., and honestly, you really need to solder all of them. The terminals have to go into the plastic part and snap into place, They only do so if inserted just right. Change the shape of the terminals and "just right" becomes nearly impossible. If you do it right the connection is snug.

What an improvement over binding posts! I can see why Anderson Power Poles are now the ARES/ARRL standard. Plugging in a radio is no harder than plugging a toaster into a wall socket, and unplugging and changing things around is equally easy.

MFJ saw the complaints about the West Mountain product and made sure they solved them. This is the first MFJ product I can truly recommend highly.