Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar AT1KD Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT1KD
Palstar AT1KD Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$369
Description: Antenna Tuner with Digital Led display
More info: http://www.palstar.com/palmain.htm

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT1KD.

WA1SEO Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2009 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was deciding whether or not to build, buy, or modify a less expensive unit when this tuner was made available to me for a good price.

My requirements were simple: Be able to tune my 80 meter, ladder line fed, dipole on all bands (including 160). I was going to be happy with 80-10, however.

I use an external Balun Designs 4:1 Balun so the internal one wasn't of much concern. I use an ALS-600 so I didn't need a "high power" tuner.

Results: This tuner works very well. The controls are smooth and are operated easily. Even though this has a differential capacitor, I do sometimes find more than one setting that achieves a low (<1.5:1) VSWR match. I use a Bird 43 watt-meter when operating barefoot or the VSWR meter in my amp. The LED display looks pretty as my kids say, but it isn't the easiest to tune with.

Bottom line: It works like it is supposed to although the LED's aren't the easiest to use.

73 WA1SEO

EI3GSB Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2008 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Superb tuner!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my AT1KD back in June with some spare parts from an American owner and since getting it back to my shack in Dublin I am very pleased with it so far.

The first thing I did was to lubricate the roller inductor rod, it was very squeaky!, and clean the inductor contact wheel as well as the turns on the inductor itself. I also found that the large tune handle on the front was very smooth, maybe from usage?, and was a little awkward to comfortably turn so I replaced it with the spare one which had a better 'grip'.

With the above jobs done and using the tuner in conjunction with an LP-100A digital wattmeter I can achieve some very good SWR readings and power output. Far and away better than the internal tuners on my TS-690 and TS-850. As a previous review mentioned, the accuracy of the LED readout may not be the most accurate but when you've made a note of the settings for each band it's very easy to get a 'close enough' reading and then fine tune using the LP-100A, well... that's how I do it!

Having bought an amplifier last year I needed a tuner that could handle the higher loads and I'm delighted with this particular model, pity Palstar don't make them any more, they're not that easy to find either, I was lucky to find mine and it's a keeper!!

KC2GUY Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2005 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Supurb  Time owned: months
I wanted the 'D ' model for this tuner as I liked the design, with the LEDS which match nicely with my
Alpha 99. I usually run around 600 watts, however, I have easily put through 1000+ watts on this tuner SSB when the SWR is low. Having used a few tuners in the past, this product is hands down the best. Best looking, smoothest to operate, and easily tunes
my random wire antenna of 135 feet on 160 meters as well as 80 meters. This is the first time I was ever able to get out on 160 with this antenna. I also use it to fine tune my Hustler vertical. The
unique design of this tuner makes using it a simple, quick and fun task. This is a quality built unit. If you need an antenna tuner, THINK PALSTAR, you will not go wrong.

AB2EZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2005 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Very nice... as expected of Palstar  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this tuner to "trim up" the match on my coax-fed dipoles... which are all cut to be resonant on the low-frequency (CW) ends of their, respective bands. The internal autotuner on my main transceiver was working too hard and taking too long to find a match to my antennas when I used them on 75 meter (AM window) and 40 meter (AM window) frequencies where the SWR exceeded 3:1. I'm not using it to tune into the types of highly reactive loads that one might encounter with something like a center-fed doublet, fed with ladder line on 160 meters. I would have selected a balanced-balanced tuner for those types of tasks.

I wanted a tuner that was compact (I'm only using 800 watts, maximum), of high quality, and quick to tune. I also wanted a tuner that would look good in my shack.

This tuner meets all of my requirements. It works like a charm. It is easy to tune. The controls are smooth. The physical design (appearance, ruggedness) is excellent.

This is my fifth Palstar product. As expected, I am very happy with it. In fact, because of their great products and excellent customer service: whenever I need something for the shack, and Palstar makes it... then Palstar will always be my first choice.

KG5I Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2004 03:21 Send this review to a friend
Nice Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this tuner for a few months. I required a tuner since I bought this amp. I drive about 600-800 watts thru it without any trouble. The digital SWR/Power meter makes tuning a snap. This is a quality built unit and looks very good on desk. It's big; about the same size as my IC-746. I really like the built-in antenna switch. It has two tuned PL-259, 1 bypass PL-259, and one balanced line 4:1 for ladder line.

VE2-FFP Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2004 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Best i ever had.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been experimenting with it for one week now and i must say that for a research of about 1 month to get the best antenna coupler my money could buy i am very positively satisfied. I fell in love with the lighting system ... it's just great. I own a modest station but i was mature to have a great quality coupler that could accompany me in my experimentation with wire antennas. The quality of construction is indeed there as other collegues on this site has mentionned in there reviews. I will continue to support this companie in the future. Merci ! Palstar. Francois VE2FFP.

W5ZZG Rating: 4/5 Apr 24, 2004 19:27 Send this review to a friend
great tuner, so so wattmeter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As a tuner this thing is great. Tuning is very fast with the bar graph indications as they are easy to read. The wattmeter indications, however, seems to be approximate. For the price, I still think this tuner is a good buy for not much money.