Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Tokyo Hy-Power HT-7 Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HT-7
Tokyo Hy-Power HT-7 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 200mW crystal controlled 70cm FM handheld
More info: http://www.mizuhoradio.com/personal/k7vo/thp

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HT-7.

KA8BYU Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2011 19:55 Send this review to a friend
HT-7 great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
this was an excellent radio low power but great tight reciever agree with other review about dayton and this ht. audio got good reports on tx as well wish i still had it
Roy KA8BYU

K7VO Rating: 4/5 Feb 16, 2004 12:33 Send this review to a friend
The only HT that I'll use at Dayton -- solid front end  Time owned: more than 12 months
Why in the world would anyone bother with or review a 200mW, 3 channel, crystal controlled 440MHz HT in this day and age? Well... it's like this: I went to Dayton a few years ago and met a good friend there. When we went in different directions we wanted to keep in touch on 70cm simplex. He had an Icom IC-T81A quad bander and could here nothing but intermod and interference. I had a Tokyo Hy-Power Micro 7 (model HT-7) and heard only the QSOs on our frequency of choice and barely a peep of intermod. The old rockbound rig is the only HT I've found so far that can stand up to the level of RF at Dayton.

The Micro 7 was an anachronism even when it was sold in the early to mid '80s. Synthesized HTs were already widely available. The Micro 7 was inexpensive, relatively small, and had the usual outstanding Tokyo Hy-Power quality construction.

I have to wonder how many HT-7s were sold. You rarely see them on the used market. The good news is that if you do hunt around you can find them. I bought an additional pair in nice shape for $27 on eBay maybe a year ago. For that price they are well worth investing in for your hamfest needs, particularly Dayton. In my area the 200mW is adequate to bring up a couple of local repeaters as well if I want to spend some money on crystals. I may just do that even though a pair of rocks will cost me more than the radio did. 446.000 is standard in HT-7s sold in the U.S. so you will definitely have the simplex calling frequency if you pick up one of these.

I debated giving this radio a 4 or a 5. It's big for a 200mW HT and it's rockbound. Still: for some special purposes in high RF environments (as in Dayton this year) the HT-7 is probably the best thing I've found.