Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | HeathKit DX60B Help

Reviews Summary for HeathKit DX60B
HeathKit DX60B Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: hf cw / am transmitter

You can write your own review of the HeathKit DX60B.

K5WLR Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2005 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Nifty little AM Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got this one off the Internet... It did not work. A couple of local hams helped me out and we got it working FB. Then a bad final took out a resistor which was replaced. Now it is a steady little transmitter. Run it mostly on 75 meters into an LK450 amplifier with a D-104 mike. Sounds great and I can work on it too!!!

W2CBK Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2004 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Nice little transmitter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently acquired a DX-60 and HG-10 VFO. I was happily surprised with the AM performance. I'd read disparaging remarks about controlled carrier screen modulation, but the reports have been pretty good. Not broadcast quality, but not bad for what it is. From NJ, I worked the midwest with ease on 75M last night. It was great fun to fire up this rig with an old HQ-100 and time warp back to the sixties.

W3PH Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2004 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Made me very happy in the '60s  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got a DX-60 in the early '60s - this was my 3rd rig - first was a home-brew 6AG7/6L6 crystal-controlled rig that was the first thing I built, and which actually worked. 2nd was a surplus ARC-5 Command Set transmitter & receiver for 40 meters. The DX-60 seemed very smooth by comparison, and when I later got the HG-10 VFO I was able to start chasing DX, still using the ARC-5 receiver. Got some reports of key clicks from locals, so I softened the keying a bit with an R/C mod that was popular at the time.

Then, as now, my operation was 99.9% CW, but I did make a few AM contacts with the DX-60 just to prove to myself that it worked in that mode. The DX-60 wasn't powerful enough (and the controlled-carrier grid modulation didn't help) to do much with AM, especially with the not-so-great antennas I had in those days, but it did work.

Have bought & sold a lot of equipment since then, but have never been able to bring myself to sell the DX-60 - I'm still sentimentally attached to it.

KC0MOG Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2004 08:33 Send this review to a friend
good novice transmitter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a heathkit dx60b that my dad built in 1971 i believe he said. the rig along with the rx-1 my grandfather built in 1963 was my primary station untill 1997 when I let my old call expire. the rigs were in full use most of their life and the dx60 was only on its second 6146 since new!If a guy wanted to buy a decent cw rig i would recommend this 90 watt crystal or vfo controlled rig to them. Mine has developed an electrolytic capacitor problem(I believe) since it was last used full time but it still lights up and does put out a signal. I love this old rig which may be sentimental since it was my Dad's but it gave me many many hours of trouble free use as a novice class for 16 years. 73s kc0mog ex ka6vpc