Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | AKG 240 Help

Reviews Summary for AKG 240
AKG 240 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $159.00
Description: Studio headphones.
More info: http://www.akg-acoustics.com/english/headphones/

You can write your own review of the AKG 240.

K1WJ Rating: 4/5 Jul 22, 2016 14:27 Send this review to a friend
AKG 240 Studio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought at Guitar Center for $69 in July of 2016. QC seems very good. Comfortable to wear. Screw on 1/8th adapter makes nice solid connection. So far so good, hope it lasts....73 K1WJ

OE5CSP Rating: 4/5 Dec 18, 2014 09:56 Send this review to a friend
The K3 and AKG240  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Trying to find decent headphones, which fit a certain receiver can be challenging .The K3 sounds good if you tailor the EQ, find the right AGC settings for the given situation/band and back down the RF-gain.Ive tried several headphones for my radios.So Ive got a favourite headphone for each of them.I got the AKG 240 MK I on the used market.They were built in Austria, and they are my favourite phones for CW.They sound great, reducing the hiss and they are comfortable, but after some hours of wearing them they start aching my ears a bit. SSB is also good, but I slightly prefer the Yamaha CM 500 for this mode.The Yamaha is better for digging out the weak ones but for rag chewing and general listening I use the AKG.

KW6LA Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2013 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are considered the studio standard in circumaural open back headphones for good reason. The sound reproduction is excellent, with clear bass and midrange and a very balanced profile through the entire frequency spectrum.
Got to be the most comfortable headset ever, and you can wear them for hours.

KI0Z Rating: 3/5 Dec 6, 2011 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Very well made,Great for many  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Speakers and Headphones are as most know a judgement call. some love them others would not even try them. The AKG 240 is very well constructed. Impressive! However for my very good hearing not my pick. Not that they are bad just that others work better for me. The MDR-V150 @ $14 on the web was outstanding in the 160 CW contest with the IC-7800. You must learn to wear them over and above the ear like Military style to balance tonal levels. Another that is very good is the Yaesu YH77STA the newer ones. again It's what works for your hearing and learning the military style of listening which is a BIG PART OF IT. GUD LUCK & DX. I returned them on Amazon oh what an easy return.you get your tracking # at home and take it to ups,no filling out any paperwork or payment. I like Amazon !!

KB5ZAU Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2011 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Im not the only one who loves these!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was glad to see my favorite pair of headphones shared with so many here. I bought these for a mixer board with my Hammond A100 and Mellotron recording work. Then later a large scale part 15 AM array and now with my Heathkit modified HW-7 QRP rig which is rated for 1000 OHMS. I can't recall how they work with my Hammarlund but great for all solidstate gear as these are top notch performers. Lightweight too and don't fall apart!

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2009 01:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are excellent headphones, and they look and sound sound as good as the day I purchased them at least 20 years ago. They are lightweight, but durable, with excellent, natural sound reproduction. Nice tonal balance with no harsh high, nor booming low, frequencies. They are equally pleasing when used with my transceiver as they are with my stereo system.

These cans have a semi-opem air design which reduces, but does not completely block ambient noise in the shack. Therefore, they reduce annoying cooling fan noise, but do not produce that heady, dull, finger-in-the-ear sensation other headphones give when you speak. Thus, everything sounds quite normal, and natural; but with reduced ambient noise - resulting in a very good balance between noise isolation and natural sound. These cans are excellent at reproducing CW tones.

The ear muffs comfortably surround, and do not pinch or press upon the ears. You can wear these headphones all day without fatigue or discomfort. (Note: these headphones might be a little loose if the operator has a really small head....)

Just MY take, anyway. Good DX to all!

=========== James - K8JHR ===========

W6RCW Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2007 04:35 Send this review to a friend
Unbelievable!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading all the the glowing reports I wondered how any earphones could be all that great, but I went ahead and ordered the K240. I will now say that in over 72 years I have never heard such unbelievably beautiful audio come out of any receiver.

DELBOY Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2004 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Best since 1979  Time owned: more than 12 months
I tested every headphone in my price range back in 1979 and bought the K240's. Since then I have tried occasionally to improve on them with the wild misconception that technology must have moved on. Well, maybe technology has but I think AKG know a good thing have stuck with a basic design that 'works'. I use them for at least 4 hours a day and every day since '79. Is this a record? I have tried HD435's but not in the same league as the K240's. HD280 pro is the closest but a closed headphone will never sound as good as open.
Highly recommended for their open natural sound, detail,clear treble and a bass that is effective without being too resonant.

N6ILS Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2004 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Studio Version  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to add that there are two different versions of the K240 model. There is the "Monitor" and the "Studio" versions. The difference is the Monitor has a 600 ohm input impedance, while the Studio has a 55 ohm impedance and is $10 more. Beyond that the units are identical. I got the Monitor version initially. I found that I had to turn the AF up in order to hear well. Then if I unplugged the headphones the AF was set too high and blasting. So I exchanged them for the Studio model, and I must say, that made a huge difference. The 55 ohm impedance is almost a perfect match to my rig's speaker.

W4TME Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2004 13:43 Send this review to a friend
None better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using a pair of AKG K240 Studio headphones for over 2 years and find them to be the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried. They are light and the ear pieces cup your ears just enough to keep out ambient noise, but don't smash your ears into the side of your head. After hours of wear, you really can't tell you have them on. The dynamic range and sound reproduction is superb. Yes, they are full range, but they reproduce the human voice and the frequency range for CW (800-2K Hz) perfectly which is what I want in a pair of communication headphones.

I picked these because I used to use them back in the days when I did a little studio engineering in E. Tennessee and they were really great back then too. I don't regret my decision one bit.

They are a little expensive, but you can pick them up for less than $100 on the web.

I highly recommend them for any and all audio applications.

-Tim