Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | OptiBeam OB17-4 fourbander 40-20-15-10 Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OB17-4 fourbander 40-20-15-10
OptiBeam OB17-4 fourbander 40-20-15-10 Reviews: 21 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $3,875
Description: Description: Extremely efficient trapless Yagi for 40-20-15-10m.
3el on 40 / 4el on 20 / 4el on 15 / 6el on 10.
An absolute "killer beam" !!!
Lossfree shortened 40m elements by computer designed high Q air coils.
40m elements decoupled from other bands by the "OptiBeam decoupling stub technique".
Broadband single 50 Ohm coax cable feed system by the patented "OptiBeam direct coupled driver feed system"
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OB17-4 fourbander 40-20-15-10.

IZ5GST Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2006 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have bought the antenna directly from Tom DF2BO. By the first contacts that I have had I understand the professionality and the availability of the company. When I have received direct to my home the antenna I have seen the qulity of the materials used and the care with was written the assembly handbook. The performances of the antenna after a month of use are exceptional! I was able to contact stations without amplifier that with the previous antenna were not possible. Unfortunately they are not mounted a lot up: it is 20 meters over the ground and only 4 meters over the roof but the performances are always excellets expecially in 40 and 15 meters. I recomand this antenna to anyone wants excellent performances of 4 different monobands on a single boom. Thanks Tom for Optibeam

ZR3OBE Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2006 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality and Service!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the OB17-4 directly from Old Man Thomas (DF2BO) and received only the best service from day one!! He also assisted with a rotator and some cabling and plugs!!! The antenna was professionally packed and well marked for easy assembly!! The odd phone call and e-mail to Thomas was handled promptly, professionally and in a friendly fashion!

The built quality was obviously of the best possible standards and material I have seen in a long time! The assembly was easy because of excellent markings on the boom and a descent manual. Everything fitted perfectly because of the quality material and drillings and the antenna looked professional on the ground. This was noticed by all who saw the antenna on the ground and positively commented upon. All the measurements on the elements were perfect.

After the installation the antenna tested one-hundred-percent and resonated on the appropriate frequencies with the SWR’s as low as advertised! I will be start using it soon for DX but my limited experience with the designer and the quality of the product I’m convinced it is one of the best buys I made in the amateur antenna world!!! I can only highly recommend the product from a service and quality point of view! It looks good int the air! Everything is square, tight and neat - just the way it should and better!

Thanks Thomas for a great product!

YL3DQ Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2006 02:41 Send this review to a friend
Very impressive!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm really happy to have this excellent fourbander on the top of my tower. It is not a cheap project but after the first night on the air with this powerful beam .. wow. All last major DXpeditions and lot of rare stations (YX0, 5W, VU4s, S0, JD and many others) were worked from the first call. Very solid mechanical construction, no problems to put together 2 boxes of aluminium tubes. Manual explains everything you need. No adjustments necessary - SWR better on all bands than in specifications. This spring is very windy here in Riga, antenna stands together with PROSISTEL rotator safely and proudly.
73! and thanks a lot, Tom.
Normunds
YL3DQ

F5HPY Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2006 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellente  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Qui n'a pas révé un jour d'avoir une seule antenne couvrant les principales bandes radioamateur et ce de façon hyperefficace ,Tom DF2BO l'a réalisée.Le fonctionnement et les résultats sont conformes voir supérieurs aux attentes.Un vrai "big gun" sur les 4 bandes avec des résultats stupéfiants sur 40 et 15 metres,excellents sur 20 metres.La propagation actuelle au plus bas sur 28 ne m'a pas permis de tester son efficacité sur cette bande mais nul doute qu'ils doivent être égalements trés bons au regard du reste.La solidité mécanique est aussi un plus,confortant l'expression "Quality made in Germany" Le montage est simple,tous les éléments repérés et préassemblés,même les outils(clés Allen )fournis avec la documentation riche en photos et plans...De toute façon Tom est disponible pour répondre aux interrogations,le Service Aprés Vente bien réel avec une relation amicale et de confiance avec le fabriquant toujours prêt à solutionner les différents problèmes.
En résumé pour moi,probablement la meilleure antenne sans compromis,de fabrication semblant devoir être indestructible.....Un grand merci Tom

IK3UMT Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2005 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Very Good antenna !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a 40mt monobander to stack over my klm kt34xa but its weight and thin mast makes me unhappy.
Browsing web in several antena producer sites, comes in my mind "Optibeam" name and.....an antenna with 4 band in a single boom glows : OB 17-4....I NEED IT !
There are 4 monoband yagi interlaced on same boom, considering every single band, it is a normal antenna , nothig miracolous, but placing all four on same boom and feeding them simultaneously with that gain , f/b and swr was Tom DF2BO's skill !!!
Mechanically, antenna is very good, assembly takes its time cause of element number rather than complexity , all is marked and mistakes are surely avoided.
Electrically, OB17-4 is a good performer, surely not like a 6 or 7 el. long boom yagi but remember this is an extraordinary compromise of number of bands, performances and dimensions !
And...don't forget you have a 3 element on 40mt , if you haven't tried before..what a satisfaction to pick a overseas dx at first call in 7MHz pile-up !!
Thomas DF2BO is always ready to clarify every doubt in specification, assembly and installation with a quick e-mail answer.
Antenna is not cheap , instead it costs many times its pure aluminium value but it worth the result !!
Highly reccomended !

SV9CVY Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2005 03:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent construction with super performance and service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent construction with super performance and service

I have been searching for some time now for a multiband antenna that includes 40m plus the 20-15-10m bands on the same boom to replace my big 2 elem on 40m quad ant. plus the 20-17-15-10m which did not survive the VERY HIGH winds on my QTH which is on the top of the hill overlooking the Mediterranean .Finally I saw the Optibeam site and after a few email with Tom DF2BO I placed the order.

The antenna came in 2 boxes (about 100kg) ,and everything was packed very neat . When I opened the boxes I saw that all screws were stainless steal the boom which is 4 pieces of 3m long square tube (8cm x 8cm }with 3mm walls it is like a Tank , would survive my high winds QTH.
Each of the elem. Consists of several lengths of alum. tubing and are individually packed for easy identification and they are assembled using stainless steal allen type screws .Many of the parts (the 40m band Q coils) are preassembled and that helps putting the antenna all together very easily.

Finally the antenna went up the tower, a shelf supported 24 m high tower (a commercial cellular tower 1.40m x 1.40m) and the rotator prosistel 71 .
After checking the SWR on all bands the antenna was ready for the test.
I start calling CQ and my second qso was with a pedestrian mobile W0RW with 10ft whip in Colorado. And after that many comments like “what are u running there?” ,”what a big signal”, ”how many KWs are you running there?” etc. I knew that the antenna was kicking really good.

On 10m I haven’t spend that much time due to lack of propagation.
On 15m the 4 wide spaced elem. Is like a razor .very sharp lobe with great F/B and the SWR is almost 1.1 in the whole band.(the SWR on the edges I have 1.2 on 21200 and 1.2 on 21400 everywhere else is a nice 1.1)
On 20m the 4 elem. are performing very well .The lobe is not so sharp like on 15m band which is good since when I beam the states I don’t have to move the beam from the west coast to the east coast about 40 degrees (like on 15m band where it has very SHARP LOBE) and the F/B is great.(SWR 14100 1.2 , 14260 1.1, 14350 1.2) with the predrilled holes on SSB setup)
Finally on 40m band, my favored band , the 3 elem. on the 12m long boom are very nice and it compares to my 2 elem. Full size quad that I used to have .(SWR 7040 1.2, 7060 1.1 , 7100 1.2 ) with the predrilled holes on SSB setup.

The antenna mechanically speaking gets a high 5 .
Tom DF2BO the owner of optibeam gets a high 5 since he responded to my all emails the same day providing the right answer to my questions during the assembly time.
Concerning the survivability the antenna gets a high 5 too since a month ago 90km winds (sand storm from Africa) were taking down trees , electric polls etc.
Just keep in mind that you should point the tips of the elem. Towards the wind.

In a few words when I had the BIG quad I always had nightmares because the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning is to get out of the house and look up the tower and see if all the wires and fiberglass arms are still in one piece..
With the OB17-4 things are much more secure and the first thing I do when I get up in the morning is to go outside , hag my dog and then look up……..the tower and admire the state of art design.

No more nightmares and absolutely a terrific performer on 40-20-15-10 m bands.

(I also tried the 6m band and I do have swr 1.1 on 50.100 ,I don’t know the F/B or the gain on this band but on Apr 26 2005 I was working Europeans for more than 4 hours with the OB17-4 100w and the JRC 245)
Previous antennas at my qth was the Force 12 C31XR a nice ant. but no 40m band and CUBEX mantis quad a nice antenna but no good for my VERY HIGH winds location , the 2 elem. on 40m put a big stress on the whole assembly.

73 SV9CVY Michael from the island of Crete
See you in the pile-ups

DJ3FS Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2004 07:10 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I was looking for a high efficient antenna for the conventional bands 40-20-15-10m I pretty soon knew it had to be an OptiBeam Yagi due to the great reputation these Yagis have gained and because of a very decent and excellent consulting by Tom, DF2BO, the owner of OptiBeam.
Though the next smaller version, the OB12-4, is an attractive antenna which interested me as well I finally decided for the OB17-4 as the three elements on 40 are a very attractive parameter. And who would mind to have four full sized elements on 20m, four wide spaced full sized elements on 15m and six full sized elements on 10m in addition?
When the OB17-4 arrived in two boxes and my friends and I had unpacked it we saw three things: a. the antenna consists of many parts, b. it really is a big antenna and c. everything is of outstanding quality.
By assembling the antenna we really enjoyed the well preparation, done at the OptiBeam factory. Many parts are pre assembled and all pieces are perfectly sorted and well labelled.
As soon as the OB17-4 was up on my tower I definitely saw that it was just a beautiful looking antenna, real majestic.
So I said to myself: if it now would even meet the electrical specifications, man, what an antenna I had!
I have to add, due to restrictions by the local authorities I have the antenna up on a tower at only 11 meters (35 feet). My location is pretty much in the free (except to North and North East), but even here a height of only 11 meters is not very promising.
The first check was the SWR on all four bands, and especially on 40m I did not expect to be able to operate without a tuner, because of the low height. How amazed I was to see even on 40m an SWR which was extremely close to the published values which are leaned against a height of 20 meters (68 feet). The other three bands were even better than the published values, I almost couldn’t believe it.
In the next moment I tuned around a bit on 20, 15 and 10m, listened to some pile ups on dx stations and tried to get through. Trying it barefoot (100 W) I often made it with the first or second call. Putting the amplifier on (500 W honestly) all the dx stations asked me „what antenna are you running, you are so extremely loud over here“.
In the same night, being so excited, I played around on 40m, and instead of going to bed around midnight like I had in mind first I stayed up until the sun rose. Whatever I heard I worked by the first call, an calling cq dx myself I quickly had a pile up of JAs, Ws and VEs, South Americans and what not.
And after using the OB17-4 for more than 6 months now all the first positive impressions simply have stabalized.
Electrically and mechanically the OB17-4 is the best antenna you can buy for your money!

GM4YSN Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2004 00:42 Send this review to a friend
17-4 4 BAND YAGI  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i PURCHASED THE 17-4 FROM FROM TOM (DF2BO) 6 MONTHS AGO AFTER MANY EMAILS ENQUIRING ABOUT THE 17-4 YAGI. TOM ANSWERED ALL THE RELEVANT QUESTIONS INCLUDING WAYS OF ERECTING THE BEAST ONTO A TILT-OVER TOWER.
I CAN ONLY MIRROR THE COMMENTS OF PREVIOUS REVIEWS IN THAT THE BUILD QUALITY AND MATERIALS ARE EXCELLENT. I HAVE BUILT MANY YAGI, QUAGI'S AND QUADS IN THE PAST BUT MUST SAY THE PERFORMANCE OF THE OPTIBEAM SURPASSED MY EXPECTATIONS. I FEEL THAT THE PERFORMANCE WAS EQUALLY AS GOOD AS THE BIG MONOBANDERS I USED TO USE.IF THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IT IS EASILY OUTWAYED BY THE FACT YOUR ONLY HAVE ONE ANTENNAE ON THE TOWER. THIS CAN BE IMPORTANT WHEN YOU GET THE 100MPH WINDS THAT CAN AND DO GO THROUGH SCOTLAND IN THE WINTER.
ATTENTION TO DETAIL IS IMPORTANT WHEN BUILDING AN ANTENNAE AND THE WAY THE ELEMENTS PARTS ARE CONSTRUCTED AND PLACED TOGETHER ARE FAR SUPERIOR TO THE USUAL RIVETS AND CLIPS THAT ALLOW THE ELEMENTS TO EVENTUALLY MOVE AND FALL APART.
FIRST CLASS PRODUCT TOM

ON4JZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2004 15:54 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently (4 days ago) joined the club of Optibeam OB17-4 owners.

I changed my X-9, which worked well for the last 5 years, for the OB17-4.

When the 2 boxes were delivered at my QTH, you could already notice how well all parts were packed. The material used is very robust and is ment to last for years.

About the performance I can be brief: OUTSTANDING!!!
The 3el on 40 / 4el on 20 / 4el wide spaced on 15 and 6el on 10 are an absolute "killer beam" and all this with a single 50 Ohm coax cable feed system.

Tom and his wife Diana are very professional and friendly people. No question is too much and the replies by mail does not take days. It's just a matter of minutes.

This antenna is definitely not cheap compaired to others, but on the long run, it pays itself.

For now I even enjoy more DX-ing with my new OB17-4

OE3CBA Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2004 11:32 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Replaced four monobanders (HyGain 5 element Long Johns for 10/15/20 and 3 element Discoverer for 40) by the OB 17-4. No difference in performance can be made out. The OB 17-4 shines with a clean pattern, excellent F/B ratio and due to the decoupling stubs on the 40 meter elements there is no interaction between bands. This was not the case with my monobanders on a single mast.

If you cannot afford the luxury of separate towers for different bands, the OB 17-4 is a superb choice giving you monobander performance on a single boom. Optibeam’s craftsmanship is legendary. By the looks of the antenna you trust that it is built to last.

The gained space on my mast allows the addition of an OB 9-2 for 12/17 meters, and there remains capacity for an OB 2-80 2 element 80 meter beam which will top off the set-up as soon as available.