Reviews Categories | Tools & Test Equipment for the amateur radio work bench | Peak LCR Passive Component Analyzer Help

Reviews Summary for Peak LCR Passive Component Analyzer
Peak LCR Passive Component Analyzer Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $79 UK - 130 US
Description: The Atlas LCR automatically identifies and analyses almost any passive component (Inductor, Capacitor or Resistor). It measures it's main parameters using automatically selected test frequencies (DC, 1kHz, 15kHz and 200kHz)..

Inductors from 1uH to 10H, Capacitors from 1pF to 10,000uF and Resistors from 1R to 2MR are supported. Basic accuracy is 1%, display resolution is typically 4 significant figures. Universal test probes are detachable, allowing use of many different probe types including SMD Tweezer Probes, Croc Clips and Long Reach Grabbers. Inductance resolution is as low as 0.4uH, Capacitance resolution is as low as 0.4pF and Resistance resolution is as low as 0.3 ohms
More info: http://www.peakelec.co.uk/

You can write your own review of the Peak LCR Passive Component Analyzer.

N4KDJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2016 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Great Support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have an older model and test lead connection became unsoldered from the board. I sent an email about the design to the mfg. and they said they had improved the design and sent me a new board. Wow what great service!

The product works great and is really useful in kit building to verify component values. I bought a 4 pack of batteries on amazon after battery died on a Sunday.

G1HBE Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2011 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine about 3 years ago here in the UK for 70 and I can't imagine how I managed without it! No more guessing those inductors, no more trying to read the smudged, tiny print on those capacitors you bought at the rally. When my Topband vertical was wrecked in a storm, I was able to measure the loading coil's inductance so I could wind a new one easily without all that cut-and-try. Just a couple of complaints - the batteries don't last long and I wish it could measure smaller values of inductance.

KC2KCF Rating: 4/5 Feb 20, 2011 04:48 Send this review to a friend
Some weaknesses  Time owned: more than 12 months
Overall, I like this little instrument, although it certainly isn't very rugged mechanically and feels like a cheap toy. Beyond these subjective perceptions, there are some things that bother me:

1) The instrument runs on a small 12V battery with a TINY capacity. I have to replace it way too often, and of course only notice it's getting weak when I have no spares around. The battery, while not difficult to get, is still exotic enough that I do not find it in many shops. (It's also not exactly a cheap battery.) Compared to other handheld instruments that run on a 9V block for several years, this is a bit of a nuisance.

2) The accuracy is specified as "typically" 1.5%. That's a not too useful specification. I understand that the accuracy may vary considerably as the readings are calculated from some measured data. But the manual does not state what is actually measured (i.e., magnitudes? phases?) and how measurement values are converted to the displayed readings, which makes it impossible to assess the accuracy/reliability of a measurement. This would be trivial to fix by just providing better documentation!

3) While this is not strictly a flaw (as the specifications mention it), the instrument is not good for measuring small inductances (i.e. everything below a microhenry, and it is doubtful how accurate results are for a few microhenries). This considerably reduces the usefulness of the instrument for inductors used in resonant circuits for HF and beyond.

But overall, not a bad unit.

2E0AYQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2004 03:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Piece of kit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is one of best purchases I have ever made
great for checking components very accurate 1%
also great for checking the Inductance of
Coils.
Very Compact you can slip it in your pocket

If you are a homebrewer like myself
This is a must buy.
For what this device can measure makes it an
absolute bargain

K9FTB Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2004 21:05 Send this review to a friend
1% Accuracy, Fast, Simple  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this LCR meter since building my K2 and accy.'s. Also had the AADE L/C meter - this is much better. Made in England and it works great. Hook up any passive component and the meter will identify the type of component, and provide it's value. So far it hasn't been wrong. I've also got a Fluke 189 that measures capacitance, and they match very closely for the capacitors I've tested. The battery is a 12 Volt alkaline, which available in the US as the GP23A or MN21A.

LCD display is very readable and the unit is very simple to operate - hookup the component, push the button, within 5 seconds read the results. Can be calibrated by the vendor to provide traceable calibration.

This is a once in a lifetime purchase. Based on the exchange rate between the pound the dollar, mine was about $130 at the time I purchased.

The vendor sent it registered insured, so this requires a trip to the post office to pick it up, along with proof of ID.

Excellent product - I'd buy again.