Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-761 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-761
ICOM IC-761 Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $650 - 725 (as of 3/2002)
Description: Top Notch HF Transceiver 10-160 meter, w/ gen'l coverage rec.
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic761/ic761.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-761.

KF7RNL Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2012 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned this radio for 6 months now and feel I am able to offer a review now. I purchased this radio from A SKs family a little over 6 months ago. Wanting the radio, I paid top dollar for it, even though I was unable to test it to see if it came on. This is a classic full size radio, or should I say, giant! I love the full size of it, great knob layout and ergonomic. It also has NO menus, so every function is either a knob, or a button. When I got it home, I found one problem with it and it was fixed in 5 minutes, since there was a "calibrator" push button! It was off by .2 khz! Easy fix!

There are no stations that I can not talk to, if I can hear them and the receive sensitivity is OUTSTANDING! There are times, when I hear foreign DX calling CQ and I am the only US station returning! That is a good feeling knowing that I have my antenna and radio in tune with each other and able to engage in some great DX operations. The power out is rated at 100 Watts, but I know I from testing, it produces a fair amount over 100 watts!

The one I purchased still has the built in power supply, but someone converted the radio to the 12V, 6 prong Icom plug in the back of the radio! That is fine with me, since it gets warm without it, so it must be a scorcher with the built in 12 power supply. It also makes it easier if I want to do field operations with it and batteries. This one, had all the filters installed in it, so I can not say how well it worked before all filters were installed. I only know that it work's fantastic now in its current configuration. I also recently discovered it has the remote jack and I can read and write from the VFO using HRD and N1MM for hunting DX from the cluster!

All in all a great fun and fantastic radio! None of the trills of band scopes or other multitude of complex menus and displays. This radio, is about radio and finding and working signals!

This radio marks my 8th radio in the last year an half, I have owned Yaesu, Kenwood and Icoms radios.

Matthew Kent
KF7RNL

HI8CJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2012 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding rig!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radion is built like a tank. Excellent for SSB operation. Unsurpassed filter cascade. I'll stay with mine forever!

KI5SO Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2012 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Blast from the past!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was sold in an estate sale. When it arrived the lights flickered and there was no sound. First transmit I was told I was off frequency. Well, I opened it up and blew it out good, plugged the speaker back in on inside and cleaned the fan. I did a reset of the rig and the flickering problem went away. I replaced the signal meter light with a red LED, really pretty. Yes, the case has scratches but the old radio has won my affection. Not bad looking now that it's cleaned up. Great receiver and works nice with my Icom sp-20 speaker. I'm also using an Icom sm-20 mic. The audio reports are wonderful and breaking up pileups with 100 watts! It has a real compression on it as I am told it sounds like kicking on an amplifier when it's engaged. I bought this to resale, make a few bucks, but it hear better than my 756proIII...I think I will hang onto it for awhile. It won't leave my desk for less than $700. Now I want to try a 765!

M1JJK Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2010 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have run a IC-761 for over two year and it is an excellent rig. I am not going to bang on about how great it is (or not) as other people have covered that. But I will tell you about a few minor problems I have had with it.

1. There is a small relay that bypasses the 20db attenuator, the contacts get dirty and causes the attenuator to come on when you don't want it (usually when you've got a bit of good DX).
2. There is a DC to DC converter that's mounted on the display PCB this suffers from dry joints. The dry joints are on the DC to DC convert PCB not the display PCB. Symptom's are flickering display.
3. Some times the operating system crashes, this is normal (there is a lot of RF around!) just turn off and on. If this happens a lot and the display flickers its probably the DC to DC converter as in item 2 above.
4. The BAD news (not so minor). The trimmer caps in the PL unit may have aged and changed values. This causes a multitude of problems, which I won't list here. They have to be changed. There is an Icom Technical Bulletin on this subject which can be downloaded from their web site. You will also need the service manual, as a partial realignment will be required after these trimmers are replaced.

May I correct what K0ZL (review 3rd May 2008) said about the memory battery. The operating system is not in volatile memory, you can change the battery and all that you will lose is whats stored in the 32 memory channels. In fact there is no Piexx upgrade for this rig.

For its age that's not bad, so if you can get your hands on a worker at a good price snap it up. But do try and find out if the trimmers have been replaced. PS I only gave it 4 because I never give top marks!

AD5VJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2010 18:44 Send this review to a friend
REALLY GREAT RADIO  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the best radio for selectivity es cw work that I have ever heard or owned.

The SSB audio on this radio is suburb as well (very mellow and clear) not raspy, not muffled with DSP garbage.

When in CW mode the CW jumps right out at you, very clear and very easy to copy at some top speeds (45WPM+) I mention this because a radio has to reproduce the rx signal well in order to properly copy at these speeds.

I really like this radio in every respect, but would like to try a 765 one day so will probably trade it off (hope I am not sorry when I do :0)

73 es gud DX,
Bob AD5VJ

MM3XXW Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2009 07:56 Send this review to a friend
Superb radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio is such a pleasure to use, simple & intuitive.
No scrolling through menus here rather just easy effective controls right in front of you.

An exceptional receiver, great audio reports using the standard HM-12 mic, fan is silent as a whisper and the atu takes no time at all to tune both my dipole and vertical.
Adjusting the output audio requires removal of the base but it's a simple job and takes no time at all.

Bottom line ..... for it's age it's a definite winner!

DL7ISA Rating: 4/5 Apr 5, 2009 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The TX Audio of the IC-761 has not the STRENGTH like the IC-765. My Icom IC-765 sounded by far very best over all the Transceivers I had until now. Turning up the Mic Gain wit the Intend to make the Audio stronger, makes the 761 sound fizzling (bad) while the IC-765 sounds STRONGer when turning up the Mic Gain the same Level, I figured that out with the original Icom Handmics. Its difficult to describe the Sounding with Words: The 765 has more Depth (not meaning Bass), more Dynamic (PUNCHED), more Width, more... The IC-761 doesnt sound bad but can NOT produce the Audio Quality of the IC-765 at all.

The Relai is clicking to loud for my Opinion, its Rest taking to hear all the CLICK-CLICK-CLICK while full BK-in in CW !
The Notch Filter is fine, its soo narrow I could blank out some undesired CW Signal while I had a QSO in CW (and extra CW Filter was already build in and switched on).
What I found strange was when I switched the Radio off and on again, the last Frequency I was on, got deleted and the Radio set to another Frequency, maybee that was caused by a defect Memory Chip or an empty Memory back up Battery. Beside that everything worked as it should, no problem nor any failure whatsoever.

The NB & NB Wide Filters work, the Noise becomes reduced about 3 or 4 S Points although with some Sort QRM/QRN the NB Filters are overstrained and produce a crackling Noise. Turning the Knob for the NB Filters to far, the Noise becomes reduced even more but the desired Signal sounds muffled. A usefull NB-Level can be found quickly and then the NB is indeed helpfull to reduce QRM significantly. The Icom IC-756 Pro 3 has a DSP NR (Noise Reduction) but when I heard the Pro 3 receiving, its DSP NR made the Audio muffled, blurry or sounding like fading in and out (slowly). Beside all that the 761 is build like a Tank, heavy Quality. The Icom IC-7700 (maybee even the IC-7600) is better for those who are willing to spend about 7 times more than for a used IC-761 in good Condition, else the 761 is better and the Icom IC-765 best of them.

73 to all Friends

VE3FST Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2009 05:45 Send this review to a friend
One great performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have gone through many different rigs and this one stands out of the bunch . Its a larger size rig with easy to use knobs and buttons with plenty of room . You don't have all the fancy menues to confuse you either . Audio reports are always good and strong , receive is very clean . I do like the monitor feature , so you can hear your own audio as others hear it . I'm selling mine to move into a TS50 to run mobile for awhile . If you can find a clean one , go for it !

AB4VV Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2008 23:33 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE ON K0ZL  Time owned: more than 12 months
K0ZL states that the Icom 761 has volatile ram. This is wrong. If the battery in the 761 goes bad all that you have lost is the memory channels. The 761 still works. ITS THE ICOM 751 series that were the last of the ICOMS to have volatile Ram....

THE 761 is one of the best radios I have ever had. I love it !

WD0EDO Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2008 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Never To Old  Time owned: more than 12 months
This transceiver has proven its self for many years with reliability and quality to match along with a fit and finish since its time of purchase in the late 80's.It still looks as good and performs as well now as it did then.This is still one of Icoms outstanding HF transceivers that you would be very happy to own.