Reviews Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | CABLEMATIC UT8000 COAX CUTTER Help

Reviews Summary for CABLEMATIC UT8000 COAX CUTTER
CABLEMATIC UT8000  COAX CUTTER Reviews: 22 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $25.05 retail
Description: This handy tool makes working with coax (RG8/RG213) a breeze. Now it is easy to make your own jumpers...quick, clean, and painless. An asset to any ham who solders his own cable.... Available directly from Wireless Solutions, of Hunt Valley, MD. 800-999-7699. They take credit cards. Their SKU for this tool is 432414.
More info: http://www.eham.net/articles/5071

You can write your own review of the CABLEMATIC UT8000 COAX CUTTER.

N4OYO Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2006 04:59 Send this review to a friend
Blades dull quickly  Time owned: months
Quality tool but I've found two shortcommings.

First, the blade for the "first cut" dulls rather quickly and if used after that point produces poor cuts.

Second, the rotation of the cutter blade pushes the braid shield long by pushing it down rather than cutting it off. After the outer cover is trimmed back in the last step, the braid must be straightened out and trimed with dikes.

WU1T Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2005 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Very nice..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up both a UT8000 and a UT5800. The UT8000 works great with my Belden 9913F7. You'll need to practice half a dozen times to get a feel for how the tool works. After that, though, you can prep your cable for a PL259 in about 30 seconds. It works fantastic.. I wish I had one of these one I first got licensed, and spent endless frustrating hours messing with coax and PL259's. Now it's a snap.

The tool is simple and sturdy and so long as blades are available, will probably last a lifetime.

I bought my cutters through www.shopjavaco.com. Easy online ordering, and fast shipping.

I wish they made one of these for RG8X, which is my favorite coax for wire antennas.

WW3S Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2005 19:18 Send this review to a friend
if u don't have one, GET ONE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
absolutely the best tool to have when working with coax...including 213....2 new feedlines from switch to antennas and one from shack to switch, plus a few small jumpers...all perfect cuts...and in record time.

KJ9A Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2005 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this item after reading the reviews. All I can say is that it works perfectly on RG-213 and RG8 coax.

I can't believe I didn't buy this sooner.

KG4ZCH Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2005 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Best $20 I've spent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After struggling last weekend, I got the UT8000...what a difference! It helps you to build your jumpers and coax connections in minutes and perfect sizing.

I think that this is my favourite tool in the shack. It saves you time, finger pain and money.

A must have.

KG4ZCH Alberto

N1FYQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2005 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Gotta love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love simple tools that do a great job. This is certainly one of those. After reading the article and reviews here I ordered one from shopjavaco.com ($23.99). It was quickly shipped and I received it in time to do a complete re-cabling of my shack which included 3 runs of 9913F7 and one of RG-213. It seems to work magically on solid dielectric cables. The foam dielectric of the 9913 required a bit more effort but it certainly beat doing it by hand. No complaints here.

WW3S Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2005 16:40 Send this review to a friend
works fb for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Tried it on 213 and bury fles with no problems. Best 20 bux I ever spent. Makes the cuts in 30 seconds or less and they are perfect....try Sunset Enterprises at 800-900-9879 as their price is around 19.50 plus shipping.

W8AII Rating: 3/5 Dec 1, 2004 10:39 Send this review to a friend
So So...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Without a doubt, the UT8000 Coax cutter performs like a champ... On "RG-8" cable. They also advertise that it works on RG-213 as well... I purchased 1000' of RG-213 to replace all of my existing antenna coax runs and also bought the UT8000 Coax cutter... Guess what??? it does not work on RG-213 as advertised. The cable diameter is larger than the tool ID... Either I am doing something wrong, or it just doesn't work on RG-213. If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me what it is. I also purchased the UT5800 and it works like gang busters...

W2NSF Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2004 10:04 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Tool!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is the best cable prep device I've used.
It makes doing up RG-8 cables a breeze (I never thought I'd say that!).

You can also find one at:
www.tessco.com
www.sunsetenterprises.com

K4EQQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2004 05:41 Send this review to a friend
I Wish I had this 25 Years Ago!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Recently, I decided to replace all the coax with Davis RF Bury Flex for both HF and VHF/UHF in my shack. Since I was going to be doing a lot of connector work, I decided to avoid the fight and try this product to help with the prep of the cable ends.

As another reviewer mentioned, I called the Wireless Source and ordered the stripper and Bam, the task of preping coax for new connectors.

Great product and it's a once in a lifetime purchase.

Be sure to look for the article here on Eham.net that someone had written about PL-259's and using the UT8000 to prep the coax. There are excellent photos and good detailed instructions.