Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 2000a Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 2000a
ACOM 2000a Reviews: 85 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $6850 USD
Description: ON4UN demonstrates the ACOM 2000A Automatic HF Linear Amplifier
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/

You can write your own review of the ACOM 2000a.

K7ERQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2012 20:20 Send this review to a friend
EXCEPTIONAL!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The new Acom 2000A is simply wonderful! Ive owned them all...The Emtrons, Alphas, the Commanders, Amp supply, Yaesu, Icom, SPE...If they have been made in the last 15 years Ive owned them and tried them. This Acom 2000A, oh my goodness...Simply EXCEPTIONAL. Quiet, Quiet, Quiet! Quick tune up! Quick band change Simple to use and adjust. I LOVE THE ACOM 2000A. Been hamming 57 years. I am in heaven! You must own one to know! worth very cent!

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2012 05:49 Send this review to a friend
The "new" Acom2000a with new RCU  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A lot already has been told and written about this (ch)amp. And a champion it is. The build quality is second to none, only the best materials are used and the finish is fantastic. Another big plus is that you can't hear the amplifier working. It is so quiet and even after hours of use the Acom2000a stays cool en quiet.

I've owned two Acom1000's and still own the Expert SPE 1K-FA. The expert maid me looking for the Acom2000a and selling one of my beloved 1000's. Once you get spoiled with all the automation of things, you don't want to go back.

As always I dealt with Ron from Vine UK Antennas. Ron is a real gentleman and takes pride in his work and products. As with my other purchases Ron's support was great. I was the first to get one of Ron's new shipment of "the new Acom2000a". Acom now ships a completely redesigned RCU (remote control unit) that comes in a nice housing (with the same nice finish as the main unit) and a big 5 inch color TFT LCD screen.

Besides the great looking screen some new features are introduced to the RCU and the software has been updated also. One of the most exciting things is that the Acom2000a now supports CAT control from most transceivers while the same RS232 port still remains available on the main unit.

CAT introduction does two things.

1/ The amplifier will follow the radio when the operator dial across the band or when he switches from one band to another. That means that once the amplifier has been tuned up for all band segments and all antennas, the Acom2000a is always ready from the moment the operator changes frequency without even applying RF power.

2/ If setup correctly the new Acom2000a now can be tuned by just pushing a single button on the RCU. The software and CAT will take care of the rest controlling the radio. The greatly reduces the time to tune up the amplifier for the first time or later when needed (changes in antenna conditions). A big advantage is that it has become truly simple to perform the tuning.

On the new RCU a lot (20 different) parameters can be monitored while in standby or while operating. A large, nice colored, led bar provide a visual state of the forwarded power and a bit smaller bar shows the reflected power returned by the antenna. Besides the power led meters the operator can monitor some important items like 'heater' or 'drive power', etc.

A third new feature is that the RCU now lets you control up to ten antennas from the unit itself. A remote antenna selector switch box can be connected to the RCU. The color LCD will show what antenna is selected and if the operator has default or user tuning settings for that antenna. Thanks to CAT the correct antenna will be selected depending on band and frequency.

A nice touch, you can program your own callsign on the big screen.

I've interfaced the Acom2000a with both my IC-7600 and the Microham MKII and Station Master thanks to the Icom CI-V connections. This way the new Acom2000a becomes as automated as possible and the amplifier is always ready when I click on a dx spot in my logger software. I must say that this new features made we wait for the new Acom2000a to arrive and I'm glad I did.

I've looked at different brands but IMHO there comes nothing close to this amplifier when you take all things in consideration. It is hard to beat the Acom2000a and if you can spend the budget, this baby is the one to get. I can not recommend it enough.

I hope to write a follow up review in the next few years. To me, both this Acom2000a and the Acom1000 are the two nicest tube amps on the marked. Both proven to be the best products the last decade. Period.

IK0YVV Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2012 02:29 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Amplifier and company  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using my acom2000a since 2000, so more than 12 years and 12000 hours on. My unit has serial nr 141, so one of the very first built, i used it in many contests ,each mode, even on RTTY for 48 hours it gave me what i asked, he never leave me alone. Really impressive amplifier. Of course i had some little problems during the years, but the company is really outstanding and fast in replying giving you the right support. Last week i had to replace the tubes and to fix some other minor problems ... i sent emails during the week-end and received answers in few hours !!!! Acom knows how to take care of their costumers even after 12 years !!!!
I don't know how many companies can do the same .... so a big thanks to Vasko all all his staff:Stan, Val and the others who follow us. Thanks guys.
Nowdays on the market you can find a lot of amplifier at the some power level of the Acom2000A, but very few has proved on the field their value year after year, and being followed after so many time from the factory it's really fantastic.Thanks again Acom ! If you are looking for a great,powerfull,solid like a rock amplifier and a company that doesn't leave you alone ... well ACOM 2000A is the right choise.

VE3CFK Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2012 19:18 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding !  Time owned: more than 12 months
The amplifier and technical support are superb.

I have been an ACOM 2000A owner for 5 years. Have owned many amplifiers - Yaesu Quadra, Heathkit 200 and 220's, home brew 4-1000, 3-500, 4-250, 833 and non compare to the ACOM 2000A. The quality and engineering are second to non. It is quiet, dependable and bullet-proof as far as fault protection. The auto tuning is fast, dependable and faultless. The remote console is a unique feature allowing the amplifier to sit on the floor out of the way and not clutter the operating position.

Recently, I experienced some operational problems with the amplifier. With the help of Jay Terleski of Array Solutions (the North American ACOM sales and technical support company), we jointly trouble shot the amplifier and resolved the problems experienced. We are now back up and running as good as new.

Am I a happy owner of an ACOM 2000A? - YES.

Would I buy another ACOM 2000A - YES without hesitation.

Would I buy it from Array Solutions - YES

Update 2012...still 5/5.
____________________________
Update 2009...still 5/5

I want to revisit my review of December 28, 2000
in giving the Acom 2000A a 5/5.

It's still number one in my book and I still give it a 5/5

my review of December 28, 2000

Over the past several years I have owned a number of different Amplifiers, both solid state and tube type including the Alpha 87A and after using and owning the Acom 2000A rate it heads above all others. I simply love this amp.

The tuning is fast and smooth along with quick automatic band switching. The Acom is simply a plug and play Amp. The unit runs quiet and cool. Although not needed for my type of operation I added the optional cooling fan and find the two fans in the Acom to be so much quieter than my computer fans.

To sum it up, the Acom offers fast simple full automatic tuning, handles SWR’s up to 3 to 1, remote diagnostic capability, RS232 control, first rate components along with quality construction, remoting of amp off the desk with control head on the desk, many protection circuits plus numerous amplifier monitoring functions (Forward and Reflected Power, Drive Power, Bias, DC-Input, VSWR, Temp-F, Temp-R, Screen –V, Plate-RF, Mains Voltage, I-Screen, I-Plate, I-Grid, IF-Rear, IF-Front, High Voltage,Gain, Fil-V, Frequency and more…..all digital)

If you can afford one, buy it.

N2WB Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2012 08:18 Send this review to a friend
A true work of ART...5+++++  Time owned: more than 12 months
With 9 years in and this is still an utterly amazing piece of equipment. No problems at ALL.

The 7800 and 2000a run great.

My unit is on almost "ON" each day...SSB, CW and RTTY.

The remote head (RCU) is fantastic with lots of readings to enjoy while on the "AIR" .... SUPER quiet operation of this amp.

My unit is on the floor next to my desk....

Look for some new products do out soon.

See you on the BANDS!

73 WILD BILL N2WB

DX RULES!!!

*ACOM - Outstanding HF Power Products!!!

GM6TVR Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2012 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Birthday (11th)  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have now owned this piece of kit for 11 years, bought from Ron Stone of Vine Antennas Ltd in December 2000, delivered in January 2001.
Been to the Middle East and back with me also, (A92HB) it was transported each way in the capable hands of DHL, still running and looking as brand new.
I would never have ever dared to imagine that such a complex piece of equipment would achieve this level of service.
RTTY in the Middle East was something to behold.
Still going strong back in my base in Scotland.
No need to say anymore.

73's,

John - gm6tvr / gm0fqv

W1ZK Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2011 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Powerfull and Quiet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first saw an Acom 2000A almost 10 years ago. It was very impressive indeed. 1500 watts output yet very quiet. Over the last few years I have gravitated to RTTY for normal QSOs plus contesting. Since 2005 I had been using an ICOM PW-1 with ICOM transceivers. The combo worked great but I was limited to 300-400 watts to keep the PW-1 both cool and "sort of" quiet. The fans went into hyper speed if I called CQ or ran stations for very long.
With the 2011 CQWW RTTY coming up I sent an e-mail to Bob Naumann W5OV at Array Solutions inquiring on 2000A availability. In stock, ready to ship! "I'll take one Bob, ship it!" The amp is all I had expected. Powerfull and quiet. It is also able to withstand SWR on my low band antennas up to 3:1 with ease. I am using it with an Icom 7700. Hit the key for a second and whump - the 2000A is on frequency and tuned. I think this may be my last amp!

K3PA Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2011 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Wow!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the amp for 7 years now. To summarize, wow!

- Oodles of output
- Good SWR tolerance
- Easy to drive
- Silent
- Trouble free
- Cheap tubes
- Lots of metrics reported

Contests, DX, rough service. No problem. It's expensive. Buy one anyway.

N3MX Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2011 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased this amplifier brand new from Array Solutions which provided great sales and service. This is my second ACOM amplifier as I also have the 1000. This Amp is extremely quiet and an absolute pleasure to operate. It really is like having a legal limit transceiver. I hope to have many good years of service from this amp just like my 1000.