Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | OptiBeam OB12-4 high performance midsize fourbander 40-20-15-10 Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OB12-4 high performance midsize fourbander 40-20-15-10
OptiBeam OB12-4 high performance midsize fourbander 40-20-15-10 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $2,585
Description: High efficient trapless Yagi for 40-20-15-10m.
2el on 40 / 3el on 20 / 3el on 15 / 4el on 10.
Lossfree shortened 40m elements by computer designed high Q air coils.
40m elements decoupled from other bands by the "OptiBeam decoupling stub technique".
Broadband single 50 Ohm coax cable feed system by the patented "OptiBeam direct coupled driver feed system"
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OB12-4 high performance midsize fourbander 40-20-15-10.

AF5IW Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2013 07:24 Send this review to a friend
GREAT SUPPORT   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a 6 year old OB 12-4 from MS moved it to TX and a new tower site, I was amazed at the quality of construction and condition. I need a few parts and contacted Tom at Optibeam and he sent me the small parts I needed so I could get the antenna on the air. The F/B and gain is amazing. first QSO bare back 100 watts Tokyo on 20M, Really great antenna from a great company! Thanks Tom!!

W5DGM Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2011 11:26 Send this review to a friend
What a Hammer !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If I could give this antenna 10 stars I would. Boxes arrived a day ahead of schedule, and despite one box having a gash in the side, contents were safe and intact, thanks to excellent packaging. Assembly was straight foward, though the manual could use just a little clarification on some of the explanations. Once it was in the air (thanks WF5K,W5ABC,N5XES, & others who helped) it is a beautiful work of art. But performance - WOW ! I am able to work pretty much anyone I can hear, with only 100 watts. Strong, clean signal patterns, excellent F/B and low noise on receive are just some of the features I am experiencing with the OB12-4. This is truly an outstanding antenna. Thanks Tom and every one at Optibeam for a superior product, and most importantly outstanding service. Very highly recommended.

IZ5MOQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2009 13:39 Send this review to a friend
DX Beast!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After the OB11-3 ( http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2015 ) and
the OB4-2W ( http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2676 ) my new OB12-4 is, finally, installed!

Great antenna, very solid boom, mechanically indestructible!

Always installed between the mountains... but working very well.

A71BX Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2008 10:35 Send this review to a friend
amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started to install the antenna before the CQWW SSB 2008, the installation of the antenna is simple and easy but you will need to follow the instruction of the installation carefully also I would like to add that all the parts of the antenna are marked even the boom!!

The antenna is heavy so donít forget to choose a heavy duty mast to hold the antenna

The signals from the antenna are crazy and very strong this antenna is marvels specially on 40m band, signals on this band are 20db most of the time

The true exam of the antenna was during the CQWW 2008 SSB when we setup the station and start CQing on 40m band (WOW) we can hear any station calling on the band and they can hear us very easy too!

the most important thing is that we were able to increase our score in 40m band from 712 QSOs with OB1-40 on 2007 and 1400 QSOs this year with this antenna so we doubled the number of QSOs this year in this contest by this antenna also I would like to mentioned that last year we were using 4 elements SteppIR and OB9-5 for 20, 15 and 10m and the total number of the QSOs last year was 2647 with these antennas but this year the OB12-4 was mostly the running antenna in the station beside the OB9-5 and the total number of QSOs increased to 4000 QSOs and this is a big issue

SWR on 10m is 1.6 to 2, 15m is 1.5 to 1.2
20m is almost 1.2 to 1.1
for 40m 2.0 on 7000 MHz, 1.2 on 7050 MHz and 1.8 on 7100 MHz

Sometimes I will have QSOs on 40m with other stations, they usually get my call from first or second call and my signal is always 599 but later on I will find that I'm running QRP without a notice (hi)

Enjoy this great antenna

Thanks Tom (DF2BO)

de A71BX from A73A contest team

SV2DCD Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2008 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own an OB12-4 for about 4 months now.Starting from the assebly i have to say that it was very easy and simple.It took me a couple of hours to prepare the antenna on the ground before i put it on the tower.Excellent work on the 40m coils.Nice support also for the 2 elements on this band.
As for the performance now, my OB12-4 installed at 26m high. The first thing i've done, was to check the swr on 40m band.Great results both ssb and cw segment.In my opinion i believe this is the most important thing for this antenna.Great swr on 40m band both cw,ssb segments!
After 40m band i measured the swr on the other bands.Excellent!Flat SWR everywhere.
On this 4 months period i've made plenty of dx qso's and had some participations in contests with great results.
I am amazed from the performance on 40m band.The antenna listens excellent.Never had an antenna with such low noise level on this band.Also with OB12-4 the phrase "first call" is now true for me.On the higher bands the antenna works also perfect.
I am very satisfied of my OB12-4 and i am suggesting it to anyone that wants great performance from an antenna with excellent F/B and F/R,no traps,great gain and quality product.It is a very good choice for antenna because it offers quality in low cost.
73 Leo SV2DCD

N3KS Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2007 11:01 Send this review to a friend
OptiBeam Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I notice that in my review that it is not clear that I was comparing the Optibeam OB12-4 side by side with a friend's 2 element 40 meter beam. I just wanted that to be noted.
73 N3KS

N3KS Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2007 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've placed the OB12-4 at the top of a 90 ft tower here in northern Maryland. Shipment of the antenna was smooth - Array Solutions (the USA distributor) and OptiBeam do a nice job of 'pre-clearing' everything, so it was waiting for me to pick up at the airport (Delta Cargo in my case.)

Some comments on assembly: 1) the parts are nicely marked, packed well and easy to identify, 2) the 40m elements are partially assembled when shipped - which is very helpfull, 3) everything is pre-marked on the boom and elements - there is no guesswork as to what goes exactly where. Nice job - the antenna can be built in less than a day by one person.

I chose the 40M CW segment tune setting for the antenna (all other bands are essentially flat SWR), and was pleased with how perfectly the SWR matched the expected results. This antenna is certainly designed with precision.

The performance of this antenna seems to be superlative. I do not have anything equivalent to test it against side by side - however, I ran side by side tests with a local ham who has a different two element beam at 53 ft height (note there is a height disparity), but who typically can hear very well. Band conditions were poor, but I worked a pileup on 40cw in the evening while my friend listened from his station, and I worked about 20 stations from Europe. Fully one third of the stations I succesfully worked - he could not hear well enough to get the callsign. Another third I worked easily, and were tough copy for him. This was not a scientific test, (and not 'apples to apples') but certainly gives an indication that the OB12-4 does very very well. In further 'playing' with it on the bands, I get the feeling that it is getting out and hearing extremely well.

I had a couple of questions for Tom, DF2BO, the owner of OptiBeam - and every question was answered quickly and thoroughly. Dealing with OptiBeam was/is a good experience for me.

In my view, the OB12-4 is a quality product with outstanding performance.

73 Kam N3KS

IZ2FOS Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2006 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Simply perfect.

IZ0FMA Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2004 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Impressive antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using this amazing antenna since Feb. 2004.
Boom is impressive: very solid. And the shape of the boom itself (a square) do not allow elements to rotate or swing back and forward.

Performances are higher than expected: F/B and F/R are able to "defend" my receiver from unwanted noises or splatting.

Gain of the antenna is amazing compared to my previous Hy-Gain TH3 and Titanex Logperiodic DLP22.

One coax line and I have 4 bands. No traps.

Installations is so easy. The antenna comes pre-assembled. Packaging is well made.

In few hours i was on air. I have just some adjustments to be completed in refear to the SWR on 10 and 15 meters [i guess the cause is the vicinity of an Hy-Gain VB66DX]