Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Midland 13-509 Help

Reviews Summary for Midland 13-509
Midland 13-509 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 12 channel crystal controlled 222MHz FM mobile transceiver. Frequently used to build 222MHz repeaters.
More info: http://www.repeater-builder.com/midland/midland-index.html

You can write your own review of the Midland 13-509.

KK9H Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2010 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Works well for its age  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My local radio club had its annual December auction and I bought a 13-509 for $20. It had two channels installed and was tested to be within spec. In fact, it looks brand new so I guess the original owner, had never really used it. I bought some crystals for our club repeater from ICM and added a Com-Spec PL board. Netting the receive and transmit crystals went smoothly. Both transmitted and receive audio are quite good. In fact, the receiver has plenty of audio, enough to fill a room. For a 35 year old rig, I must say that I am impressed with it. Bottom line, if you run across one of these for a good price and spending about $25 per crystal and $30 for a PL tone board isn't an issue, you can get on 222 MHz easily. It makes a really nice base rig to use on the local repeater.

W7MY Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2006 11:03 Send this review to a friend
A Classic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three of these radios I purchased in the 70's. One used to be a repeater; its RX and TX boards were removed and separated. I put the pieces back together and it, along with the other two, work as well as the did almost 30 years ago. I now use them for contests, loaning them out for locals to use to make contacts. They seem to be in-destructible!

NE0P Rating: 3/5 Jan 19, 2006 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Will get you on 222mhz  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You can find these fairly cheaply for sale today. Makes a great way to add another band for VHF contesting, which is what I used it for. As long as you have the 223.5mhz crystal, you are set. Limited to how many crystals you can installed but in many areas of the country you don't have more than a handful of 222 repeaters (we have zero here) so that isn't a problem. However, if you have to buy new crystals for it the price quickly grows. I wouldn't want this as my dedicated 222 use on alot of repeaters rig but for simplex or 1 machine it is too bad. I think it did 10 watts. Not much more to say about it.