Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | ICOM SP 20 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SP 20
ICOM SP 20 Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $310.95
Description: External Speaker with 4 audio filters.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM SP 20.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2007 16:58 Send this review to a friend
A Standard  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought it in 1991 to match my ICOM 765. I sold the 765, but kept the SP 20. It now is being used with my 756PRO. It sounds great, flexible, has two inputs, and filters.
It looks great, if you are into full size boxes.

I'll keep the 5 rating, even tho it doesn't match the current radio sizing..

Works well with my KWM-2A also..

W8ATT Rating: 2/5 Jan 8, 2007 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Good but doesn't match 756PIII  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Audio quality is grade A but DOES NOT match the 756 Pro III. Radio is Black & Speaker is grey. Speaker size is NOT proportional to radio. I know I'm anal but when you spend good money for a Pro III you want it to match. Was quite disappointed with match when it is shown as a optional speaker but will keep it because of its sound quality.

PA3HGT Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2006 03:25 Send this review to a friend
Good speaker  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The SP20 is looking and sounds OK.I think that the filters in the low end are not doing much.The unit is overpriced and that's why i give it a 4.

KI4NHB Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2006 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Sound in a Bullet-Proof Package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based largely on the reviews here I ordered an SP-20 to go along w/ my new IC-746 PRO. I think it's an outstanding albeit expensive speaker. My first impression when I unpacked it was man, this is a lot bigger than I thought. Bigger as in length. It's about a foot long so make sure you have space for it. The cabinet is solidly built, looks almost like a Mil-Spec piece of gear. But of course the bottom line is sound, and to me it does really well. About the best sound for an AM/SSB/CW speaker in my experience. I don't find the filters all that useful though I use the LPF1, the wider of the 2 low pass filters on occasion. Yes it's overpriced, but if your looking for great sound in a bullet-proof cabinet check it out.

W5DAG Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2006 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Very good external speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I connected my ICom SP-20 external speaker to my IC-746pro and IC-718 HF rigs. The sound on FM, SSB, and CW was much better than with the rigs' internal speakers and the audio filters worked well, especially when combined with each rig's DSP filters and noise reduction circuitry. I especially enjoy having the ability to select between the two radios with a simple push of a button, and the audio out jack passes rig audio directly to my Rigblaster Plus for digital operations, even when the speaker is off. The extra 1/4" headphone jack up front is nice, too. Finally, it matches all my ICom gear nicely. I'm very pleased with this item.

W7KPQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2006 14:27 Send this review to a friend
One Fine Speaker  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've tried any number of speakers and the SP20 is the best one out there. The Sounds Sweet, sounds sweet for AM but has WAY too much base for SSB. The Icom SP23 doesn't hold a half-a-candle to the SP20. I have directly compared the SP20 and SP23, and the SP20 has a much fuller, richer sound without too much base that the Sounds Sweet has--too much base. And the audio filters are handy also. If you want the BEST speaker out there, it's the SP20.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2006 13:30 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST Speaker for the Shack  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok, I bought it in 1991 to match my ICOM 765, and I don't remember paying an excessive amount for it.
It sounds great, flexible, has two inputs, and filters.
It looks great, if you are into full size boxes.
Would I pay full price for a new one today? Yea, because I know how nice they are. If I never had one, I would say, NO WAY!

MIKEAMIC Rating: 4/5 Dec 22, 2005 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice - Not Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a unit with a large speaker so I focused on the ICOM SP-20 and the Yeasu SP-8. Both units look nice and I made my decision to buy the SP-20 based upon reviews presented here.

I was disappointed with the speaker size on the SP-20. It's advertised with a five inch speaker. The actual speaker diameter measures just a tad over four inches. Apparently, the industry measures diameter differently than I do.

It's a nice speaker system but as others have mentioned, the SP-20 is overpriced, used or new. I found used ones going for $180 + on e-bay and a new one for $200 on sale at gigaparts.com. So why take the risk -- I bought the new one with warranty, etc. You can buy a good inexpensive $30 bookshelf speaker that sounds about the same. The extra $170 gets you a sturdy metal cabinet, four audio filters, two selectable inputs, an on/off switch and an additional output. It's up to the individual to determine if these features are worth the extra money.

I found the sound tinny on my JRC NRD-545. Sound is deep, rich and full on my stock ICOM R75. A graphics equalizer helps out significantly on the NRD-545. But who wants to hook up additional equipment if you don't need too. Clearly, the source audio makes a big impact on sound quality - as expected with any speaker system.

I love the fact that an external power source isn't needed with the SP-20. Both the NRD-545 and the R75 have enough power to drive the SP-20 without problems. The filters work reasonably well - although, I'd like to cut a little more hiss out of the audio. But I'm still satisfied with the performance.

I'd like to give the SP-20 a 4.5 score because all in all, it's a good looking unit that's well built and performs well with a good audio source. Unfortunately, a 4.5 isn't an option. If you don't want or need the bells and whistles, then save some money and get a less expensive speaker.

Still curious about the SP-8 though.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2005 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love my Icom equipment and I bought my SP-20 off of ePay, er, eBay (quite cheaply), a long time ago to go with my (then new 756PRO). It has always sounded great. When I purchased my IC-761 it was a perfect match. Yes, they are expensive, and no, I'd never buy one new.
But the bottom line is they work and sound great. I have literally dozens of speakers here in my shack. From el-cheapo PC speakers to BIG Akai stereo speakers.
Find one that needs a paint job (like I did) and you'll be real happy.

ron

N4UE

p.s. Also see my review of the MFJ-281....

WB9YCJ Rating: 3/5 Aug 29, 2005 01:43 Send this review to a friend
Over Priced & Over Rated  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over priced and Over Rated..... Its amazing how so many products get a 5/5 review here at Eham just cause some Hams are automatically "Biased" after spending their money. This speaker can cost you up to $250 plus shipping at some Ham dealers. I have owned at least two of them and dont regret selling them. Yes, I admit they looked good next to my R-9000 and IC-781 but when I hooked up these same radios to a "sounds sweet" it was a no brainer to "off" the SP-20. You see, I dont keep good money tied up in unused ham gear (sp-20). Even at $180 on the used market they are still overpriced. Consider a "Soundsweet".