Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Yaesu SP 8 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu SP 8
Yaesu SP 8 Reviews: 61 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $173.00
Description: External speaker with filter.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu SP 8.

F4FYJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2010 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi,

The Yaesu SP8 is better than my Icom SP23 matched with an Icom IC-7400.
Filters work really

Happy new year

Eric

EI4GMB Rating: 3/5 Nov 18, 2010 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Just OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Yaesu SP 8 as a companion speaker for my FT-920 transceiver. It cost 89 second-hand from a dealer in the U.K. I have it 3 years now and have never found it more than just OK. In fact it offers no great improvement on my rig's internal speaker. The CW filters are good and it certainly looks great beside my radio. But that's it as far as I'm concerned. Nothing to write home about.

K4JC Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2010 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Good but pricey!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A couple of years ago I used a Yaesu SP-8 with my FT-1000MP and it did a fine job. But it was rather expensive! Now I have an FT-920 and use a $20 center channel speaker from a surround sound system (it's designed for vocal frequencies), and it sounds just as good as the $150 SP-8! It looks good, too. If you can get a bargain on an SP-8 and want a speaker that matches the design of your rig, go for it! But I sure wouldn't pay retail for one.

F4EPP Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2009 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Very good HP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have tried this HP for the first time at a local Radio Club. I wouldn't have never spent so much money for an HP without that experience. And I did it because there's a big difference compared to the internal radio speakers.

I can't use my yaesu internal speakers anymore since I purchased this SP-8. It works great with all type of transceivers and filters works great with a lot of diferent settings.

I work in an underground train station, a very noisy environment and my ears are sometimes very sentive. The HF SSB background noise usually hurt my ears and that HP greatly makes that noise much more pleasant.

I also always use the earphone jacks of this HP, they allow more volume in the earphones and enhance the audio quality.

It's incredible how empty this HP box is ! But It works great and I love the design. Looks great in a clean shack...

I give it a 4 because of the price.

73's

WA2QIC Rating: 3/5 Jul 22, 2009 21:35 Send this review to a friend
Grossly overpriced avg speaker at best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Aesthetically, I wanted the matching external speaker for my FT-1000MP. So I got what I wanted. The retail price new was ridiculous, but I was more ridiculous for paying it.

Most of the time I find the filters entirely useless with no discernible change in audio from one setting to the next (I operate mostly CW).

Haven't tried the foam stuffing suggestion, but I will.

So I blew a nice chunk of change on a speaker box that matches my rig, looks good in the shack, and sounds just OK. Would I do it again? Probably not.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2009 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Communications Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Greetings to all, first off let me say that I am in no way shape or form a speaker guru. I know what I like and what I don't. Now then, to me the Yaesu SP-8 speaker sounds great! This speaker is even better sounding than the Icom SP-23 speaker I bought when I bought my 756 ProIII and accessories.

This speaker ain't no HiFi speaker, its not meant to be, was never designed to be. I've not had any of the tinny sounds that so many of the nay sayers of this speaker report. I've found too that this speaker is less fatiguing than a lot of the other speakers that have passed through the shack. My external speakers for my 2 HF rigs are the Icom SP-3, a really great speaker in its own rite, and the SP-8. Its really a great communications speaker, My rig is on from around 7:00AM until I go to bed around midnight, so this speaker does get its use on a daily basis. Its even wife approved, that is worth it, my wife(non ham) is very approving of my hobby, she has helped me when I haven't been able to get any one over to help me when needed. My wife also thinks that this is a very good looking speaker. So there you go a great speaker thats wife approved.

73 de Mark
W3LZK

PA1FJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 18, 2009 15:36 Send this review to a friend
Good!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The sound will be good afther I put a pice of foam on the inside of the back of the cabinet.

KB3LAZ Rating: 2/5 Jun 13, 2008 00:26 Send this review to a friend
Not for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
This speaker has horrible audio!!
Its as if its hollow(and it is).
Also its all treble.
As for the filters they are less than functional.
Its a good speaker if its on fm and your listening to your local radio station. However for SSB its terrible. My 12$ uniden Bear Cat scanner speaker out performs it by far. Which is very sad for the price difference. A .99c speaker is still a .99c speaker even if its an a 100$ box!

W2JLB Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2008 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Really Good Speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the SP-8 connected to my FT-1000MP Mark V. It is not cheap but neither is the Mark V. I've had it for 5 years. I'm 68 years old and it sounds great to me. Not tinny at all. I have made no modifications. I mostly run it in the SSB mode. Of course we all know that sound, very much like colors, cars etc. are very subjective. This speaker by no means deserve some of the very negative comments I've read here.

W5FZ Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2008 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Generally Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has been an excellent speaker with the filters, switch, and two output jacks. However, this last two to three weeks the small 1/8 headphone jack has become faulty. Fine for the headset, but remove the headset plug and no audio out of the speaker unless tapped on physically. Could change the Phone Jack Unit, but cannot unplug the black/white two wire pair from the circuit board at JP3001. Not even sure if I can get the part. More later....