Reviews Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | CABLEMATIC UT8000 COAX CUTTER Help

Reviews Summary for CABLEMATIC UT8000 COAX CUTTER
CABLEMATIC UT8000  COAX CUTTER Reviews: 22 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $25.05 retail
Description: This handy tool makes working with coax (RG8/RG213) a breeze. Now it is easy to make your own jumpers...quick, clean, and painless. An asset to any ham who solders his own cable.... Available directly from Wireless Solutions, of Hunt Valley, MD. 800-999-7699. They take credit cards. Their SKU for this tool is 432414.
More info: http://www.eham.net/articles/5071

You can write your own review of the CABLEMATIC UT8000 COAX CUTTER.

VE3GLA Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2008 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Works fine for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for quite a long time and have made many cables with it. It works wonderfully for RG-213 but I wish it would work a bit better for Bury-flex (slightly twists inner conductor).

You need two cutting steps with this tool. The first cut requires a fair amount of work on the part of the user, since the tool is cutting through the sheath, the outer braid and the insulation. I think most people who complain about dull blades are surprised about the work required to do this step and may be blaming it on dull blades (I know I did when I first got it, and changed the blade but it didnt make much difference). However, once you get the hang of it, you can get neat, clean cuts every time, at least for RG-213. The second cut, which removes the sheath to expose the braid, is much easier.

I'm keeping mine.

K4MC Rating: 1/5 Nov 18, 2008 05:39 Send this review to a friend
Revised review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally reviewed this tool and gave it a 4/5. After using it a little more, a 1/5 is pushing it. Since the co-ax is feed into the cutter as it cuts, the cut is spiral. This results in the strands of shield being left long and bent down in a spiral. After cutting with the DXE-UT-8213 (AKA "Cablematic UT8000), the shield strands must be straightened and trimmed with nippers before a PL-259 can be installed.

As I noted in a review as the Cablematic, the blades will dull quickly.

If you want a useful co-ax trimming tool, look toward the plastic type with multiple adjustable cutting blades as sold by AES.

This tool is now a new color and being marketed as a DX Enginering DXE-UT-8213.

VE2FET Rating: 0/5 Oct 28, 2008 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Total money and time wasted  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Does not work for sure on my LMR-400 Ultraflex.

Looks like DX Engineering is no longer selling the UT-8000 Wonder why.

Would be happy to get a refund... Dreaming.

VE2FET

AG5Q Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2008 22:08 Send this review to a friend
I like it!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had nothing but success with this tool. I've used it on Belden 9913, 8214, and TM LMR400 with success. Also used it on old, creepy RG-8...

I haven't replaced blades yet, but have noticed that the first cut is requiring more torque than it used to. I expected this. Any metal edge that is used to cut another metal will dull relatively fast.

I wish my fillet knife used to clean the day's catch would hold an edge as long as my UT8000! I'm a fan of it!

K2MK Rating: 2/5 Nov 30, 2007 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Not worth it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased the UT8000 from DX Engineering and had similar experiences. The first cut, which goes through the braid, worked ok the first time, poorly the second time, and not at all the third time. But the second cut, which cuts the outer vinyl away from the braid works beautifully. That is the only thing preventing me from giving it a zero rating. In fact, the second cut is the one that gives me the most trouble. I usually nick the braid when I use a box cutter which makes final assembly difficult.

KK0K Rating: 2/5 Nov 27, 2007 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Good Design, Bad Blades  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a UT8000 about two months ago. Last week I used it for the first time to install six PL259 connectors on three patch cables I was building. The coax I used for the patch cables was Belden 8214 (RG-8/U type). Using the UT8000 I was able to install the first PL259 within 5 minutes, including tinning the coax braid and soldering the connector to the coax. The cuts made by the UT8000 were clean and neat. Installing the second connector did not go as well. More effort was required to use the UT8000 the second time, and the cuts were less neat. It was necessary to clean up the coax braid with small diagonal cutters before tinning and installing the PL259. Installation of the third PL259 did not go well at all. The UT8000 snagged and tore the braid rather than cutting it cleanly, requiring extensive use of a diagonal cutter to clean up the mess. I removed the “first cut” blade from the UT8000 and found that its cutting edge had deformed and chipped – this after only THREE uses. I finished installing the remaining three PL259s using a box cutter to trim the coax braid and insulation. Replacement blades are available from DX Engineering at $12.95 for a package of 2. As a previous reviewer suggested, the blades can also be sharpened, but you need to use small “Swiss” files or small stones. The re-sharpening process, if done properly, is tedious and, realistically, not a practical solution. Although the body of the UT8000 is well made, as long as rapid blade dulling continues to be an issue, I would not recommend the product. I rated this product a “2” instead of a “0” because I can still use the “second cut” end to trim the cable jacket to expose the braid after using a box cutter to expose the cable center conductor.

W3OZ Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2007 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Good, But  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got one for all the new coax runs I was going to do. I thought that if it cut 213 it would cut LMR-400. Big mistake. Works fine on RG-8 and RG-213 but makes a mess off LMR-400. I have tried several things other hams have told me to make the device usable on LMR-400 but it did no good at all, still a mess. So if you have RG-8 or 213 it is a great device for other stuff, save your money.

W7SPK Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2007 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Freakin Rad!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These things are not only really cool but fun. I've wasted probably 20 feet of RG8 just goofing around with it.

I got a Cablematic ST-400 many years ago from my old job installing wireless 802.11b stations. When I figured out what it was for, I was hooked! Still have the ST-400 today but never use it. Might sell it on eBay.

Because I fell in love with the ST-400 I bought the UT8000. Works like a pencil sharpener and saves a lot of time. I'm terrible at stripping coax and would be lost without this. Like any knife, the blades do dull but can be lightly sharpened using a file. DX Engineering sells replacement blades for like $12.

A Very cool and very useful tool!

N8QZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2006 05:47 Send this review to a friend
WOW!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased this cutter over a year ago but never used it. Recently I decided to install a remote coax switch and needed to trim some of the RG8/U lines coming to the box.
I reviewed the instruction with the unit, but remember that I had saved the article http://www.eham.net/articles/5071
from eHam.net
This info is priceless. I used the cutter as instructed and was amazed at the clean cut and just pushed the braid back before inserting the connector. If you "screw" on the connector, not only will the inner conductor just appear at the end of the barrel, but the coax braid will come under the solder holes of the PL 259.

I prepared a half dozen 259's and checked for shorts . . . none. I then went to my existing cables and made a list for future replacements. The blades are sharp and it is important to remove the debris from the cutter after each cut.

The use of a vise to hold the coax and PL 259 is highly recommended!!

KE4WY Rating: 1/5 Jul 13, 2006 05:08 Send this review to a friend
Waste of money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Waste of money. I began using it to change out several old coax runs at my location. Blades are already dull & render tool useless.

I will go back to the old fashion way.