Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-761 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-761
ICOM IC-761 Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $650 - 725 (as of 3/2002)
Description: Top Notch HF Transceiver 10-160 meter, w/ gen'l coverage rec.
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/icom/ic761/ic761.htm

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-761.

WD0EDO Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2008 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Never To Old  Time owned: more than 12 months
This transceiver has proven its self for many years with reliability and quality to match along with a fit and finish since its time of purchase in the late 80's.It still looks as good and performs as well now as it did then.This is still one of Icoms outstanding HF transceivers that you would be very happy to own.

K8DGL Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2008 05:06 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had many many radios over the years and have a couple brand new ones now. But it seems I almost always go to the 761 when I want to get on the air. Simple to operate, great receiver and great audio reports.
Another bonus, you can still work on it.
Definitly a Keeper.

KD5ITM Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2008 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Good work horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the 761 as my first HF radio back in 2000. Grate work horse. Its the only HF rig in my shack so it gets used almost every day. Iv been told that it has grate audio on transmit using the stock hand mic. I like how all the buttions and knobs are right there at the toutch of a hand. No menues to go through slowing you up when your working a contest or trying to get that DX. I use a G5RV inverted v up at 50 feet and the radio pushes my signal out there getting through to the DX. I havent had any problems with the rig. The tuner works good. The fan doesnt make too much noise. The NB filter works good on cutting out line noise. I guess the only thing that I wish was better is the stock SSB filter... I wish it was just a bit mor narrow. All in all its a grate rig.

K0ZL Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2008 04:44 Send this review to a friend
Tech's view  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 761 is a fine and handsome-looking rig. Some things to be aware of:

The two display driver chips, uPD549, are no longer available. I have only seen one fail however. It left a 751A dark; again, very rare failure.

The OS is in volatile ram. If the memory battery is older than about 5 years, you will need to get it changed by someone that knows how to do it without loosing the OS, or upgrade to the Piexx memory module for the 761. It's not just a "solder in" job.

2SC2904 Finals and 2SC3133 drivers are still available. These rarely fail however.

As mentioned in several reviews, the VCO trimmer caps do need to be changed to the ceramic trimmers, which are available from Digikey and Icom. It is not a trivial task, requiring unsoldering of the top of the VCO shield, using a high-wattage iron and an assitant to hold the board down after you get it out of the rig. Alignment is straighforward.

Last but not least, the 761 uses an internal switching power supply which is no longer available. If it fails, you have to mod the back of the rig a little to allow use of external 12v supply, using the commonly-available Ken-Ic-Yaes power cable. Not a big deal, but something to consider. All switchers fail eventually. Going to external PS does lighten the rig a bit. Using a good AC line filter (>$50.00 value at least) will help the PS survive line surges and spikes.

73, K0ZL

KD7VOK Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2008 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have now owned my ic-761 about 6 months and love the recieve.TX audio is outstanding...Heil GM-5 is a great match. Mine has had recent trmmer caps replaced which is a common problem. My only dislike so far is no band stacking registry. If you can find one grab it you won't regret it.

KK8V Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2008 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio with a great receiver.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When the 761 hit the market, the price was above what I could afford at that time. I promised myself that one day, I would have one. Well, after being off the air for 6 years, about 1 1/2 years ago, I decided to get back on, and at the same time, decided to sell the newer radio that I had and go backwards. I started to keep my eye out for the 761. I found one in mint condition without a mark on it, at a very reasonable price. It came with a mint SM8 mic, the original box, and manual, as did the radio. I enjoyed it so much, I kept my eye out for a second one. It wasn't long, I had a second one. The receive, in my opinion, is as good as any previous radio that I have had. It is large as a radio should be, in my opinion, and extremely simple to operate. I receive excellent audio reports on transmit, and like I said, I couldn't ask for a better receiver. Also, no menus or tubes to worry about. What else could you ask for?

DG3KCW Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2008 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Great performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the greatest radio I have ever owned, got it on e-bay recently. I did have lots of radios before(IC 718, IC 706 MKIIG, FT 990, FT 920, FT 857D, FT 897D, TS 2000, TS 570 D(G), TS 850 S/AT). Honestly this is simply the best, even though I would give some of the others also a 5. It sounds so natural and clear, much better than all the DSP torsion radios, useless...The big knobs and switches, the clear arrangement of the panel, the easy to read and soft analogue meter, the bright display, the built-in power supply, the perfect notch, the overperforming AT, the lacking menue....

Just an extremely smooth to operate rig. It is definitely a keeper, won't give it away! Should you have the opportunity to grab one, don't think twice!

I cannot but strongly recommend this radio to any serious ham.

Regards
Rainer

AB4VV Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2008 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Old does not mean out of date in this radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After having the VCO Trimmers fixed, common problem with the 761, this radio is what I have been missing in receive since I last had an analog radio. I have an Icom 756 Pro3 and after a/b comparasion the 761 wins hand down in best receive. I have had it with digital radios. They are mushy sounding and have lost the crystal filter clearness of radios like the 761. Put a Heil GM 5 on this radio and you will get great audio reports. Everything about radio is set up for the me. I suppose that some will like the mushy digy widgy sound of the newer rigs but for me the 761 and the new/old 751a that I just acquired is what real radios should sound and act like.

YV6BXN Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2008 12:27 Send this review to a friend
NICE RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I JUST GOT MY 761 FROM A FROM A FRIEND YV5JF ALMOST 3 MONTHS AGO BEFORE HE UPGRADE THE STATION WITH FT-2000 I WOULD SAY YOUR LOST IS MY GAIN BECAUSE I AM SURPRISE WITH THE RECEPCION QUALITY VERY NICE FOR Dx WORK EXCELLENT SELECTIVITY I GOT NICE AUDIO REPORT ON EVERY CONTACT DESPITE I USE A MODIFICATE COMPUTER MIC WITH THIS RADIO AND THE REPORT ARE BETTER WITH THIS MIC THAN THE SM-8,IN FACT IS A SUPER PREFORMER I WOULD NEVER SELL IT BECAUSE I HAVE THE BEST RADIO

WD2I Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2007 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellant Receive Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just replaced my Yaesu FT-1000MP with this new old Icom 761, and I cannot believe what I have been missing in receive Audio. DSP eat your heart out, because this old Icom has got you beat. In my opnion This radio has even got my Kenwood TS-870, beat in both transmit and receive audio. Again, in my opnion you cannot beat this old work horse. It's Analog but a dam good rig.