Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 2000a Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 2000a
ACOM 2000a Reviews: 101 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $6850 USD
Description: ON4UN demonstrates the ACOM 2000A Automatic HF Linear Amplifier
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/

You can write your own review of the ACOM 2000a.

N2EHG Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2017 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this amp for a while, having had great success with my Acom 1000, got this 2000a w/the newer digital head for a new location. One of the key features for me was being able to attach it to my microham keyer, and my maclogger dx program. This allows the linear to automatically follow me, everything is totally automated. Has always worked rock solid. The new digital head is easy to use and provides lots of info. Never had any problems with my Acom products. Hope to try their SS amp.

W8NWN Rating: 1/5 Aug 30, 2017 02:26 Send this review to a friend
Failed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It worked fine for 7 months on lite duty but failed now and wont come on.........Too heavy and difficult to ship.......Very expensive garbage. ---sorry I would NOT recommend this amplifier to anyone.

KW2W Rating: 4/5 May 20, 2017 03:58 Send this review to a friend
great amp, but  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
having had many amps in my 57 yrs as a ham, this acom 2000a is just out of this world... i wont boar you with all the usual stuff you can read about.. but am confused about one thing ... the amp, comes with a remote controller, and with extension cables, can be placed quite far away from the operating position .... nice feature ... but, you still have to visit the amp to turn it on ??? ... there is a main switch on back of the amp, that must be placed in the on position befour the remote control will work ?? ... so, i ask, where is the remote capability ??? i bought this amp for many reasons, one being that i could place it in some rempte portion of the shack and forget it, just like it states in the operating manual..being some what disabled, i thought this would be a great feature....well, in reality, its not...so,i had to make room for it near my operating position..no big deal as the fans are very quiet, but the motors that move the varable caps, well, thats another story ..... hey, dont let this discourage you from buying this amp .... again,its fabulous...this is just a heads up, if your truly looking for a ..."real remote " amp

W8NWN Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2017 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank and just as heavy.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This amplifier has to be the heaviest unit ever made. It takes 2 people just to put the transformer in. (41 lbs). Also 2 people to bolt the transformer in the chassis. Nearly impossible for one person to carry to your shack table. (80 lbs.) Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. I just wanted everyone to know what they are getting into by ordering this product. It's a great amp but God help you if you have to ship it to be repaired. You must reverse the above procedure which again takes 2 people and about an hour to just pack it up. If you like the sound of 4XCX800's, this is the amp for you.

Hint: To make it easier, I built a "dolly" made out of 3/4" plywood (18" X 18") and casters for it to sit on. Now I can easily move it if I have to sweep around it or connect coax cables etc. I STRONGLY recommend building this dolly. It sits on the floor beside my desk with the RCU on the desk. Very cool indeed! Why the 4? I took off one point for the excessive but necessary weight.

As to its ability to amplify your signal? What can I say? One GREAT amp!!!

AF4WH Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2016 07:12 Send this review to a friend
A Very Fine Rig and Company  Time owned: more than 12 months
At first, I was a bit overwhelmed by this amazing piece of equipment. Back in the 70's I had the good fortune to own an Alpha 78. Consequently, I thought I know all I needed to know about automatic tuning RF amplifiers. Please don't make my mistake. Get out the manual and go through it thoroughly. I was baffled for a time by the rig shutting itself down for no apparent reason, because I didn't know where to look. Turned out the power company was sending 258 volts down our 240 volt line, and the rig was protecting itself.

It also took some research to learn that this rig actually has a fine antenna tuner built in. There I was trying to run it with an extra tuner I had no need of. Once set up, this rig memorizes all the settings for every frequency you are likely to operate on.

Puts out lots of power. Capable of 2000+ watts into our big oil can. Has a remote control that lets you locate across the room if you wish, although I found the ACOM to be very quiet, and I really don't like fan noise.

It uses a pair of GU74B tubes, which are apparently relatively plentiful in Europe, as they is used by the Russian military. It seems to be nearly indestructible, which make sense. Who would want military gear failing at the first bump in the road. Not expensive. either. US equivalent is the 4cx800a. Two of them give you 1600 watts of plate dissipation!

This rig will also work with a remote antenna switch from the same company. Will automatically (or manually via a remote control box) switch up to 10 remote antennas on a single piece of coax. Almost pays for itself in coax savings.

The company has been most supportive. They have responded quickly to my questions, and provided excellent help. They quickly and inexpensively repaired the antenna switch after it was subjected to an extended under-salt-water experience during the recent hurricane. While it has proved weather-proof under most conditions, several hours under the salt water was too much...)

In my opinion, it would be tough to find a better amplifier than the ACOM 2000a.

IV3EPO Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2016 00:58 Send this review to a friend
Acom 2000a a tank!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was been a proud owner for 10 years of an Acom-1000 that never dissapointed me. I've decided to change with "big daddy" 2000a...wow...amazing amplifier !! 2kw down easily, built like a tank, cheap high quality tubes, ecc..
If you try it you'll never come back.
73'

W2PP Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2015 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine now for two years. I will never sell it. I have found that its rock reliable. I use the microbit...see my review over their....for internet control and it just works perfectly. I tuned it up per band segment and it retunes nearly instantly when I change bands. I had an alpha 9500 and sold it as it self destructed all by its self. This amp is one I will be using for many years to come. Bought an extra pair of tubes from Array solutions and they are brand new in box. I'm set for decades to come.

ZL1WN Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2015 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using my Acom 2000A for a couple of days, with my Flexradio 6700 and DDUTIL.
The amp works perfectly, and is so quiet I have to check the powermeter to see if it is transmitting.
Acom-bg are wonderful at replying to emails and they went out of their way to send the ACOM200A before their summer holidays.
I have found the automatic tuning to be very good, much better than the Alpha87A which will now be retired.

N6GY Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2015 16:25 Send this review to a friend
NICE AMP!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've never owned a top of the line amp before. (I did have an OLD Yaesu FL2000B). So perhaps as a "newbie" my comments should be taken with a grain of salt? I AM SIMPLY OVERWHELMED!!!! It makes the perfect match to my 3 element STEPPIR and Kenwood TS-2000. AUDIO IS EXCEPTIONAL at full power out, just like my Kenwood is at 100 watts. I bought it from ARRAY SOLUTIONS, and it DID NOT WORK. The owner Jay talked to me for over TWO HOURS, until we discovered the tubes had been jarred loose by UPS Gorillas. After correct tube re-attachment the unit has been exceptional. Full power out on most bands with only 40 - 50 watts input from the radio. MY ONLY COMPLAINT would be "why do they have to attach the case with 29 little screws"? Yes, I got to be real good removing them and re-installing them. Next time I'll just put a heavy book on top to de-activate the "crowbar" safety switch :-). Only tip I'd offer is pay the $50 to get the unit pre-checked like I did. That way you KNOW it was good when it left Array Solutions. I don't believe HRO has on-site technicians?

W8DX Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2015 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Spruced Up after 13 Years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It was inevitable that this very dependable amp would get a bit cranky after 13 years of continuous service. I feel fortunate that Array Solutions enthusiastically upgraded my rock solid companion, even providing a new matched pair of tubes and testing my older ones. Turned around in five days! Thanks to Jay, Billy and all at Array Solutions, it will remain in operation for years to come.