Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Kenwood ACRP-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood ACRP-2000
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $$84.95
Description: Radio control program for the Kenwood TS2000 series radios.
More info: http://www.kenwood.net

You can write your own review of the Kenwood ACRP-2000.

KI6USW Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2011 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Indispensable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Write your own software for this radio? Sure - why not? NOT! There is a lot of software on the market that will work and I think I have tried them all. But they just frankly do not measure up to the ARCP-2000 software - IMO.

My personal thought of this software is that it is nothing short of being essential. It is able to access functions in the TS-2000 that cannot be accessed any other way. No other software out there can unlock the TS-2000's full potential.

I downloaded the free version of it for awhile and then deleted it. Since then, I cannot find that same download. The software that is now out on the internet has a virus attached - SO BEWARE! Just spend the $75 and don't risk your computer's O/S.

I feel a tremendous loss since I no longer have the software. Am about to purchase the disc from HRO. been running w/o it for two months and can really feel the loss of radio functions.

ARCP-2000 makes using this radio so much simpler in every way. Changing freq, modes, splits - you just name it. Plus, it has the DSP controls that I like. Shape the filters, program the repeater offsets - everything. The real brain for a radio that has a lot of muscle.

If you have been running your TS-2000 w/o this software, you don't know what you are missing. I have a lot of confidence that you will be more than pleased as I have been with it.

I feel that Kenwood SHOULD have given the computer cable and this software with the radio purchase at no extra charge. This concept of nickel and diming their customers - is for the birds. In essence, they are keeping you from all of the functions it is capable of until you spend the extra money. That is a cheap shot - Kenwood! DO you really need to stoop so low?!?

i give the software a 5/5; but Kenwood a 1/5 for not supplying the software/cable with the radio.

But get the software; you will be glad that you did. You will also need to make or purchase a USB/Serial cable. I bought mine on eBay for ~$25 plus S&H . . .

K1YPB Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2009 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Kenwood's ARCP-2000 program does what it is supposed to. It allows you access to every functional aspect of your TS-2000 in a simple and logical manner. It is not hard to learn to use, and if you get it you probably would not be disappointed. That said however... the interface is not as attractive or as versatile as HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe) which is a free program. HRD is a very attractive and super functional program that way out performs Kenwood's control program. Kenwood's program graphics are a medium resolution and somewhat old fashion looking - like something out of the 1990's, while HRD has an up to date look, which is user customizable, while Kenwood's program is what it is. Because of these limitations I gave Kenwood's program a 4. The program fully works the radio, which is what it is supposed to do.

W7SAZ Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2009 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Can control everything & has documentation  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was frustrated running a TS-2000 remote base with some popular free radio control SW that emphasizes HF operation and non-radio functions. I could not control all the features in the TS-2000 and the remote base function did not always show the correct frequency I was on!

I received a tip from another HAM. I bought the Kenwood ACRP-2000 radio control software for $85 and setup Microsoft Remote Desktop. All my problems were solved! RDP was a snap to setup and I can control everything on my remote PC. The ACRP-2000 radio control software works great and I can control everything on my TS-2000.

An old review of the ACRP-2000 radio control software stated there was no documentation. The current version sold has full documentation by way of detailed Help files. Id like to have a printed manual but the Help files have answered all my questions.

I give the ACRP-2000 radio control software only 4 out of 5 stars because the buttons on the software interface are not laid out like the buttons on the actual TS-2000. And, some of the software buttons are hidden in sub-menus. So, it is like learning to use two different radios.

In summary, the ACRP-2000 radio control software works well, controls everything on the TS2000 and has full documentation.

W7SAZ

K9YEQ Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2006 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Intuitive and Works Well,  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works well. Would like to have main and sub buttons larger. Given this Software has had few updates, it does well for me And I prefer it over the rig's front panel.

KG4RUL Rating: 1/5 Feb 16, 2004 14:43 Send this review to a friend
My Homebrew DOS Program is BETTER!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sorry Kenwood, for the price, this is a real rip-off! I have written my own program in DOS with TurboPascal that is, while not nearly as pretty, completely functional and totally stable. Spend less time on fancy GUIs and more time on good, solid, reliable programming.

Dennis - KG4RUL

NE0P Rating: 3/5 Feb 16, 2004 14:38 Send this review to a friend
OK but could use some help  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a Kenwood TS-B2000, which is the "silver box" version of the TS2000 which is entirely controlled by the ACRP-2000 software. There is no front panel to this radio, only the virtual panel that appears on the computer screen. I was not sure how I would like such a setup, but figured I would give it a try since it was a good buy. Overall, this setup has worked pretty well for me, and this review is only for the software.

First off, I deducted 1 point because the documentation for the software not only sucks, it is nonexistant. The manual that comes with the installation CD only tells how to install it. It doesn't say anything about using the software, what any of the menus or buttons on the screen do. There is a help menu for the software, but it is incomplete, and I hate reading things like that. I like to have manuals in front of me. I had a TS2000 in the past so I know about the basic functioning of the radio, but am still learning all about the software. Almost all of it was learned by trial and error. For example, there is a button marked "DSP Monitor" and the help menu nor the TS2000 menu says anything about this. Best I can figure out is that it opens up the DSP filters to full width while the button is pushed. That is just a guess since it isn't documented anywhere.

I also deducted a point for the rating since the program has a few glitches in it. First off, you cannot change the size of the program window. I would like to make it half size so I could have a digital program up at the same time, but you cannot do that. It is one size, or minimized. If anyone finds a way to make it smaller, I would sure appreciate it.

There are also a few glitches in the frequency control methods and modes when going into satellite mode. Kenwood did offer an updated version to fix these issues, and I installed it, but then I seemed to lose full duplex capabilities. During several satellite passes, I couldn't find my signal on the downlink, although other stations and the satellite beacon were plenty strong. I finally uninstalled the new version and went back to the original which again gave me full duplex. Not sure what was going on there. I also wish it had a mute button for each receivers audio, instead of having to turn the slide switch all the way down.

All in all the program is pretty neat. Does some nice things that the front panel version of the TS2000 doesn't, and I am quickly learning to control my radio this way. It does get busy when trying to run both the radio and a digital mode at the same time, but I am learning more tricks all of the time. If you are looking at getting a TS-B2000 but are unsure about computer control, go for it. I am running a pentium 120mhz computer with 64mb of RAM and Windows 98, and it handles the program just fine.