Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 2000a Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 2000a
ACOM 2000a Reviews: 101 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $6850 USD
Description: ON4UN demonstrates the ACOM 2000A Automatic HF Linear Amplifier
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/

You can write your own review of the ACOM 2000a.

KG9SF Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2015 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amp, with a weak point  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Acom 2000A is a fine product. The build quality is excellent and I have had no malfunctions in my two years of ownership. I'm going to bring up my one and only disappointment:

The automatic antenna matching circuit is disappointing to me. For an amplifier with this big a price tag I had expected much, much more. For example, on my tori and yagi which is cut for phone, I generally see as much as 50 watts reflected power on 20M phone, depending on the exact frequency. On CW, of course, it's worse yet, since the antenna is cut for phone.

I have not tried the manual tuning feature. I guess I I figure that since I paid a small fortune for an amp with full automatic antenna matching ..............that's what I'd get.

The design philosophy for the automatic antenna matching section appears to be "just match it fairly close........sorta".

Otherwise, the amp performs well. I get a full 1400 watts with ease on all bands. I've gotten 2000 watts into a dummy load with no complaints from the amp.

The RCU is wonderful. Just great. It's one of the finest features of this product.

The amp runs cool as a cucumber even under hard use.

The fan is absolutely unnoticeable. Some comparable amps sound like a vacuum cleaner when you turn them on. The Acom 2000A is blissfully silent.

I bought a pair of new GU74Bs(4CX800As) from Russia for $350 total. A friend with electronics expertise and lab grade test equipment tested the tubes for me and found that both were fine. Not a bad price to retube the amp.

In summary, I like the Acom 2000A with the exception of the auto antenna tuner. The protection circuitry is spectacular.

All of my signal reports have been very complimentary. As with all tetrode amps, it's important to not over-drive the tubes. Stay within the published limits and your signal will be clean as a whistle.

I bought my 2000A from Jay at Array Solutions. He has been easy to reach and has provided answers to all my questions.

KC1MR Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2015 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic !!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had nothing but GREAT resualts with this FANTASTIC RIG. I QSY all the time with NO issues .
Also their support with VAL on their email address was the best.
Just a HINT -- the back up battery is only used anytime the front panel is turned powed off.

5/5 amp 5/5 support

NN4SS Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2015 14:26 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had an ALPHA 87A for 22 years & an ALPHA 9500 for 10 months. This ACOM is better than the 87A and much better than the 9500. Everyone has said how quiet the ACOM is, but you have to hear it to believe how quiet it is. You can barely hear the blower and you can not hear the QSK relay at all. It is just as quiet as my 87A that used pin diodes for switching. In order to get the amp to go to a frequency segment, you lower your power & send a dot or a syllable and the amp jumps to the correct segment faster than the 9500. You can use the default tuning settings or better yet, let it auto tune to your antenna & it automatically saves that setting. To set it for your antenna, go to the center of each segment, apply 15 watts, it auto tunes & saves the setting. That's it, you never have to tune it again unless your antenna changes. Now all you have to do is go to a frequency, hit the PTT, and crank up the power until you get the power output you want. You can buy a cable that will allow the Amp to follow most transceivers. Also, you have the option of moving the amp out of the way & just using the remote on the operating table. All I can say is the Amp works exactly like it should. The only drawback is that it is so simple to operate, you don't get to play with it like the older amps with all the knobs, buttons, and meters. I have an Elecraft 500 watt solid state amp and the ACOM behaves just like a 1500 watt solid state amp.

KA4SFD Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2015 23:13 Send this review to a friend
You get what you pay for.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My Elmer K4XS hosted me at his station about a year ago. It was my first exposure to the 2000A and I was hooked. I looked at many other, less expensive, amps but I knew I would never be happy with anything less. So I spent the money and never looked back. I am a contester and place high demands on my equipment. The amp has been flawless in it's performance. No more than 50 Watts input is always full legal limit out. Tuning is instantaneous. The remote control head is packed with information and a small foot print on my desk. It runs cool and quiet. Yes, this is a big investment but you get what you pay for and the Acom 2000A has proven worthy of the cost. I bought mine from Array Solutions and highly recommend them as they have provided excellent customer service.

KA4SFD

NV2A Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2014 07:04 Send this review to a friend
TreMeNdOUs!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Whoever told me "money can't buy you happiness" is a damn liar!!

I'm getting on in years and wanted to treat myself to a station my wife could get at least 30 cents on the dollar when I kick. I recently parked an Acom 2000a on the left side of my Yaesu FLDX5000 and am tickled all to hell. The worst thing I can say about the 2000a is that I had to call one DX station twice before I got through. (later found out the Yaesu mic was on ragchew settings and not DX Pileup Busting Parameters.)

If you're getting long in the tooth then treat yourself to your dream setup, your estate can deal with it when your gone.....or....leave the money to someone else and let them buy one or maybe a pool for their backyard.

If I have any problems I'll be sure and come back with the problem. 73's all and remember, DX don't sleep and life is too short for QRP.

W2PP Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2014 17:37 Send this review to a friend
ACOM and RC1216H Remote control   Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my ACOM 2000A for two years and I LOVE it. I sold my Alpha 9500 for this amp and it was a wise choice. Now, I just got the RC1216H, you have to get it direct from Microbit in Sweden but boy was it worth it. The RC 1216H allows you to remotely control the ACOM 2000A over the internet. You have your own web page for the amp, I can say this is ROCK reliable. My son was able to control my ACOM from the middle east tonight!!!! You need the RPON still but with the RC1216H man its a whole new world. Do NOT confuse the RC1216H with the 1216H they are NOT the same.

GM6TVR Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2014 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Words can't explain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ran my original 2000 for thirteen and a half years without a hitch, decided to sell it recently and purchase the 1500 to cover 6mtrs.
The 2000 was sent off to a well known engineer who checked it out and gave it a 100% clean bill of health before passing it on to it's new owner who bought it from me, posted directly from the test bed.
I took charge of my new 1500 which is superb, but missing the 2000 so much I bought a brand new one with the new style RCU, absolutely brilliant.
Both of these amps are incredible, you will not be disappointed.

LA4UOA Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 02:36 Send this review to a friend
SUPER AMP AND TOP SERVICE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had many amps in my shack, but no other amp like this one, it is expencive but i am glad i spent my money on it.
It is very easy to use, just remember to do user tunings so it will fit with your antenna, and give you full output.
It is very powerful, have to be very careful not working over the 1kw we have here in Norway.It tunes extremly fast just a dit and it is ready.
Val at Acom have answered all my questions and allways super fast service, thank you Val.

K2LS Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2014 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Still impressed  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 6 years of constant use my amp lost a tube.

The service @ Array solutions was TERRIFIC!

My amp now works like new.

Thanks Bob, Jay etc.

73, Larry

OR5A Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2014 21:13 Send this review to a friend
Simply "the best"  Time owned: more than 12 months
After over 7500 contacts all I can say is that this is simply the best and nicest product for amateur radio on the market. Purchased at Vine UK in November 2012. Great service by Ron. Real gentleman that knows his business.

As stated before by other owners this piece of kit is silent. I get the cold shivers when I hear the vacuum cleaner noise of most competitors. Finish and build quality is second to none. Absolutely top notch.

I have my Acom 2000a interfaced with Microham Station Master. Fantastic combination. Although the amplifier only needs half of a second of input to set band and match the antenna, the Microham station master puts the Acom on the correct band segment when changing VFO of the transceiver. It also makes sure I can not key the Acom 2000a while changing bands or adjusting my dynamic antenna.

The color lcd display is fantastic to look at. Tonnes of information, very nice graphic bars for forward and reflected power. I have Acom Director installed on the shack computer. I now can controle the amplifier over the network (remote) and have a graphic on my screen (like a remote RCU) which is fantastic.

Very well protected against almost everything, very forgiven for not that ideal antennas. Can match antennas up to 3:1 so my dipole on 80 meters lets me cover a bit more khz bandwidth and on 40 meters the Acom covers the entire band, no external tuners needed.

Legal limit power in a state of the art packages does not come cheap. But if you can spare the cash, this is the amplifier your always dreamed of. I did for many years. Recommend it 5 stars.