Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Yaesu SP 8 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu SP 8
Yaesu SP 8 Reviews: 60 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $173.00
Description: External speaker with filter.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu SP 8.

AB7MC Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2014 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice ext. spkr.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using this SP-8 for more than five years. Two years ago I made a modification by changing the speaker to Tang Band 8 Ohms same size but bigger magnet from Parts Express. The speaker alone cost me $32.00 plus shipping. I notice the big improvement because the new speaker has a bigger magnet. When West Mountain Radio release their new DSP/CLR-949 I immediately bought one from HRO. Now I am very very satisfied with my audio receive using FT-1000MP, FT-950 & IC-7410. Take note: My antenna is only a regular dipole.

WA2E Rating: 4/5 Jun 4, 2013 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Not bad at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not perfect but I would give it a 4.5 compared to other ham speakers I've tried. Initially I wasn't thrilled but was happy I purchased it used. The trick as some others have said is foam. I completely filled the entire empty space. Totally changed the sound for the good. Of course it matches up perfectly with my MKV Field.

Mike

K1SMA Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2013 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Good speaker!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm also wondering why this speaker doesn't have better ratings. I bought mine used from a fellow ham. I've had it over a year now. I used a Cobra hg-s500 with noise cancelling before, which is loud but noise cancelling isn't much. This one has great filters, it's SO much quieter than the Cobra or the radio speaker as far as static and noise.

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2012 13:31 Send this review to a friend
love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Include me in the group of folks who can't understand why this speaker doesn't have better reviews. I operate a 756 Pro II and used the SP-3 Icom speaker for at least a year. It's one of the highest rated speakers on this site. And deservedly so. But I like this Yaesu a bit better. The SP-3 didn't perfectly match the rig - different colors but size-wise it did. This Yaesu is a pretty decent match - great match in color though. I can only say how nice the audio is.. and having a place to plug my phones into the speaker is a plus.

K6RWM Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2012 00:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Sound  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This speaker sounds great and is a huge improvement over the internal speaker on my Yaesu FT-950. The automatic settings for CW and SSB work just fine, but using the manual settings really provides better readability on the audio coming from the radio.
As pointed out, buying new is a bit pricey, but they can be had on eHam, QRZ, and eBay at a much better price.
You won't be sorry adding this to your Yaesu radio.
73s - K6RWM

W0LD Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2012 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Full rich audio.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The speaker does all it is asked to do. The filters are good for SSB and give full fidelity. It is not a "high accentuated" receiver like a lot of communications speakers tend to be. I can't figure out why people are down on this speaker.

K9TWO Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2012 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have lots of speakers and this one along with my Ten-Tec speaker sound the best. I have mine
connected to my Icom 7600 and Jupiter. Don't know
why the bad reviews. I think the Yaesu and Ten-Tec is a toss up.

W9ZO Rating: 4/5 Jun 4, 2011 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Good overall  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The price is high, but the speaker does what I wanted.
I think some users are confused about the use of this speaker.
The controls let you select :
MANUAL - There are adjustments for LOW or HIGH cut.This is for AM operation.

SSB - Factory -preset audio tailoring for SSB

CW - Factory - preset audio tailoring for CW

A/B switch allowing connection to 2 Receivers

I would have given a 5 except for the price.

N3TX Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2011 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Very nice Speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has been an excellent speaker for me. I have many speaker before, like sp-23 and few from kenwood and I think this Yaesu Speaker is one of the best

F4FYJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2010 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi,

The Yaesu SP8 is better than my Icom SP23 matched with an Icom IC-7400.
Filters work really