Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | ICOM SP 20 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SP 20
ICOM SP 20 Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $310.95
Description: External Speaker with 4 audio filters.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM SP 20.

DJ4ND Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2011 10:53 Send this review to a friend
High Quality Speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my second one. I currently run my ICOM IC-7600 through this speaker and it sounds great. I also used one for years with my IC-756proII. Perfect for SSB, CW and general listening to broadcast AM-stations. I never used the filters, didn't feel I needed to. If you want the BEST speaker out there, it's the Icom SP-20. Highly RECOMMENDED!

KD0ZV Rating: 2/5 Mar 18, 2011 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Dissapointment  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not as good as the matching speaker I had for Pro III.

Assume color was for the 781 as it doesnt really match my 7800.

Audio quality poor and when I get time its probably going to go under the knife. It sounds OK when mixed with a sounds sweet speaker which is too basey on its own. My 7800 speaker stuffed under a shelf sounds much better than the SP-20.

Whatever happened to the days manufactures made nice accessories? I guess Yaesu still does.

K5JZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2009 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Best matching speaker out there!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought two SP 20 speakers for my 7800... I also used one for years with my 781. Icom expects that those that wish to seperate their two receivers from a common speaker would either use stereo headphones or would use two SP20's... one on either side of their 7800... to aid in seperating the DX stations transmit frequency from that of the pileup which is calling the DX station.

I absolutely love the sound reproduction that this matching speaker is capable of. I even ordered one for my 7600! Now the SP23... that is a horse of a different color.

K5JZ

W3DCB Rating: 3/5 Jun 12, 2009 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Returned after receiving  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this speaker which is supposed to be "matched" to the Icom IC-7800, an incredible radio. However, I ended up returning it to HRO and buying a 2nd Yaesu SP-9000 for use with my Icom (I also have a Yaesu FTdx9000D with an SP-9000). The Yaesu speaker, SP-9000, has 2 seperate speakers in it with filters and mute switches as well as the ability to send the audio through both at the same time for better fidelity when wanted. You would think that Icom would have thought of this. Are there not 2 seperate receivers with 2 sperate audio outs? A superior radio needs a superior speaker. In order to take advantage of all of the IC-7800 options, you have to purchase 2 speakers or just 1 Yaesu SP-9000. The SP-9000 just about matches the IC-7800 beautifully--just a bit taller, but they look like they were meant for eachother. Try it!

PY1BR Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2009 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Great speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my second one. I don't care about not matching the new rigs. My first Sp-20 I have since 2001. I tried to build speakers but never could have better sound than the SP-20.

M0SUF Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2008 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Good, effective Loudspeaker  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ok not cheap - but I have this speaker in my shack - in the corner to reinforce the lower frequencies and I have not needed to put on a pair of headphones since starting to use it with my 756 Pro3 - surely a fine accolade..

SIERRAHOTEL Rating: 3/5 Mar 20, 2007 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Okay, nothing great, and overpriced  Time owned: more than 12 months
Overpriced, not the greatest sounding speaker, it's well made, and looks good. A friend bought one with a cracked speaker cone in it, and he replaced it with one he bought out of a catalog someplace, and it was a huge improvement over the stock one. The replacement speaker was about 8 bucks.

If you have to have a matching speaker, it's ok, I sold mine for almost what I paid, and never missed it.

NC2F Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2007 19:50 Send this review to a friend
High Quality Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had other speakers in use in my shack, but none as good as the SP-20 is. This is probably the best addition I could have ever made to my shack. The SP-20 allows for 2 radios to be plugged into at once. I am currently using this speaker between my IC-736 and my IC-275H. Let me say the audio this speaker brings into my shack is nothing short of magnificent. The difference is day and night when listening to the internal speaker versus the external SP-20 speaker.

Operation of the SP-20 is a breeze. Simply connect the provided audio cable to between the speaker and your radio and you're in business - that's it. I haven't used the filtering in the speaker all that much, but there have been times when I have used them to make certain stations sound better - and they are quite effective.

Would I buy this speaker again? Absolutely. If you really want to bring out the full sound of your received signals, I would highly recommend you add the iCom SP-20 to your shack.

VE4MM Rating: 4/5 Jan 21, 2007 17:08 Send this review to a friend
VE4MM  Time owned: more than 12 months
YES.....IT SHOULD BE UPDATED TO MATCH THE IC7800 BECAUSE I HAVE HAD A IC7800 FOR 2 YEARS NOW AND STILL HAVE THE SP-20 AND DO NOT USE IT. I STILL HAVE MY IC765 FOR WHICH I BOUGHT THE SP-20 FOR.

K6JPA Rating: 2/5 Jan 21, 2007 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Nice, But Needs Updates  Time owned: more than 12 months
Don't get me wrong.. I have four of these and prefer their sound quality over their competition, but Icom needs to offer updated versions of this speaker. I would suggest that the speaker be offered in a matching color and surface texture for my IC-7800. Also, with the anticipated IC-R9500 due soon, in a matching cream colored case would be an appreciated offering. The IC-7800 has the Icom insignia stamped in the top cover, which would be a nice addition to the speaker. I have not seen a good photo of the anticipated IC-R9500's top cover, but I imagine it will have some form of the insignia as well.

Icom, you make excellent products; however, those of us that spend the money on your new offerings deserve to have the ability to purchase matching accessories. I don't think that's too much to ask...