Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Midland 13-510 Help

Reviews Summary for Midland 13-510
Midland 13-510 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: 2m 25W FM mobile transceiver
More info: http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/midland-index.html

You can write your own review of the Midland 13-510.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2015 08:22 Send this review to a friend
In it's time it was great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I leave this for posterity. I bought mine in 1977 ($275 discounted!) at a time when all my ham buddies were on 2 meters and in my hometown of Kansas City, MO new repeaters were springing up like weeds in July. Back then guys were mostly still running crystal controlled rigs. This rig was the Next-Big-Deal. It used a synthesized oscillator and you had all of the 2 meter freqs at your fingertips. I kept it in the car for several years and many thousands of miles. It proved durable and reliable during that time. Nowadays you can get more features in much smaller packages but back in the day this was near cutting edge.

W4ZJM Rating: 2/5 Sep 13, 2012 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Aging issues with my Midland  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Midland 13-510 from back in the 80's. In 1997 I got away from all Ham Radio, other than to renew my license when required. Now that I'm retired, I wanted to get back on VHF, so I got my old 13-510 and fired it up. Problem is that the S-Meter doesn't move on receive or transmit, and their is not RF output when trying to transmit. I don't have any more equipment to repair or assess what's wrong with it. I missed that old rig so much I bought another one just like it on ebay. Guess what? It has the identical problem. Wonder if anyone out here in Ham Land has repair this type of problem. Now, I'm stuck with two classics, and no way to enjoy using them again. :(

KC9EIG Rating: 4/5 Mar 9, 2004 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this radio at a local hamfest for $25.00 to use as a cheap rag-chewing radio at the base with many of my locals. It works great. The internal speaker is blown but that is no big deal as I have my vintage Motorola speaker hooked up to it. It is hooked up to a Cushcraft 13-Ele 2M beam at about 10 feet off the ground and I give all my locals a signal of 20+/s9 at just 1 watt. The only things that it misses are a tone board and an easier way to set odd-offsets for repeaters. It is easy to navigate around the band with 3 different VFO's, 1 for 1 MHz steps one for .1 MHz steps and one for .01 MHz steps. It is easy and is a great radio for what i paid.