Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | NEC2GO Help

Reviews Summary for NEC2GO
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Antenna modeling software
More info: http://www.nec2go.com

You can write your own review of the NEC2GO.

K0WFS Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2013 10:15 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I met W0OPW, Pat, at a local MN hamfest where he was demo'ing NEC2GO to passers by. I was immediately impressed with the user interface; specifically how easy it was to take an example design and tweak it for your own needs. If you enjoy modeling antennas and want to get deep into the details, NEC2GO has excellent documentation and Pat is always available to answer questions. I have modeled and built several antennas with NEC2GO and I really appreciate its ability to optimize a design for you - a real time saver. This is the idea software for those who want to get right down to the modeling and building of antennas.

WB2LYL Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2009 07:00 Send this review to a friend
A Very Sophisticated Program  Time owned: more than 12 months
NEC2GO is indeed a very sophisticated program yet it is very intuitive and easy to use. In addition, W0OPW, Pat, the creator of the program has taken the time to document the various functions within the software. Documentation is complete, easy to read and understand. To top it off, pointing the cursor to what you have a question about, press F-1 and you will be taken to the "Help Screen" and the related documentation.

I've been using NEC2GO for 3 years and found that I quickly climbed the learning curve. On a few occasions I still had a question after reading the documentation and found that Pat responds to e-mail inquiries usually within a few hours, sometimes quicker.

The program is very powerful and has enabled me to design and build some pretty unusual antennas. I live in a community with an antenna restriction therefore the standard type of antenna is not allowed. I have designed several very successful antennas using NEC2GO. When built, they perform exactly as predicted by the software. I have also designed some terrible antennas as well. Fortunately NEC2GO demonstrated that they were a poor design and I was able to avoid the waste of time and money building those antennas.

Last but not least....... I have learned much about antenna design, electromagnet field theory and how rf currents flow within an antenna and surrounding structures.

You certainly get a multi-fold return on the investment when you buy NEC2GO. The best part is that Pat is improving the software and adding additional fuctionality each year. FREE !! Updates are at no cost to you as long as you own the software.

I highly recommend NEC2GO to any HAM or professional who is interested in antennas.

WB2LYL
Wayne
...

K4ELO Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2009 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used various other modeling programs before, but I like this one the best. It has features the others don't, like the variable mode sweep function. In addition, it is faster and easier to build your model in a text file than from a gui.
Very nice program.

WA4CYP Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2007 13:54 Send this review to a friend
An excellent program!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I believe that if the author had priced this powerful software at $800, it would immediately have been declared the "gold standard" and every ham would want it. At $40, it may get passed over in favor of inferior $60 to $100 programs. Don't let the low price fool you - once you get used to this program the others will frustrate you with their clunky user interfaces. It was written for Windows XP, so do be aware that if you are running Vista, you WILL have to go to the Microsoft web site and download WinHlp32.exe to get the help screens to work. Once you attend to that detail, it is at home in Vista.

W8NNX Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2006 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Nec2Go is a winner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had intended to buy the popular antenna analysis program. I saw Nec2Go at the Orlando hamfest. It was much less expensive and allowed antennas with unlimited number of segments. As with the popular program, there is a learning period for beginners.

It works much like the popular one, and is quite easy to use after the learning period. All the instructions are contained in the help files. Printing out the help files makes use very easy. Some information takes a bit of searching, but it is really there: Traps are characterized with a “LOAD” command.

Since all the analysis programs use the public NEC-2 engine, I expected that they would all be equally accurate. I did try an analysis of my existing antennas using an MFJ-259 for the “real world” comparison. After I found and repaired an open trap, the predicted data fell surprisingly close to the measured data. That speaks well for the software.

In summary, Nec2Go is very user friendly. It doesn’t have a segment limitation. It appears to give an accurate analysis. Updates are at no extra charge. The price is right. Nova Plus Software has a winner.

K3GAU Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2004 16:38 Send this review to a friend
This is a good program with lots of flexibility.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this program because I was looking for a way around the 500 segment limit of EZNEC at a reasonable price. What I got was more than I bargained for! NEC2GO is probably the most flexible and has the most features of any of the programs I have. (I have two others) It has things like a matching network designer for L,
T and Pi networks, a coil designer that gives the optimum parameters for the coil and you can model both the effects of 'lossless' and real life transmission line and coax with loss. You can model about any combination of antenna, matching network and transmission line you could ever want. It just has too many features to mention in a short space.

On the negative side, its graphics, as a whole, are ok but not great. If you are use to the way EZNEC does things, it takes some retaining of your thought processes. Some the wire handling features definitely require some thinking. Some of the 'Help' files are confusing to me.

Overall I think it is a great bargin in performance and features vs. price. If NEC2GO had been around in its present form when I went to purchase my first antenna software I would have purchased NEC2GO and maybe not purchased the other brand at all.