Reviews Categories | Ham Repeater Controllers | Arcom RC210 Help

Reviews Summary for Arcom RC210
Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $349
Description: 3 port repeater controller with natural speech and very reasonably priced
More info: http://www.ah6le.net

You can write your own review of the Arcom RC210.

KC5TDG Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2010 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great product. The support is over the top when compared to everyday support, such as cable tv, computer, etc. Any quirks Ive encountered were of my own doing, and after a little patients Ive got it lined out 100%. Works as advertised and is a great product for the price.

N5PTV Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 23:00 Send this review to a friend
Works just fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am not sure what everybody is doing to have so many problems with the 210. I have had a good experience with it. I did have a darlington array go south on me, but that can be attributed to a lightning strike I had just a few feet behind the hamshack. It was only a buck from Mouser anyway. For the money, you cannot beat the features of the 210.

For the guys that don't like to use DTFM over the air, or travel to the site to plug the serial port in, here's an idea. Get a serial to ethernet adapter and plug that into the 210's RS232. Get a couple of Ubiquity Bullet 5 transceivers and some cheap 5.8 grid antennas. You know where this is going, so I will stop. When it's all said and done, you can program the 210 via serial remotely. If you add a router at the site, and a little bandwidth from the house, now you have an internet drop at the site. Now you can have IRLP, or even a port to plug your laptop in when you are at the site. Just an idea some buddies and I were tossing around while bench racing/hamming. One guy actually uses a similar setup to assign ID's to a 800 mhz trunking system remotely. Figure I will give it a try.

N7FM Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2010 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Untruths in some postings  Time owned: more than 12 months
I do not personally own the RC210's used on the local repeaters here. I have helped program and change setting on occasion. The statement that any firmware upgrade requires you to "reprogram the whole controller" is false. Perhaps the update instructions were not followed properly in their case. Every firmware upgrade done here worked perfectly. So far the RC210 has done everything it is supposed to do if programmed properly.

VE3KVD Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2009 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Love this controller  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using about 5 years, control's one main repeater and two half duplex link radios controlling two more repeaters. Automatic weather warnings with Hamtronics modified weather radio, out all ports. The features of this controller is impressive.Using RPC programming software saves a lot of problems rather than DTMF programming, there is a learning curve like most thing in life.
Hooking up the battery backup will also save resetting. We plan to get a second one to give us control of four ARES/ CANWARN repeaters.

KG6MDW Rating: 4/5 Aug 28, 2009 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Good mid-level controller  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this controller over a year ago, initially I didn't get the programming software as I had some experience with the RLC-3. After trying to learn the programming; I gave up and got the software. Although the software has a lot of quirks, Once you learn around them it's fine.

The controller itself is a mid-level controller, it is not as powerful as the RLC-3 or other extremely expensive controllers but it gets the job done. It's vocabulary is not extensive; but they are actual .wav files on a IC; not computer-generated. I do wish it had some words like online, to, canceled, and restored; but you can upload your own .wav files to the DVR and use them as messages. (NOTE: The DVR can only hold 63 seconds and 20 different messages)

This controller does feature 3 auxiliary audio inputs; but they can not be used for control as they do not have a DTMF decoder, and it can only be patched to one port (IE Aux1 cant go to ports 1&2 but AUX 1 can go to port 1 and then you can link ports 1 & 2); However -- it can be used for a S.A.M.E radio or for patching audio from a different controller (ATV etc).

This controller's output ports can be expanded; but you will need to make the interface board.

One important note is that this controller is _CONSTANTLY_ under development and R&D. It is a REALLY good idea to join the yahoo group; as a lot of the users have fixes for small annoyances that Ken hasn't been able to fix yet.

KH8AF Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2009 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Great programming software  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Absolutely the best on the market. The Windows GUI software is user friendly, easy and intuitive. The support is way above average.

We built out 247B's in the 60's, used RC-850's in the 80's and struggled thru the RLC's. They just don't compare to Arcom's RC-210 and we should know, we've been there done that.

Highly recommend

AG4TI Rating: 0/5 Mar 11, 2009 21:21 Send this review to a friend
Didn't work from the beginning  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought Kenwood repeater and rc-210 from Arcom. They wired the cables. The repeater won't key up everytime while your talking. Sent it back and they kept it for 2 months and told wanted to know why I was using tone only. If you want to know if there are any problems with the controller check out their Yahoo Group RC-210 before you buy. Told me if it was in resellabe shape he would refund my money. Complete joke to deal with.

KD7CAO Rating: 4/5 Jan 31, 2007 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Good Hardware / Poor Documentation  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although this is the first controller I have had extensive access to I find the hardware to be top rate. Documentation on the other hand seems to be lacking. Ken has been very helpful and timely on answering questions but, I think it would be wise to enlist the services of some experienced technical manual writers. Then have a person that knows nothing about repeater controllers try and configure the system. Now, I have experience operating technical gadgets but, this was a learning curve. Otherwise a great unit.

KD6HWC Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2007 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Features, low cost!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned this guy for a short time now, but so far it has performed exactly how I want it to. I am using it on a low level garage repeater with IRLP and a remote base (the remote base will be replaced by Echolink sometime). The migration from a RLC-1 to the Arcom was a snap!

Ken was very helpful during the order/delivery stages and continues to be very helpful on the mailing list and takes care of his customers!

I'm keeping my eye on any further products coming from Arcom.

KC2GOW Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2006 17:01 Send this review to a friend
A LOT OF FEATURES  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The RC-210 is one of the better/cheaper multi-port controllers on the market. Once you get through the configuration and learn all of the DO's and DON'Ts of the programming lines, it functions quite well. Sometimes I think that this thing has a mind of its own and can be kind of picky, it works well.

Only cons are the limits of the vocabulary/size of DVR, audio path limitations, and that it cannot multi-task. In this I mean that it does not have the ability to Identify/Send different messages/courtesy tones etc... on all three ports simultaneously.